[Rumor] Schumacher about to extend contract to 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MrBlacky
MrBlacky

[Rumor] Schumacher about to extend contract to 2014

Only german source so far I have found: http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 61028.html

He says that RB has needed the same time to get the car going well (5 years), like as he did at Ferrari.

Undead_Mud

Re: [Rumor] Schumacher about to extend contract to 2014

I don't how much of the knowledge they gain now with the W02 and the W03 can be applied to the W04/W05 etc under the new regulations.
Of course they will have things like the new simulator etc. that take time to be built and to pay off. Their team-structure is still in development with key people (Bell) coming. Those things are almost independent of regulations.

Rosberg/Schumacher should be a good team to build up something imo, but I think Rosberg will reap the rewards.
As a fan of Schumacher I would like to see him pick up wins and maybe title No. 8, but after 25 races waiting for him to find his former speed you start having doubts. :lol:

Anyway I would like to see him for longer, if he can at least maintain the performance gap to Rosberg. Beeing beaten, but noch humiliated.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I can see the Merc board pulling the plug if the team doesn't start getting some decent results by the end of this year and throughout 2012.

rfs

I think if Schumacher really wanted to return to racing so badly, he should have gone into endurance racing, not F1. He could have added a couple of Le Mans wins (with Audi perhaps) to his long list of F1 victories, and further establish himself as a racing legend. Instead he's making his fans suffer, and occupying an F1 seat a younger, hungrier, and faster driver could have had.

Caito
Caito

He wants to race in a F1, if he can win, better. Lemans is slow compared to what an F1 can do. He's old, has money has talent, he can afford racing an F1.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

donskar
donskar

rfs wrote:I think if Schumacher really wanted to return to racing so badly, he should have gone into endurance racing, not F1. He could have added a couple of Le Mans wins (with Audi perhaps) to his long list of F1 victories, and further establish himself as a racing legend. Instead he's making his fans suffer, and occupying an F1 seat a younger, hungrier, and faster driver could have had.
Speak for yourself: I'm a Schu fan, and Schu is NOT making me "suffer."

And please note: Schu did NOT want "to return to racing." He wanted to return to the specifc type of racing of which he was the master (in terms of recorded success). Returning to racing, but going to endurance racing, (which I love) might have struck him as analogous to a great tennis player coming out of retirement in order to play ping-pong. All IMHO, natch.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Jeffsvilleusa

You can draw the ironic comparison with Lance Armstrong- both 7x winners, both made lackluster comebacks. David Hobbs remarked, 'I wouldn't have done it.'

But he came back, suffered being beat by Nico, and if he wants to stick it out, more power to him! I don't think any young driver is being neglected for having Michael in the sport, even if he seems to be a shadow of his former self, he still seems feisty as ever, and if Fangio could win at 'advanced ages' why not Michael?

Personally I don't think his comeback was wise, but if he's willing to stick it out F1 is the better for it.
Box! Box!

xpensive
xpensive

First of all, I think there are two ways of beholding MS' comeback, to those who always resented some of his on-track antics,
I'm sure they enjoy watching him eating the humble pie. For the fans, it should be like watching your mother drunk! :lol:

Anyway, I can't see him hanging around for three more years without notable success, while if the W02 to is written off,
he just might leave after this season, claiming his old neck injury made it impossible for him to compete with Rosberg.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

rfs

donskar wrote: Speak for yourself: I'm a Schu fan, and Schu is NOT making me "suffer."
OK then. But I doubt most of his fans could tolerate seeing him drive more races like Turkey 2011.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Again, you speak not for yourself but rather try to impose yourself and your thoughts upon the others.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

marcush.
marcush.

Schumacher is not one to give up -I could imagine that rosberg would fade away if things do not improve significantly now.
For Rosberg it is absolutely mandatory to decide now to either stay and hope for an upturn or leave -because it´s the start of the end anyways..
Schumacher will end his career with Mercedes so ...he is in a comfortable position.

I still don´t see what s the difference of Webber beaten by Vettel and Schumacher beaten by Rosberg.100 championships do not help your case in beating your teammate and as long as he is quicker well tha´s reality.It´s not as big an issue as last year because of the pirellis but still Rosberg is in front point wise So we can conclude Scumacher is not as successful as Rosberg but then who would be ?

donskar
donskar

marcush. wrote:For Rosberg it is absolutely mandatory to decide now to either stay and hope for an upturn or leave -because it´s the start of the end anyways..
Schumacher will end his career with Mercedes so ...he is in a comfortable position.
Very good point. Rosberg could end up being another J Villeneuve -- his loyalty to an underperforming team (BAR) might have cost him a WDC or two.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Hangaku

andrew wrote:I can see the Merc board pulling the plug if the team doesn't start getting some decent results by the end of this year and throughout 2012.
Traditionally I would agree with this, as it's often the case in F1 (a plan of x years on either return on success), but with Mercedes I get the impression that failure is not an option. It's certainly the image that they portray in their business (namely road cars and other racing series they are and have been associated with) so I think if Merc pull out of F1 without doing *something* it will reflect badly on the brand.

Besides, I feel that they aren't _that_ far off, they just need that last *something* to click. Don't ask me what that might be though.

/not working in F1
//overuse of *something*
Yer.

marcush.
marcush.

I think there are not many drivers around and available to Merc better suited to the job than Michael.
Again he has shown good speed in Canada .the difference to hot property and future champ Rosberg is zero.Compare this with Webber/Vettel for example.Rosberg really needs to beat Schumacher on every occasion when Michael can and will always try to build the team for the profit of Rosberg as well.
If I were Merc i would try to sign Michael early for another year and hope to be able to keep Rosberg who could end up staying ,going to Ferrari RedBull or Mclaren...who knows?

Pierce89

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:You can draw the ironic comparison with Lance Armstrong- both 7x winners, both made lackluster comebacks. David Hobbs remarked, 'I wouldn't have done it.'

But he came back, suffered being beat by Nico, and if he wants to stick it out, more power to him! I don't think any young driver is being neglected for having Michael in the sport, even if he seems to be a shadow of his former self, he still seems feisty as ever, and if Fangio could win at 'advanced ages' why not Michael?

Personally I don't think his comeback was wise, but if he's willing to stick it out F1 is the better for it.
It's disgraceful to compare the Schoser to Fangio. Fangio was a true old school racer. You know, lighting up a fag coming to the checkers, real man. Schumacher does not deserve a comparison to a driver that was so respected by his peers.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher