Is Mclaren putting their bet of Button now?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Is Mclaren putting their bet of Button now?

Driving skills aside. As a company do you think that Button will be a better ambassador for the Mclaren brand and image?

munudeges
munudeges

Re: Is Mclaren putting their bet of Button now?

Outside of the car as well as in, yes.

donskar
donskar

CHT wrote:Driving skills aside. As a company do you think that Button will be a better ambassador for the Mclaren brand and image?
Yes. (NOTE: I am answering your question above, NOT replying to the title of this thread. The title and the question have different meanings.)

This is not an attack on Hamilton. Button has demonstrated a greater degree of maturity. He is steadier and more reliable. He is less likely to mis-speak or say something controversial to the media. Finally, he has proven he can be competitive with far fewer controversial driving incidents. I thought from the very beginning that Hamilton could learn from Button and become a much better driver as a result. I was wrong.

Fan boys please note: I did not say Hamilton is immature; I said Button was more mature. I did not say Button is faster, just that he seems to be compettiive with fewer incidents. I did not say that Hamilton is a poor PR rep; only that Button is a better one. Let's see if we can actually discuss drivers in a mature way.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ringo

CHT wrote:Driving skills aside. As a company do you think that Button will be a better ambassador for the Mclaren brand and image?
Nope.

He's too old and mundane. Doesn't have the edge.

Also for the fact that the US has a GP and Mclaren has the Mp4-12c They're best sticking to Hamilton for promoting the team and it's cars in the west.

He can probably do the more off air stuff for the team.
For Sure!!

CHT
CHT

what mclaren have achieved in the past is definitely much bigger than what LH can offer as a driver. they had already won WDC with Senna (the undisputed greatest driver of all time), so it is unlikely that Mclaren will bent over to let LH make a mockery out of the team's brand and image.
Last edited by CHT on 05 Oct 2011, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

Why does it have to be polarised? They both have roles in a balanced team.

CHT - Your post above shows your true intent. Even though the title and OP refer to Button's role at McLaren, you really want this to be a Hamilton bashing thread don't you? Time for locking.

CHT
CHT

richard_leeds wrote:Why does it have to be polarised? They both have roles in a balanced team.

CHT - Your post above shows your true intent. Even though the title and OP refer to Button's role at McLaren, you really want this to be a Hamilton bashing thread don't you? Time for locking.
after reading what button said about having no.1 and 2, and the extension of his multi year contract with mclaren (when most of us are speculating that Paul Di Resta will be replace button at Mclaren) I just cant help but think there is some sort of shift within at mclaren.

From a company point of view, there is only that much you can give because you say enough is enough. In 10 years time, LH will just become another MS at best, but mclaren will still remain as one of the most successful team in F1.

beelsebob
beelsebob

CHT wrote:what mclaren have achieved in the past is definitely much bigger than what LH can offer as a driver. they had already won WDC with Senna (the undisputed greatest driver of all time), so it is unlikely that Mclaren will bent over to let LH make a mockery out of the team's brand and image.
I dunno – Kobayashi disputed it – he said he would take Hamilton as a lead driver, and A Senna as second driver when formula1.com asked who he'd have in a team if he managed one.

CHT
CHT

beelsebob wrote:
CHT wrote:what mclaren have achieved in the past is definitely much bigger than what LH can offer as a driver. they had already won WDC with Senna (the undisputed greatest driver of all time), so it is unlikely that Mclaren will bent over to let LH make a mockery out of the team's brand and image.
I dunno – Kobayashi disputed it – he said he would take Hamilton as a lead driver, and A Senna as second driver when formula1.com asked who he'd have in a team if he managed one.
Talk is always easy until you put your money in

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

richard_leeds wrote:Why does it have to be polarised? They both have roles in a balanced team.

Agreed.

If it's not locked then it should be dumped to "off topic" as it's just fanboy/hater bait. :(
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob
beelsebob

CHT wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Talk is always easy until you put your money in
And? You claimed it was undisputed – clearly it's disputed.

raymondu999

Personally I think Button comes across as friendlier and personable than Hamilton. Having said that, as brand ambassador, he won his title with Brawn. There is more McLaren "DNA" in Hamilton
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Personally I think Button comes across as friendlier and personable than Hamilton. Having said that, as brand ambassador, he won his title with Brawn. There is more McLaren "DNA" in Hamilton
There's also that McLaren's general persona is one of the serious, hard working team that does everything by the book (mostly). Button fits that persona rather better.

raymondu999

Persona, my money is on Button any day. But as of this moment, Hamilton is a bigger part of McLaren history (by virtue of him winning a McLaren-powered WDC)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:Personally I think Button comes across as friendlier and personable than Hamilton. Having said that, as brand ambassador, he won his title with Brawn. There is more McLaren "DNA" in Hamilton

Alonso won both his WDC with Renault, I dont see him a lesser WDC for Ferrari than say Kimi.

Drivers are just an employee, a team can make or break them easily