Petrov/Perez penalty

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Italy88
Italy88

Petrov/Perez penalty

Hi, it may seem provocative but I think that nowadays after a (little) crash,drivers use to stay in the cockpit not for injuries but for ''their care''.
For example, doing the calculations,Perez's deceleration was not so high (the same of a 50km/h crash with a normal car, but with hans, helmet,and 5 point belt,and an 'athlet's body) and Petrov says that he stayed in the car because hi ''he could not feel his legs'' that is due to the fear, not to and injury!
Remenber the big crash of the past, driver, if not injured, used to jump out the car. Driver are now too''pampered'', so they can stop a qualify or a race olny because they have experience with the Ps3 or Xbox, not with the actual race's situations.
This situation is showed also by the fia penalty to race accidents like the hamilton-massa one. If there are not ''drivers of the past'' like alonso, hamilton exc. we will look at races without overtakes!

What is your opinion?
La migliore Ferrari che sia mai stata costruita è la prossima

Mandrake
Mandrake

Re: Petrov/Perez penalty

You can't be serious about Perez, can you? I once hit my head to a ramp while wakeboarding and attempting a backflip.....I was wearing the required safety helmet luckily......but still I had massive headache after that. And I didn't have a concussion.

In the end you as a driver want to make sure you'll be fine.....and if your head aches after such an incident you want to make sure the doc tells you what to do. I would always blame myself for jumping out to quickly from my car to make it look "cool" or whatever but suffering from any damage for the following days / months / years etc.

Sebp

You sit in that car when it crashes then!

And never forget this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo8oA7nI ... re=related[/youtube]

Wendlinger nearly died from the injuries sustained in that crash.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Italy88 wrote:Hi, it may seem provocative but I think that nowadays after a (little) crash,drivers use to stay in the cockpit not for injuries but for ''their care''.
For example, doing the calculations,Perez's deceleration was not so high (the same of a 50km/h crash with a normal car, but with hans, helmet,and 5 point belt,and an 'athlet's body) and Petrov says that he stayed in the car because hi ''he could not feel his legs'' that is due to the fear, not to and injury!
Remenber the big crash of the past, driver, if not injured, used to jump out the car. Driver are now too''pampered'', so they can stop a qualify or a race olny because they have experience with the Ps3 or Xbox, not with the actual race's situations.
This situation is showed also by the fia penalty to race accidents like the hamilton-massa one. If there are not ''drivers of the past'' like alonso, hamilton exc. we will look at races without overtakes!

What is your opinion?
Telling drivers they have to move and get out of the car when they may have serious spinal injuries is utter idiocy. It's basic safety that if you have even the slightest suggestion that you have a head/neck/back injury you stay absolutely still and you let someone else take you out the car.

Italy88
Italy88

how I've writen it's only a provocation
but Wendlinger hit the (tire) wall,not the shock asborbing structure that stopped Perez in not less than 3 meters.
Also in the past (2or 3 years ago)driver could have suffered neck injuries so they had to stay in the car ''although they feel ok'', so why they don't?
I think that today they stay in the car for prevention, that it may be right if it don't need other people (doctors, marshals) to take risks.

bcoxa
bcoxa

Martin Brundle mentioned during the coverage that there's a light in the cockpit that indicates whether an impact has gone above a certain G threshold. And if that is the case then the driver can't get out of the car, the marshals won't allow it.
I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Petrov legs was stuck in the car, he couldn't leave his car.

If you hit a wall with your car, at 180 KM/h, we will see if you will be able to get out the car by yourself.

After a crash, if the driver is fine, he leave the car by himself, if his don't do that, it's because he cannot that's all, i don't understand your thread sorry.

After a big crash like Perez, we don't care about quali or race, health driver is much more important than that.

Tozza Mazza

Petrov is 6 foot 4, his car deformed around his legs and he couldn't feel them. stop winging. Button didn't win, he should have won, stop finding stuff to moan about.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Italy88 wrote:how I've writen it's only a provocation
but Wendlinger hit the (tire) wall,not the shock asborbing structure that stopped Perez in not less than 3 meters.
Also in the past (2or 3 years ago)driver could have suffered neck injuries so they had to stay in the car ''although they feel ok'', so why they don't?
I think that today they stay in the car for prevention, that it may be right if it don't need other people (doctors, marshals) to take risks.

Can you give some example ? Petrov and Perez cannot leave their car, so can you give other example ? :)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

So, a guy says he stayed in the car because he couldn't feel his legs and he's being soft? Is the OP for real?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Italy88
Italy88

there is a lot of big crashes more dramatic than that in which driver walked away. Petrov's car didn't deformed around his legs, the weel just penetrated the nose cone!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Italy88 wrote:there is a lot of big crashes more dramatic than that in which driver walked away. Petrov's car didn't deformed around his legs, the weel just penetrated the nose cone!
"just"

Seriously, if you can't feel your legs, you're not moving.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Always air on the side of caution when saftey is concerned.

Perez acceleromiter seemingly hit 200G whitch the blue light on (and stayed on) the steering wheel came on, as for the Petrov incedent, his light came on but was flashing so it was a impact of over 100G, but the chassis deformed arround his legs and he bumped his head and went out cold for a few seconds. Also Petrov has been carrying back pain since his flying expedition in Malasia.

Drivers are trained to stay in the car in those incedents. Saftey is paramount.

What needs changed is the Red Flag procedures with regaurds to tyres. Not safety.

Italy88
Italy88

ESPImperium thanks [...]
Last edited by Steven on 30 May 2011, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed response to deleted posts

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Italy88 wrote:Hi, it may seem provocative but I think that nowadays after a (little) crash,drivers use to stay in the cockpit not for injuries but for ''their care''.

What is your opinion?
It is perfectly sensible that a driver stays in the car after a crash unless it is dangerous to do so. There is very sound medical reasoning behind this. I remember when I was about 14 I was assisted to come off my bike when I didn't want to, hit my head on the ground and blacked out for a couple seconds despite wearing a cycle helmet. I then proceeded with the remainder of the 25 mile cycle for the rest of the day (which as it turns out was very stupid). Later that day when I got home and told my Dad about the damage to me and the bike he took me down to the local health centre. Turned out I had a minor concussion and should have not carried on with the rest of the cycle route.

My point being, we can easily have unknown injuries and feel perfectly fine even after the smallest of accident. The FIAs thinking is better safe than sorry. I see no problem with this approach at all and it is nothing to do with drivers being "pampered".

As for driver penalties for causing crashes, again this is correct. Given that the FIA promotes road safety it is only correct that this type of penalty is handed out.