Congratulation Sebastian Vettel - 2011 FIA F1 Champion

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Congratulation Sebastian Vettel - 2011 FIA F1 Champion

why get worked up? He's just lookng for attention.

wesley123
wesley123

funny how you guys think everyone is english and can understand it correctly. Guess I just understood it wrong, of course I am looking for attention -.-'

'And as has been said before, Vettel has been neigh-flawless this year. Button, even in Brawn's superior races, was far from' from that i understood it wrong.

Very childish...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Wes - I think what mnm means is; Brawn in 2009 was a clear first with no challenger (in terms of pace) in that 1st half of the year. Even the RB5 wasn't a clear 2nd fastest in that 1st half of the year; while this year the MP4-26 has clearly been the secondary pacesetter; and in fact visibly faster at some races; while this wasn't the case with Brawn.

Mnm; I do apologise if I understood you wrong
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

LionKing
LionKing

MnMRacer has a point when comparing Button's 2009 performance with Vettel this year. Barrichello seemed better than Button in the second half of that year, winning two races during that period.

Although there are yet four races to go, Vettel did not experience dropped form period so far and is still dominating his teammmate.

axle
axle

Tyler: Agree with a lot you've said there :)
I think Vettel's been excellent I only wish Webber had taken the fight to him more, as I think he's capable.
I was curious to see if his domination of the championship was in people's opinion's similar/better/worse than in 2009 where at the time people gave JB a lot of stick.
Seems like most people have largely revised their opinion's of JB upwards and SV's too.
I can dig that. I wasn't having a go at SV, he's been ruthlessly efficient in Quali and I feel sure that if anyone could have matched that then we'd have had a better championship however that's not SV's fault the others didn't.
- Axle

axle
axle

LionKing wrote:MnMRacer has a point when comparing Button's 2009 performance with Vettel this year. Barrichello seemed better than Button in the second half of that year, winning two races during that period.

Although there are yet four races to go, Vettel did not experience dropped form period so far and is still dominating his teammmate.
I don't think form dropped. The updates to the Brawn were clearly changed the car in ways that JB didn't like and RB did.

The Brawn advantage was IMO fairly quickly eroded due to poor development choices that hindered more than helped (as proven with the Merc situation). The RB5 was a better car by the end of the season. If Brawn had continued to develop effectively then I think JB would have closed out the season much faster than he did.
- Axle

raymondu999

axle wrote:
LionKing wrote:MnMRacer has a point when comparing Button's 2009 performance with Vettel this year. Barrichello seemed better than Button in the second half of that year, winning two races during that period.

I don't think form dropped. The updates to the Brawn were clearly changed the car in ways that JB didn't like and RB did.

The Brawn advantage was IMO fairly quickly eroded due to poor development choices that hindered more than helped (as proven with the Merc situation). The RB5 was a better car by the end of the season. If Brawn had continued to develop effectively then I think JB would have closed out the season much faster than he did.
What development? There were minute developments; nothing noteworthy IIRC.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

archie - the car; relative to the opposition; has less of a time delta than it has ever had last year. Last year's car was a lot more dominant in terms of out and out pace. In a lot of the races the McLaren was even faster; Spain, Hungary, even Suzuka. These were, to add salt to the wound, circuits where RBR were at their best last year - with qualifying deltas of anywhere from 4 tenths clear to 1.2 seconds clear.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Huh? Race pace has been probably their weak point at most races. Barcelona; Lewis was chewing up the gap to Sebastian at 1.5s a lap until he was right up Seb's gearbox. he stayed within 0.5-0.7 of Seb during the last 15 laps despite being in dirty air. Same thing with Hungary where dirty air is absolutely king.

Alonso in clean air in Silverstone 2011 was consistently 1 second faster in Sector 2 alone than Vettel in clean air. Jenson on last Sunday was consistently 5-7 tenths faster than Seb when both were in clear air.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 10 Oct 2011, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

archiebald wrote:We could see in Canada that once the playing field was largely equalized by the weather, then the driver himself was not so dominant.
When said playing field was "equalized" (I'll use your word here) by the weather (i.e. wet circuit); Vettel was pulling away at 1s/lap from anyone and everyone. It was only when the racing line was bone dry when Jenson began canning him at 2s/lap.

Even when the field was again "equalized" (your word) in a wet Silverstone; he built an 8 second lead by lap 4.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 10 Oct 2011, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Hmmm wonder what a car with more downforce would be like in the wet, compared to one with less downforce....

Anyhow thats O/T, Congratulations to Vettel on become our sports youngest double WDC.
Near flawless driving, almost machine like in precision. You could ask no more of him, and hes doing it all with a smile.

Lets all hope he has to work harder next year!
More could have been done.
David Purley

LionKing
LionKing

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Hmmm wonder what a car with more downforce would be like in the wet, compared to one with less downforce....

Anyhow thats O/T, Congratulations to Vettel on become our sports youngest double WDC.
Near flawless driving, almost machine like in precision. You could ask no more of him, and hes doing it all with a smile.

Lets all hope he has to work harder next year!
Actually McLaren did look like to be the faster car in high downforce circuits this year Monaco, Hungaroring, Spain, etc... (and ferrari best on Silverstone)

Vettel pulled away from Webber at 1s a lap during Silverstone this year and built up 9.5 second lead in 10 laps. I think it is Vettel's talent making the difference. When it is fully wet, Vettel has been easily the fastest guy on track, Korea last year, Silverstone, Canada this year...

raymondu999

Don't forget Suzuka. McLaren were consistently the fastest car in the Esses through the whole weekend.

Also JET - how do we know that the Red Bull has the most downforce? Sure it's "conventional wisdom," but what goes to show for it? It was also "conventional wisdom" that they were slow in the speed traps; and they weren't that either in Suzuka
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ raymond

130R, Turn 8 in Turkey, Pouhon in Spa(Brundle was fairly certain he hadn't seen a car flat through there until the RB7 came along....) and probably every single track this year where the RB7 has managed to remain either flat on the throttle or feathering it while others are off it totally.

Indicators as to a car having better aero than others.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

130R - let's not push it now. The HRT was able to take that with DRS open. Turn 8 they weren't flat. Pouhon they weren't even flat last year; let alone this year.

Also archie said rain equalized the race paces of the cars; and you say it doesn't; so which are we using for this discussion?

JET - I'd rather we continue this in PM form. Let's not soil this thread too much with bickering. It's happened enough to the race threads; or your "home" thread the MGP 2011 thread :wink: ( no offense intended)
Last edited by raymondu999 on 10 Oct 2011, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法