Bought a Sauber C16

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
iceracer

Bought a Sauber C16

helo guys!..
Bought an Sauber C16!
car is dressed in Ferrari red, i will leave it there!...
however in future i think i will bring it back to Petronas Sauber outfit
goal in futuere is to make trackdays!..
at moment iam aiming for the Holeshot hayabusa, but that can be changed during this "ride"!..
i think it will be a long term project!..
need a engine but got org gearbox and diffs..

feel free to info about parts n tech stuff for this C16!
Last edited by Giblet on 22 Jul 2011, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title

Tozza Mazza

Re: Bought an C16

Wow, this is really cool. Could you upload loads and loads of images, especially internals?

Would love to see the front wing in a lot of detail too.

Thanks, Tozza.

elmerfud

Man, I envy you. Ihave dreamt of reviving a roller for hillclimbs. Have a look at the RA007 build thread, I'm betting whoever is reverse engineering his gearbox is screwing every last penny out of the guy.
DO ALL THE WORK YOURSELF! Buy a mill and a lathe (manual), a tig welder, make it happen.
I'd recommend a production based motor (nissan V8), if the gearbox is worn hunt around for a similar package from a lower categorie. Most importantly, don't destroy the originality of the chassis a donor parts because one day that car will be a collectors item.

iceracer

well Elemerud!
gearbox will screw me too!...but that was into the plan from the beginning!..
we will se what happens, i have just checked it out under the enginecover..
-n iam pretty happy!..

Jersey Tom

Gonna be a rough ride with hard links for dampers! :)
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Caito

Blow exhaust! Sry, had to.

As recommended, check the thread about the RA007, a guy who bought a recent f1 and is doing a similar thing.

Since your car is older I hope it could be cheaper to you. Still you would need to copy almost half a car in case you crash :(
Come back 747, we miss you!!

pascaljackson

ups, im an idiot ;)

congratulation mate, i hope you'll have a lot of fun

marcush.

I´m pretty sure Sauber is very keen to help ..they surely have the CAD files and maybe there is even acess to molds and such for bodywork and wings ....good cotnacts with them is the start of it all.

F1snake

Many congratulations on your purchase of the Sauber. I have seen this car, and it is truly stunning looking.

With regards to your gearbox, I would recommend speaking to Hewland as we have done(BTW elmerfud, no one is screwing us for anything, Hewland has been great and not cost us a penny so far despite a load of work done)There were many reasons not to use the original internals, as described on the thread re the RA107 we bought. One big reason when using the H1V8 is that this engine will only rev to 11-12k RPM and the box you have in the car is obviously designed to run at much higher rpm than that. Hewland has come up with a solution that enables us to use of the shelf ratios and a proven design. Our biggest set back on the gearbox was that we cannot use the carbon casing, a problem you do not have.

Best of luck with your build, Matt. Don't hesitate to get in touch if I can be of help.

ced381

Please upload tons of pictures!!!
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

imightbewrong

Where in Sweden are you located?

iceracer

imightbewrong wrote:Where in Sweden are you located?
feel free to send me a pm with your e-mail adress ,,if there is something you want to know!?..

iceracer

F1snake wrote:Many congratulations on your purchase of the Sauber. I have seen this car, and it is truly stunning looking.

With regards to your gearbox, I would recommend speaking to Hewland as we have done(BTW elmerfud, no one is screwing us for anything, Hewland has been great and not cost us a penny so far despite a load of work done)There were many reasons not to use the original internals, as described on the thread re the RA107 we bought. One big reason when using the H1V8 is that this engine will only rev to 11-12k RPM and the box you have in the car is obviously designed to run at much higher rpm than that. Hewland has come up with a solution that enables us to use of the shelf ratios and a proven design. Our biggest set back on the gearbox was that we cannot use the carbon casing, a problem you do not have.

Best of luck with your build, Matt. Don't hesitate to get in touch if I can be of help.
-thanks for that, F1snake! :)
well it looks like Hewland is a way to doit-i will check with them what possible!

iceracer

There are much to do for the c16 before i can go on gearbox/engine package!
first i need to get front n rearshock working, rads, n braking..
obviosly this will take time and there will be no progress from one day to another!..
my wish schedule is like ..if i got the above mention parts sorted out before 24 december!-Iam lucky!,,n after that i will go for gearbox/engine package!..

fingers crossed! :)

bosanac1

so cool

F1 technical becoming owners club for formula 1 cars :)

i am assuming you bought this one
http://www.jameslist.com/advert/218204/ ... ny-herbert

hope you don't mind me sharing link