Will Honda come back to F1??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
amouzouris

Will Honda come back to F1??

Since Honda engine pretty much dominated the turbo era... will honda come back as an engine supplier in 2014??

flynfrog

Re: Will Honda come back to F1??

no..

amouzouris

why do u say that??

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Because there's no reason for a OEM like Honda to waste the money on it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Raptor22
Raptor22

agreed. I cannot se that the V6 turbo falls into their marketing strategy.

the 4cyclinder was a much better option for the OEM's.

For Mercedes and Ferrari the V6 makes more sense since they have small V engines in the pipeline for the future.
Renault is a bit of an oddity since its not really their business either but its a suitable compromise
For the VAG group, If it apeals to them it will likely race under the official works engines under the Porsche name and provide customer engines under SEAT, VW and perhaps even Suzuki.
they did prefer the 4 cyclinder turbo though. its unlikely they will sign up to F1 either.

747heavy

Raptor22 wrote: agreed.
I cannot se that the V6 turbo falls into their marketing strategy.
the 4cyclinder was a much better option for the OEM's.
if this is the case, why they didn´t want a 4 cylinder Indycar engine ?
Honda Performance Development president Erik Berkman has made no secret of the fact that HPD preferred a V-6 over an inline 4-cylinder layout because it would allow the company to design a basic engine that could be adapted to IndyCar or ACO/American Le Mans Series specification.

http://espn.go.com/racing/blog/_/name/o ... id/5268748
I think this whole OEM´s wanting 4 cylinder engines is a myth and blown completely out of proportions.
Look at Audi, Mercedes and BMW in DTM, brand new rules for 2012, and what is the engine? V8´s

WTCC going to GRE spec (which does make sense IMHO) and what is the result?
Only one factory team left, and nobody beating a trail to their door and wanting to join the series because of the engine spec.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

elmerfud
elmerfud

The story I heard was upon the initial announcement of the turbo 4, were voices of interest from Honda and Toyota. Then Mosely and Eccelstone had a flirtation with Volkswagon to supply all bottom ends for the motors, like a 'world' motor I think they called it.

All hints of Japanese OEM interest stopped dead, and that remains so.

The ageing heads of the f1 machine should have flown salesmen to Japan and LISTENED!!!