Post crash procedure for Vettel after crunch in P1 - Canada

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
forty-two

Post crash procedure for Vettel after crunch in P1 - Canada

Listening closely to the radio transmissions between Seb and Rocky following his crunch into the wall of champions during P1 in Canada, Rocky told him:

"Understood. Usual Procedure. P-1 ten seconds, P-0 Please. You OK?"

Can anyone tell me what this procedure might be for. Presumably they're looking after the car in some way. If the car was fitted with a fan for example, I guess they might give it a blast to cool things down, but since they're not allowed to, what could this be for?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Post crash procedure for Vettel after crunch in P1 - Can

Maybe some sort of engine shut down procedure? I've heard transmissions like this before.

Ciro Pabón

Maybe it's the usual procedure for stopping a car on the side of the track during races. You know, clutch disengaged, main switch off, steering wheel connected and whatnot.

This is mandatory per regulations when you stop (I guess also when you crash) a car, so that it can be retired quickly.

Most of those few switches have to be accessible to marshals from outside the cockpit (also by regulations, at least the clutch that I remember), in case the driver is unable to move them, but if you leave the car without attending them you get a penalty.
Ciro

Just_a_fan

Perhaps it's to ensure the KERS system is discharged or something?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32

And how do you discharge the KERS without melting something?

Brian

ESPImperium

Its to shut down KERS, even tho the batteries are still live, it puts a short in the circuit to close it down. The KERS will not be discharged. I believe it also takes the MGU out of active use as well.

Im sure it will also put the engine into safe mode as well to preserve it for future use.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

forty-two wrote:Listening closely to the radio transmissions between Seb and Rocky following his crunch into the wall of champions during P1 in Canada, Rocky told him:

"Understood. Usual Procedure. P-1 ten seconds, P-0 Please. You OK?"

Can anyone tell me what this procedure might be for.
I wonder if it as something to do with the fire marshall falling over. :wink:

Full_Opposite_Lock

ESPImperium wrote:Its to shut down KERS, even tho the batteries are still live, it puts a short in the circuit to close it down. The KERS will not be discharged. I believe it also takes the MGU out of active use as well.

Im sure it will also put the engine into safe mode as well to preserve it for future use.
A short? Surely that can't be right? (Very limited knowledge of electroinics here)

Caito

The clutch has to be disengaged. I believe the rules call for at least 10min post-crash for the clutch to hold on disengaged.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

ringo

hardingfv32 wrote:And how do you discharge the KERS without melting something?

Brian
It's on the crank shaft, so i guess neutralling the gearbox and using the KERS to turn the engine, the power could be dissipated that way.
The engine can probably just turn over and compress air till the KERS is used up.
For Sure!!