I like tyres that drop off....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
red748
red748

I like tyres that drop off....

Tyres that have a nominal track life is
a really competative idea and it works in todays F1.

I like the idea that a 'nursed' set of tyres
will go only a half dozen laps longer than a
charging driver.

Charging drivers therefore need to know their limits.

There is nothing more valuable to a driver
than a car than turns with optimum speed.
Tyre degredation has come of age!

Shrieker

Re: I like tyres that drop off....

And I hate the marbles. And degredation is too much imho. Some degredation is ok though. Pirelli had too much of a variance with degredation of tyres this year from track to track. On some, they held up really well, on some others the drop off was real quick.

But the biggest problem (again, imho) the marbles are too excessive ! The ammount of marbles outside the racing line shouldn't even be %5 of what we see in some(fast?) corners. That just hampers racing. Make the tyre degrade, but with no marbles (or with very small ammount). Isn't that possible ? Or is it a direct function of 'cost' ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

beelsebob
beelsebob

I'll take the marbles over indistructable tyres any day... We've seen a net positive in the ability to overtake this season, despite the marbles.

Shrieker

Well you see dear bob, with excessive marbling, the drivable zone becomes a 4 metre wide line at most, especially in fast corners. You might as well go scrape the rest of the asphalt, cause it becomes completely useless. I want to see a driver try go round the outside every once in a while you know.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

beelsebob
beelsebob

Shrieker wrote:Well you see dear bob, with excessive marbling, the drivable zone becomes a 4 metre wide line at most, especially in fast corners. You might as well go scrape the rest of the asphalt, cause it becomes completely useless. I want to see a driver try go round the outside every once in a while you know.
I'd like to cite webber round the outside of alonso in eau rouge, hamilton round the outside of alonso in nurburgring T1, and probably a few others... I wouldn't be surprised if someone stuck one round the outside of 130r on sunday.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If we had a tire wthat was as good durability wise as the Bridgestones but with the lifespan of the Pirellis we would have a winner.

Pirelli are working on their constructions, and next year they will reduce their marbels and their rear tire construction to give it more grip and more durability, they are alos wanting the spare set of new primes that get destroyed after a race to go to friday running to give the teams more time on track in FP1 with 2 sets of primes avalable. Pirelli are also looking at going ultra aggressive as well by id recon giving each compound a 8 lap effective durability so that there will be as much as 4 pit stops per race per average driver. With that id also like to see the cars that get taken out in Q1 get a single set of the Hard tires for the race.

But id like to go to 3 compounds per race weekend, to theese rules:

Red: Hard - 12 laps effective life = 4 sets
Yellow: Medium - 20 laps effective distance = 3 sets
Green: Soft - 28 laps effective distance = 2 sets

That gives the teams about 164 laps and 840km to play with for each car in the dry going on a 5km lap.

As for wets; id have 4 sets of wets (Blue) and 5 sets of inters (white) for each car as well.

If the teams run a FP1 driver they can claim an extra set of mediums for him as well.

Lets have tire strategy accross the weekend and not accross 2 days.

Id change the quali rules as well to make it that Q1 and Q2 you have to run 6 laps in each session minimum (each session running for 25 mins each) and Q3 is a single 3 lap run over a 5 miniute period. Whilst im at it, have to go to lap 10 before they can pit in for their first stop.

However id like Quali to be this:

Q1: 25 Mins = 6 fall out (6 laps for time to be activated)
Q2: 20 Mins = 6 fall out (5 Laps for time to be activated)
Q3: 15 Mins = 6 fall out (4 Laps for time to be activated)
Q4: 5 mins = Top 6 decider (3 laps for time to be activated and only one chance for driver as well)

Laps to be activated include in/out laps as well. Meaning the guys at the top end of the grid are very tire limited with 18 laps gone on 4 sets of tires presumably.

red748
red748

beelsebob wrote:
Shrieker wrote:Well you see dear bob, with excessive marbling, the drivable zone becomes a 4 metre wide line at most, especially in fast corners. You might as well go scrape the rest of the asphalt, cause it becomes completely useless. I want to see a driver try go round the outside every once in a while you know.
I'd like to cite webber round the outside of alonso in eau rouge, hamilton round the outside of alonso in nurburgring T1, and probably a few others... I wouldn't be surprised if someone stuck one round the outside of 130r on sunday.
I think you got it half-right....
There was overtaking on 130R by a Force India,
but on the inside. Good prediction though.

In creating this thread I didn't think of the marbles,
but as so many of you have intimated....the marbles make
a lot of the racetrack out of bounds.