Vettel has a 10 kg weight advantage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sisso KavanhaK
Sisso KavanhaK

Re: Vettel has a 10 kg weight advantage

So, I think that the only thing we can discuss about is:

Vettel needs a 10kg heavier car than Webber. How can this become a advantage?

Stronger/bigger Kers equipment?

Heavier front wing?

Mr Alcatraz

Giblet can you stop the hemorrhaging, and just close this thread! ](*,)
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Richard
Richard

To be pragmatic, Vettel and Webber will have the same design car with the same components that weigh the same. OK, the may have preferences over minor things (steering wheel design, brake pad manufacturer) that have negligible difference.

Yes a lighter driver has more flexibility for ballast location, and there will be pressure on big drivers to take on unhealthy weight loss. A better method would be:

Driver + ballast in seat = 90kg
Rest of car + ballast anywhere = 550kg

However, that's splitting hairs, if one is concerned about performance advantage. I'm just concerned about driver welfare.

ringo

Lighter drivers are always at an advantage.
Car has less moment of inertia.

Also he requires less water to drink and less cooling. His chassis can also be narrower and more aero shaped if it was allowed.

Newey said it himself, his ideal driver is one that weighs 50 kg. He doesn't care for top names like vettel, Alonso, or Hamilton.
Give him a little midget driver and he'll show us what having a small driver can do for the car's performance.
For Sure!!

Richard
Richard

I hadn't realised the divers were cooled.

ringo

slip of the wrist. Lol. :lol: my mind was on the car threads.

The ideal is to approach zero driver, and just have the machine itself.
A smaller driver is closer to the ideal.

here's an exercise. Post all the great drivers and all the top shotter drivers.
Then list their heights and weight.

Notice shumacher's height and weight, and all the other top guns like Hamilton Alonso.

Then list the other late bloomers like Webber and in a sense Button and their heights and weight.

Vettel is on the tall side for an F1 pilot though.
For Sure!!

Aced

Yes, this is the reason why Vettel is dominating but it won't be very soon. Webber has confirmed he will undergo surgery where they're going to remove some "unnecessary" body parts so he can be lighter. It's being called Operation: Lighter Mark Webber and the expectations are very high. If it's successful we're going to see an improvment in his lap times.

I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist. Anyways I've read of the weight thing being solved some time ago but I always wondered whether taller drivers could have an effect on airflow since the helmets seem to stick a little bit higher? Or is the difference just too little to be noticeable?

CHT
CHT

I actually think that the RB7 do have a relative weight advantage over their competitors due to the efficiency of Renault engine; hence allowing them to run a race with lesser fuel.

The main advantage of having lighter driver/less fuel and more ballast is that ballast can be mounted on the floor which help lower the center of gravity of the car.
Last edited by CHT on 13 Sep 2011, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

If fuel efficiency; yes. Maybe the Renault engine needs 160kg of fuel for a full distance and Mercedes/Ferrari needs more like 170kg; and that would mean the Renaults would be lighter at first
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:If fuel efficiency; yes. Maybe the Renault engine needs 160kg of fuel for a full distance and Mercedes/Ferrari needs more like 170kg; and that would mean the Renaults would be lighter at first

better engine efficiency = lower CG, smaller fuel tank, lighter car

This could be the reason why RBR will continue to be untouchable for Ferrari, Mclaren & Merc until 2014.

raymondu999

Ironically lighter fuel should be more felt in the race; whereas RBR's advantage is in qualifying
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:Ironically lighter fuel should be more felt in the race; whereas RBR's advantage is in qualifying

I would say RBR advantage is in both race and qualifying. It is of course more obvious to see that advantage in qualifying because RBR drivers are pushing their cars to the limits.

During the race, Vettel has constantly been able to pull away from the pack after the start. And if RB7 is not quick during the race, there is no chance Vettel could keep his position. Especially with the DRS.

raymondu999

I don't agree really. It's touch and go IMO. Sometimes McLaren has better race pace sometimes Red Bull. A lot of times Vettel has been lucky with a mobile chicane in 2nd or 3rd helping him slow down the pack while he pushes like hell to maximize the gap before DRS kicks in
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:I don't agree really. It's touch and go IMO. Sometimes McLaren has better race pace sometimes Red Bull. A lot of times Vettel has been lucky with a mobile chicane in 2nd or 3rd helping him slow down the pack while he pushes like hell to maximize the gap before DRS kicks in

With the help of DRS, it will extremely difficult for the quickest car on track to not win a normal race. Mclaren might sometime look quicker towards the end of the race, or setting fastest lap time etc, however that doesnt mean that they are quicker than RBR, I could be they are gambling with a more aggressive approach (nothing to lose attitute) while RBR are just taking it easy to bring the car to chequered flag.

HampusA

The RBR is plain and simple a better car. There´s no tricks or other stuff like how much water each driver have or cooling etc etc.

It´s just better in all departments.
The truth will come out...