Gordon Murray joins (Group) Lotus

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Gordon Murray joins (Group) Lotus

Neil Oatley and Pat Fry's cars don't seem to be doing too bad
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive
xpensive

There you go Don, Murray was right there when F1-design was not all about aero, I can visualize every Brabham he did, from the triangular-profiled BT42, over the cumbersome Alfa-engined cars, to the 1300 Hp qualy cars of the 80s with barn-door rear-wings.

With todays rules and ridicilous emphasis on aero, I don't think he would be interested at all, do you?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

nah..he did forward the mechanical engineers answer to the lotus wingcar concept:Put a BIG fan module on the backl of the car and create a serious pressure drop and call it a cooling device.
The interpretetation is close to : a slot is not a hole..

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:nah..he did forward the mechanical engineers answer to the lotus wingcar concept:Put a BIG fan module on the backl of the car and create a serious pressure drop and call it a cooling device.
The interpretetation is close to : a slot is not a hole..
It was a cooling device actually, sucking air through horizontal radiators above the engine, creating an under-pressure in the process though, how could he possibly have helped it, that's what fans do, isn't it?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:There you go Don, Murray was right there when F1-design was not all about aero, I can visualize every Brabham he did, from the triangular-profiled BT42, over the cumbersome Alfa-engined cars, to the 1300 Hp qualy cars of the 80s with barn-door rear-wings.

With todays rules and ridicilous emphasis on aero, I don't think he would be interested at all, do you?
No. He -- like John Barnard and Mike Pilbeam and others -- is not interested in the endless chase for another 0.1 kilo of downforce.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

gridwalker
gridwalker

To be honest, I find this announcement slightly depressing : I have a horrible vision of them slapping his name onto Lotus marketing material like they slap George Foreman's name onto those stupid "grilling machines" ...

Why does this always happen to people who I hold in high esteem?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

donskar
donskar

gridwalker wrote:To be honest, I find this announcement slightly depressing : I have a horrible vision of them slapping his name onto Lotus marketing material like they slap George Foreman's name onto those stupid "grilling machines" ...

Why does this always happen to people who I hold in high esteem?
Don't go to the dark side yet. Everything I've read about Gordon Murray suggests he is "genuine" -- not the kind to sell out.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill