F1technical.net member meeting in Spa?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

F1technical.net member meeting in Spa?

Hi All,

We all love sitting at home in front of our computer and browsing through f1technical.net. Because it is fun. 8)
But what about a real life gathering and discussion?

Maybe all who want could meet at the race in Belgium? What do you think Tomba?

A lot of us live in the UK, so Silverstone would be an option too, but I think it is very expensive and maybe also sold out already. Maybe someone of us owns a pub in London or elswhere in the UK and we could watch the race (with live timing) there. Just a proposal.
Maybe no one is interested in a real life meeting anyway. I don't know.

A meeting next year in Texas would be awesome as well.

I know this thread is slightly off-topic, but please mods, leave it here (at least for some time) as no one seems to really care about the off-topic part of the forum and people would not notice this thread if it was there. Thanks, Matt.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: F1technical.net member meeting in Spa?

I think it would be a good idea too.

Mods, any thoughts or ideas?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet

I see nothing wrong with a meet up thread. Maybe even Tomba could make a couple of F1T mailing group to keep everyone in the loop, but that would be a lot of maintenance. The scondary option is just a new forum sub heading that we could all go to any time. Make it like the race thread where there is "Canada Meetup 2011" or "Spa Meetup 2011".

So long as it is in one place, it should be fine. The mailing groups might not be a good idea as they require routine maintenance of adding people.

What I do know is that my loose planning with a couple of phone numbers didn't work out, especially when some are General Admission, and I ended up spending the weekend with the camera as my guide, but that was fine as I am not sure any of my non f1 friends could have handled my enthusiasm.

The longer lead time, the better. Also good for accommodation. Get 10 people to buy in to a hotel NOW for Austin, and you might be able to get some deals (or at least all be in the same hotel so you can attack the track together).

Next year in Texas, I am in. I plan on a double header, Canada and Texas. Should make a good contrast.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

donskar

Giblet wrote: The longer lead time, the better. Also good for accommodation. Get 10 people to buy in to a hotel NOW for Austin, and you might be able to get some deals (or at least all be in the same hotel so you can attack the track together).

Next year in Texas, I am in. I plan on a double header, Canada and Texas. Should make a good contrast.
I live in Houston (about 2.5 - 3 hours drive from Austin) and have a son at Univ of TX in Austin, but am NOT an authority on Texas tourism, accomodations, etc. With that caveat:
YES, plan NOW. Austin is a very lively city, with something always going on. Casting your net outside the city might be wise. San Antonio is an easy drive -- 30-45 minutes away from Austin -- and is a major city. Unfortunately, San Anonio and lots of other locales around Austin are tourist attractions, so -- again -- start looking early, but don't expect to "Steal" accomodations. Suggestions: Round Rock, Georgetown, San Antonio, New Braunfels (lots of German influence), Pflugerville, Lockhart (barbecue capitol of Texas), San Marcos, Bastrop, Elgin (great sausage), La Grange (famous for a whore house, Xpensive). Route 290 connects Houston and Austin, good high speed 4-lane highway with lots of small towns (with motels). About 6-10 of us plan to rent a van, drive from Houston and squeeze into my son's 1-bedroom apartment in Austin. He'll hate it, but I pay the tuition.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

flynfrog

have they announced the dates yet for texas?

donskar

flynfrog wrote:have they announced the dates yet for texas?
June 17. Could be a very hot one.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

dren

Me and a friend are driving from southern Indiana to Austin next year for the first GP there. I am in for a meet up then.
Honda!

xpensive

donskar wrote:
flynfrog wrote:have they announced the dates yet for texas?
June 17. Could be a very hot one.
What are they thinking? But Spa sounds like a plan any ideas on how to arrange dinner and a decent booze-up?

Can we show-off our miss...I mean bring the ladies?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Im sure the belgian ladies would suffice, eh X?
David Purley

xpensive

Fagedid JET...unless you have a faiblesse for women raised on Trappist beer and fries with mayonaise...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

xpensive wrote:Fagedid JET...unless you have a faiblesse for women raised on Trappist beer and fries with mayonaise...
And not all svensk ladies are 5ft 10 with legs to their mammaries complete with obligatory blue eyes.
David Purley

xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
xpensive wrote:Fagedid JET...unless you have a faiblesse for women raised on Trappist beer and fries with mayonaise...
And not all svensk ladies are 5ft 10 with legs to their mammaries complete with obligatory blue eyes.
Together with heavy doses of Absolut they sure do!

Ciro Pabón

I protest. You forgot today your excellent education. Who is the owner of this forum? (I mean, besides Tomba, that mainly works in it for HER).

If that's the way you're going to keep talking about locals, you better bring ladies, X. Now, is that a good idea, when around you there might be handsome and talkative Latinos?

Secondly, that is like bringing wood to the forest. It's a Grand Prix, man! Ladies are abundant. Gentlemen like ourselves, on the other hand, are not.

Finally, instead of a possible new romance, it will be the same old... thing (for you, at least). Unless you do a Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

Anyway, bring them, please. I beg you. They will not repent... You, on the other hand, explain to me: what's going through your mind? Would you bring "your" ladies to a meeting with US? Are you crazy?

(erase that, to be in this forum you have to be crazy).
Ciro

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Lets see what X brings eh, Ciro?

I have some high expectations!
David Purley

Giblet

I've heard much talk of these mistresses over the years. My expectations are high. Many can get quality, and many can get quantity, but it's a rare man who brings both.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute