Are we seeing a Vettel era?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are we?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 140

mnmracer
mnmracer

Re: Are we seeing a Vettel era?

banibhusan wrote:I was expecting that. :D

That avatar only signifies my admiration for his driving abilities. I never said that I am a die-hard fan of Alonso and I agree with all his actions off track. Similarly Vettel may be a highly talented driver etc etc etc, but he shouldn't have done that.

I hope I am clear this time. :wink:
The temptation to make that remark was just too great ;) As we say in the Netherlands: "a shot for an open goal" :D
Maelstrom wrote:I rate Webber as a slightly better driver than Vettel. But thats just me. The end of the 2012 season should show if i'm right or wrong.

I think we have seen the end of the Vettel era this year. If there was ever any chance of one in the first place. My prediction is that we'll have a new WDC this year.
Three years straight, Vettel has beaten Webber in both racing and even more so in qualifying. Even before all the conspiracy theorists went nuts, in 2009 Vettel was beating Webber. Before, with, after EBD, Vettel was the faster one. You can like a driver all you want, but if by now you still don't see who's the faster of the two, you're in serious denial. Two races, in which Vettel beat Webber on speed both instances, in 2012 will not change that.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Maelstrom wrote:I rate Webber as a slightly better driver than Vettel. But thats just me. The end of the 2012 season should show if i'm right or wrong.

I think we have seen the end of the Vettel era this year. If there was ever any chance of one in the first place. My prediction is that we'll have a new WDC this year.
Three years straight, Vettel has beaten Webber in both racing and even more so in qualifying. Even before all the conspiracy theorists went nuts, in 2009 Vettel was beating Webber. Before, with, after EBD, Vettel was the faster one. You can like a driver all you want, but if by now you still don't see who's the faster of the two, you're in serious denial. Two races, in which Vettel beat Webber on speed both instances, in 2012 will not change that.
Perhaps you are right. But 2010 was a lot closer between the two. He lost the game in 2011 as did Hamilton. You can make a good case from this that Button is a better driver. But I don't think that's necessarily the truth. The car of the last two years suited Vettel more. He was able to get performance from it that Webber couldn't. The situation might have changed this year though. Time will tell.

okayplayer
okayplayer

n smikle wrote:
CHT wrote:We should all be glad that vettel is not having the best car on the grid this season. This will at least give him the opportunity to prove himself as a worthy champion.
His lips are getting pretty loose now... As I said earlier in this thread I think when he struggles we are seeing the real Vettel. I think by next year he will be the next "F1 villian."

Disrespecting other drivers is a good start:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17506568

edit: middle finger to the world! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYn6fAI ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

this is surely going to be an interesting season for this boy.

Somehow it seems to me that he was pushing really hard getting aside Karthikeyan to show the finger again and again :roll:
maybe he could have saved his tire from exploding by going a bit more easy.

banibhusan

okayplayer wrote: Somehow it seems to me that he was pushing really hard getting aside Karthikeyan to show the finger again and again :roll:
maybe he could have saved his tire from exploding by going a bit more easy.
He couldn't have saved the tyres in any way because it was a puncture and he still had few corners and long straight to go. But there might be a risk of damaging the rear bodywork in which case he would have been forced to retire.

It happened with someone recently, no? Forgot with whom. #-o

alelanza
alelanza

Wow, imagine if those fingers and idiot comments came from LH. Of course their careers up to here have been quite different, but i would at least expect an apology from Vettel around china for his overactive fingers. Heat of the moment i understand, however it's very telling to see him under so much pressure by the second race of the season.
Alejandro L.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

He is just like any other top driver - he gets annoyed when things don't go his way. It's not the first time he's acted like this. Glad people see that now, because last season he was made out to be whiter than white. Of course he will be happy if he is always winning!

Giblet
Giblet

If you were going into Eau Rouge, and there was a Red Bull about to pass you at the bottom of the hill, would you rather it be Vettel, or Webber?

Any tricky pass like that, I would pick Webber at this point every time.

I truly think Vettel is one of the best if not the best at finding maximum grip in the most important places in the circuit over a single lap. He is also one of the fastest in clear air.

I'm thinking of changing the title of the tread, wondering if anyone would object, to "Are we seeing a Vettel dynasty?". Era just means a length of time, so technically we are also in the Karthikeyan era. Dynasty in the context of sports has usually meant championships over many seasons, until the dynasty collapses. The Ferrari dynasty collapsed when the whole team went elsewhere. Usually 3 or more IIRC.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Giblet wrote:If you were going into Eau Rouge, and there was a Red Bull about to pass you at the bottom of the hill, would you rather it be Vettel, or Webber?
Now there's a conundrum! :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

Nando
Nando

Giblet wrote:I truly think Vettel is one of the best if not the best at finding maximum grip in the most important places in the circuit over a single lap. He is also one of the fastest in clear air.
This is why Webber has out-qualified him twice this year?
Vettel is overrated. Don´t get me wrong, he´s a fantastic driver no doubt.
But on the same level as Alonso and Hamilton? No chance. In any department.

As far as Eau Rouge comment, would not matter as the first person entering Eau Rouge loses at Les Combes anyways due to DRS. Just ask Webbo.

Giblet
Giblet

If it was not Webber in that corner with Alonso, and it was some other driver we are talking about, I doubt both would have made up the hill at all.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Giblet wrote:If it was not Webber in that corner with Alonso, and it was some other driver we are talking about, I doubt both would have made up the hill at all.
Alonso vs Massa = lol, I'm faster than you.

Webber vs Vettel = Hard times.

Hamilton vs Massa = Instant death.

Nando
Nando

Giblet wrote:If it was not Webber in that corner with Alonso, and it was some other driver we are talking about, I doubt both would have made up the hill at all.
Alonso backed out remember?

Webber is actually one of the toughest drivers out there so if anyone would take the corner it would be him.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Nando wrote:
Of course he did. If he didn't - neither would have survived. One might have flipped. We're talking of a steep inclined corner here. And not to mention Fernando was on cold tyres - Fernando had to back off.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Giblet
Giblet

Nando wrote:

Webber is actually one of the toughest drivers out there so if anyone would take the corner it would be him.
Alsonso did back out, but my point is that if a different Red Bull driver attempted that pass, the chance of both cars making it out would be smaller. Backing out doesn't stop a car from torpedoing into you.....

...I remember a different attempted pass at the same track on Button, that really should have been straight forward. Torpedo.

Giblet
Giblet

Nando wrote:
Giblet wrote:I truly think Vettel is one of the best if not the best at finding maximum grip in the most important places in the circuit over a single lap. He is also one of the fastest in clear air.
This is why Webber has out-qualified him twice this year?
Vettel is overrated. Don´t get me wrong, he´s a fantastic driver no doubt.
But on the same level as Alonso and Hamilton? No chance. In any department.

As far as Eau Rouge comment, would not matter as the first person entering Eau Rouge loses at Les Combes anyways due to DRS. Just ask Webbo.

Yes, twice. That is not a statistically significant number. Ask me again after 10 races.

Trust me, I would prefer to see Webber pull something amazing.