Red Bull extends Renault engine deal for another five years

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Morteza

Red Bull extends Renault engine deal for another five years

Autosport wrote:Red Bull Racing has extended its engine partnership deal with Renault for a further five years, as AUTOSPORT predicted, meaning the two companies will continue working together until 2017.

Having originally begun their tie-up in 2007, the Red Bull Racing-Renault alliance helped deliver the world championship last year and is on course to add more titles this campaign.

The current Red Bull Racing deal ended in 2012, and the team had been close to extending it earlier this year before there was a late change in plans for when a new engine formula was being introduced in Formula 1.

The new deal will see more technical collaboration between Red Bull Racing and Renault, which will include KERS. Work will also be done together on developing innovative technical solutions for the new V6 engines that are coming into F1 in 2014.

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner said: "We're obviously thrilled to announce this significantly enhanced agreement with the Renault-Nissan Alliance, who we have enjoyed a close working relationship with since 2007.

"Renault Sport F1 has always been very straight-forward to work with, which has been a contributing factor to the on-going success of the Red Bull Racing Renault partnership

Jean-Francois Caubet, Managing Director of Renault Sport F1, added: "The V6 power units due to be introduced from 2014 represent a huge undertaking and to have the input, resources and vast inhouse F1 car expertise of Red Bull Technology will help the team at Renault Sport F1 in Viry-Châtillon specify, design and develop a competitive unit from the start of the new regulations and optimize its structural integration into the chassis.

"Having this particular support will of course be to the advantage of our other team partners, who will indirectly benefit from the joint expertise of the Red Bull Racing and Renault Sport F1."

Renault will also power the Renault team, Williams and Team Lotus in F1 next year.

Red Bull Racing owner Dietrich Mateschitz said earlier this year that Renault was always its preferred option in terms of a long-term engine partner.

"We always tried to be associated with a big manufacturer," he told AUTOSPORT. "Renault will remain our first approach for a deal for 2013 and beyond."
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

HampusA

Re: Red Bull extends Renault engine deal for another five ye

Not sure they had any other way to go here though :)
I doubt Merc or Ferrari would give engines to their competitor.

I guess signing a new engine deal from 2013 is a bit of a gamble really.
The truth will come out...

ced381

I guess this is good news, both parties seem happy with the deal. ...but I really wanted a Volkswagen/Audi engine at Red Bull Racing in 2014...

Well in the end it doesn't really matter, as long as RBR is racing at the front! :)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

munudeges
munudeges

Audi/VW were simply not committing and Renault clearly with development of the new turbo. Red Bull couldn't afford to wait and see what happened, there is now a clear development path for the engines through to 2014 and beyond and it means they will have a different engine to all their main rivals.

With four Renault teams on the grid next season expect equalisation this winter.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Renault are happy with engines, Lotus also appear to be setting the top speeds at Monza. Why do we need "equalisation" when the engines are near as dammit equal?
More could have been done.
David Purley

FW17

So that is 4 teams with engines for 2014

Red Bull - Renault
Ferrari - Ferrari
Mclaren - Mercedes
Mercedes - Mercedes

munudeges
munudeges

The reason why they are all happy is because there are enough teams on the grid now to make things happen for them. There is more to straight line performance than speed trap figures. The only thing the current Renault lacks is top end power, and then all the engines will be equal. If it's not underpowered then we'll find out anyway. :wink:

xpensive
xpensive

I have the strongest hunch that the four Renault-powered teams will be reduced to three within rather soon,
as I don't xpect Lotus Genii(talia) to continue much longer.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

True. Unless someone buys that Renault/Genital team then we're surely going to lose another team next season. Pity really, because although the technical nucleus is good the management are idiots. They were silly enough to believe that Group Lotus actually had some money.

HampusA

WilliamsF1 wrote:So that is 4 teams with engines for 2014

Red Bull - Renault
Ferrari - Ferrari
Mclaren - Mercedes
Mercedes - Mercedes
Wish BMW would hop in again but as a engine supplier, they made some fine engines over the years.
(and some un-reliable ones but that´s part of evolution ;))
The truth will come out...

raymondu999

Wasn't it on sale a few years back? Also what happened to the Pollock-PURE operation?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

HampusA wrote:Not sure they had any other way to go here though :)
I doubt Merc or Ferrari would give engines to their competitor.
That pretty much says it all
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Mercedes do provide engines to their competitors, and as a matter of fact have lost to them every year [except for when they were Brawn GP].

But RBR should have been pioneers and chosen to go with the P.U.R.E engines!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive
xpensive

I believe this means that Red Bull will effectively be the Renault factory team from 2012 and on, the Genii(talia) team will almost certainly be part of history by then.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

I don't think it will be a factory team in that RBR won't change themselves to Renault F1, but certainly the partnership will be of that ilk.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法