Congratulation Sebastian Vettel - 2011 FIA F1 Champion

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Congratulation Sebastian Vettel - 2011 FIA F1 Champion

With Fuel?

I must have been watching a different practice on friday morning then! :lol:

granted the fuel levels were unkown, but you can tell when they are laden with fuel when the times drop around 4.5 to 5.5 seconds a lap...and the Bulls where still rampaging down 130 flat.

You get the gist though Raymond, I dont think many can dispute that the RB7 has the most usable downforce of the field...and this does help in the wet.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet
Giblet

LionKing wrote:MnMRacer has a point when comparing Button's 2009 performance with Vettel this year. Barrichello seemed better than Button in the second half of that year, winning two races during that period.
I think Vettel's 2010 season was a little more on par with Jenson's 2009. The difference is that Button did everything he needed to in the beginning, while Vettel did everything he needed to in the last half of the season to win.

The key similarity to me is that both drivers ended up in a position where they _had_ to produce to win the title. Seb did it in the last race, Jenson did it the race before.

What makes a champion comes down to a moment of make or break, and both drivers did this.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

LionKing
LionKing

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:With Fuel?

I must have been watching a different practice on friday morning then! :lol:

granted the fuel levels were unkown, but you can tell when they are laden with fuel when the times drop around 4.5 to 5.5 seconds a lap...and the Bulls where still rampaging down 130 flat.

You get the gist though Raymond, I dont think many can dispute that the RB7 has the most usable downforce of the field...and this does help in the wet.
Downforce helps in dry track too :)

Mercedes is ~1.3sec to 1.8 sec off leaders depending on the race. I am sure compared to alleged difference between Red Bull and McLaren, Mercedes is way off from them in downforce department. Yet Schumacher was second fastest guy after Vettel at Canada when it was wet. When it dried he was no longer able to compete.

The point is in wet track the driver skill is much more essential (steering wheel input, throttle handling, car control, feeling the limit, choosing lines, whatever you call it). The performance gap between cars when wet is usually less not more. That is why they say equalizer not differentiator.

Based on McLaren performance at high downforce tracks, I am not sure they lack much vs Red Bull, if any at all.
Last edited by LionKing on 10 Oct 2011, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

The Box
The Box

Congrats to Sebastian

Here's hoping he can get a youngest Grand Chelem next year to break Senna's record.

raymondu999

I was so so hoping that he would Grand Chelem the Suzuka Grand Prix. That would have been such a fitting finale to his title hunt; at such a historic circuit.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SP_F1
SP_F1

Yeah,he had a perfect season getting d best out of the RB7.
I must admit that i'm one of those who criticise him but he has just won my heart
I had to download his wallpapers immediately and made them my desktop wallpaper.
I must say he'll go ahead to break records.

Giblet
Giblet

This thread is here for anyone to congratulate Seb on the season. If you don't want to, don't post.

Fastest car, luck, whatever, he beat his teammate and that is the only measure that any other driver has.

He could have just as easily got the best car and lost himself the championship.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Giblet wrote:This thread was created to celebrate the champions season and championship. If you want to debate the merit of his championship, there are lots of other threads to do so.

Yes he had the best car, but he was also the best driver all season. When the car was not the best, he still got it on pole or won the race for the most part.
Even though you are a moderator I have to disagree with you here. In all fairness, people who have opposing views should have a right to oppose as long as they do so reasonably, otherwise the thread would just turn into a driver worshiping thread. OR, if you mods want to keep the driver worshiping alone in this thread, the jealous posters should have a legitimate reason to make a Vettel 2xWDC violation thread.

Anyway, Congratulations to Vettel for a Flawless season. He got a dominant car and got the maximum out of it. He is definitely a top driver. I hope he does not have a car like this next year, I want a championship to watch.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

SP_F1 wrote:Yeah,he had a perfect season getting d best out of the RB7.
I must admit that i'm one of those who criticise him but he has just won my heart
I had to download his wallpapers immediately and made them my desktop wallpaper.
I must say he'll go ahead to break records.
I had him as my desktop wallpaper at work since like April. It was mostly the car why I had it though, and there was no way I am putting Webber on my desktop for all to see.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

CHT
CHT

Giblet wrote:This thread is here for anyone to congratulate Seb on the season. If you don't want to, don't post.

Fastest car, luck, whatever, he beat his teammate and that is the only measure that any other driver has.

He could have just as easily got the best car and lost himself the championship.

Thanks for putting this thread back to its original intend.

Yes, Congratulation to Vettel for winning 2xWDC, you are truly a deserving champion and a good role model for many future generation of drivers.

CHT
CHT

Nice RB interview. those guys really know how to celebrate their victory isnt it?

http://youtu.be/IeRMnEiu3T4

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

“Fantastic performance by him and his entire [Red Bull] team,”

“One of the great things about him, and the most impressive thing for me, is at 24 years of age to have the maturity he has, not to be carried away by the money, and the jet-set and the glamour, colour and excitement that Formula 1 can provide.

“Coming as a 24-year-old in relatively modest financial beginnings to now be one of the biggest sports money earners in the world probably coming up, he hasn’t been spoilt by it.

“He’s kept his head down, he behaves himself, he’s a great family man… he’s just dealt with it more completely than any other driver around at the moment.”

- Jack Stewart

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Giblet wrote:
LionKing wrote:MnMRacer has a point when comparing Button's 2009 performance with Vettel this year. Barrichello seemed better than Button in the second half of that year, winning two races during that period.
I think Vettel's 2010 season was a little more on par with Jenson's 2009. The difference is that Button did everything he needed to in the beginning, while Vettel did everything he needed to in the last half of the season to win.

The key similarity to me is that both drivers ended up in a position where they _had_ to produce to win the title. Seb did it in the last race, Jenson did it the race before.

What makes a champion comes down to a moment of make or break, and both drivers did this.
Red Bull was the fastest car throughout the season in 2010. Brawn was the fastest car for the first half of the season in 2009. I don't think the seasons are comparable. Jenson's win was more impressive.

If you want to compare Vettel's 2010 title win to any season, i would say it would have to be 1997. He won the title with the fastest car, but he made very hard work of it.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:archie - the car; relative to the opposition; has less of a time delta than it has ever had last year. Last year's car was a lot more dominant in terms of out and out pace. In a lot of the races the McLaren was even faster; Spain, Hungary, even Suzuka. These were, to add salt to the wound, circuits where RBR were at their best last year - with qualifying deltas of anywhere from 4 tenths clear to 1.2 seconds clear.
Red Bull still had the same dominance at Barcelona - one of the ultimate aero tracks. However, the relative strengths of the car has changed since mid season. Mclaren and Ferrari seem closer on the aero tracks, but Red Bull seems stronger mechanically, and they've finally cracked low downforce circuits too.