Driver Lineups for 2012 and Beyond a.k.a. Silly Season 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Driver Lineups for 2012 and Beyond a.k.a. Silly Season 2

I don't know; possibly. But I'm just thinking Vettel's 2013 teammate will be an STR graduate.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Fil

I'll repost something that i wrote in the 2011 silly season thread, as it has more to do with the 2013 lineups.

What we are seeing the beginnings of, in the current silly season, is what will culminate in the decision for Ferrari's second seat in 2013.

Button is surely using that possibility as his bargaining chip for a significant pay-rise & long-term deal at McLaren.

Ferrari will use 2012 to keenly watch Kubica's recovery (with whom they apparently had an option on for 2012), with Button being a close second choice, and Massa/Perez being the backups failing the signing of one of other two.

In a sense, Button's negotiations with McLaren hinge somewhat on how Kubica recovers. His bargaining chip may evaporate should Kubica return strong & sign with Ferrari for 2013. At that point, his only option may be to take what McLaren give him.

Webber's 2013 Red Bull seat may give Button a second bargaining chip, but I think it's far more likely they'll stick with their Driver Academy star in Ricciardo. If he fails to impress sufficiently in 2012, they'll likely try to talk Mark into remaining for another year, rather than take Button on. Ricciardo & Vergne are far too enticing prospects for the team to look beyond their own backyard.

I think these two - Button & Kubica - are the key movers in the driver market over the next 12-18mths.
All other drivers & teams will wait on where they end up before being able to move on their own 2013 aspirations.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

dren

I hope Button's manager seals the deal for a long term Mclaren contract.
Honda!

Trailer23

What're the chances of Christian Klien making a comeback?

He is by far one of the most talented & under-rated drivers out there.

Don't get me started on some of the current drivers lineup.

wesley123
wesley123

He is? I never knew that. He had his chances and did not impress at all. His teammates constantly outpaced him, Webber did so in 2004, and Coulthard in 2005 and 2006. It wasnt for nothing that he was replaced by an unimpressive youngster named Doornbos(although I still rate him one of Hollands best)
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Trailer23 wrote:What're the chances of Christian Klien making a comeback?

He is by far one of the most talented & under-rated drivers out there.

Don't get me started on some of the current drivers lineup.

Signed to Aston in LMS now, and looks to stay there. Had his chance in a Red Bull and failed, also did well as a TD with BMW and Honda, but wasnt faster than the race drivers. Flattered at Hispania last year as he overdrive the car to what he was doing to his team mate and equiptment was. Now looks outdated as his Hispania team mate is making Petrov look stupid.

Chances of a F1 return are non existant unless he brings €20m to a team.

Trailer23

First of, Webber wasn't all that faster than him. They were just about the same.

As for Coulthard, well he was far more skilled & experienced for the (then) youngster.

As a Test Driver, one really can't tell how fast one is unless you give the guy a seat in a race or two.

As for last year, Senna had an entire season & CK put him to shame on the first outting (twice) after 3 years away from F1 racing.

Finally, coming to the sponsor bit, he did manage to bring one sponsor (upsynth) last year to Hispania, but I don't think that they are willing to cough up 20 Million.

wesley123
wesley123

Doesnt matter, I dont understand why any of the teams would take Klien as a racing driver? There are quicker, younger and more well financed drivers available, I dont understand why a team should even consider Klien.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

scuderiafan

A bit of Stars and Stripes bias, but I do think that if Alexander Rossi (Fortec FR3.5 driver, ART GP3 driver, member of AirAsia Team Lotus Driver Development Program, yada yada yada) continues the way he is driving, he will be a good candidate for a race seat at Team Lotus.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

raymondu999

Don't Lotus already have Valsechi in the wings though? Team Air Asia is kind of Fernandes' "B Team" is it not? The junior team like STR is to RBR?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Thunder2
Thunder2

Yes, and Rossi will be driving for Team Air Asia in GP2 next year (unless big surprise). They are preparing him.

Trailer23

I think Jarno Trulli (Lotus Racing) & Felipe Massa (Scuderia Ferrari) are both a waste of space in F1 at the moment.

Both drivers have had a seat in F1 for a long time & have yet to impress :evil: .

Though Trulli is cursed by driving a back-marker car like Lotus Racing, one can't help to wonder why Massa can't get on the podium with a Ferrari.

I sincerely hope that we'll see the last of Narain Karthikeyan - "The Fastest Indian in the World" after the Indian GP. Karun Chandhok just might be a bit more refined, but not F1 material in the long run.

Vitantonio Liuzzi is another geezer that needs to be added to the ranks of Trulli & Massa. Hispania need to replace him a.s.a.p. with younger driver.

Finally, Vitaly Petrov... Everyone knows why he has a seat with Lotus Renault GP. I assume that once he gets kicked off by the end of the season, Russia's own Marussia Virgin Racing might give him a drive. For that very reason, Jérôme d'Ambrosio might of caught himself in the revolving door - joining the ranks of Lucas di Grassi. Time will tell.

scuderiafan

Slightly off-topic, but if Ricciardo is racing in Japan this weekend, Alexander Rossi just needs 7 points to clinch the third spot in the Formula Renault 3.5 championship. It looks like he'll move to the Team AirAsia GP2 team, but a third place in FR3.5 will look good on his resume.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

jdlive
jdlive

I'm hoping Valtteri Bottas is picked up by one of the top teams to be the number 2 driver (at least in the beginning). He seems to be the new Vettel as far as raw talent is concerned, even shares Vettel's lack of clothing taste :lol:
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

raymondu999

Bottas is a Williams driver I believe
失败者找理由,成功者找方法