Rumour: Renault to buy stake of Williams in 2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Rumour: Renault to buy stake of Williams in 2012

Wow guess I wasn't checking the news today.

That is good news. They need a good engine from a consistent supply, but it's not good for Cosworth.

I openly asked this question recently, it seemed to make more sense after BMW left them and Toyota pulled out of the sport entirely.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Shrieker

Bad for them it won't change a thing. Willams can't make a good chasis anymore, fact. Will they ever bounce back ? IMHO they're following the route of Tyrrell.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Richard
Richard

... and Lotus

gridwalker
gridwalker

... and Brabham.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

marcush.
marcush.

Mclaren reached ground zero before Ron dennis took over and look at them now .They also had time4s with no wins ...

Williams and Head surely have missed some golden chances but would williams or the williams name still exist now if they had sold up to BMW?

They are not as bad as Lotus,Tyrrell or Brabham were in their last years...

Sebp

Maybe (hopefully) they'll do a Ferrari on us with a top driver.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

marcush.
marcush.

ferrari the best example for a rise from the ashes of course..how many years?yes 21 between scheckter and Schumachers win...

FW17

marcush. wrote:ferrari the best example for a rise from the ashes of course..how many years?yes 21 between scheckter and Schumachers win...

The differance is Ferrari always had a pot of gold to spare which is not the case with williams. The current doldrum in williams is more due to the lack of money more than organisation.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

marcush. wrote:Mclaren
Would McLaren be where they are today without Mercedes-Benz? I doubt it very much.
Was that a masterstroke by Dennis? Who knows.

But top class engines and £80 million a year no questions asked is about as good as it gets. And McLaren had that for nearly 15 years.
More could have been done.
David Purley