Why Monaco and not Nordschleife?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Why Monaco and not Nordschleife?

In 1970's nordschleife was boycotted by racers for the lack of safety at the circuit which is understandable considering the scale of nordschleife. The run-offs were as limited as Monaco, however drivers had no problems with one while had a huge issue with the other. 1970's F1 circuit management was not in the same level seen today with a medical crew and track crew getting to a crash within seconds to assist the driver. Cars have come leaps and bounds since the plywood days.

With cars and circuit management at a level as it is now where track run-offs need not be prioritized, can f1 cars return to racing at circuits once abandoned for safety reasons?

When street circuits such as Singapore are being sanctioned why cannot Nordschleife, Mount Panorama, Imola etc. ?

Pandamasque

Re: Why Monaco and not Nordschleife?

Money.

raymondu999

Is it really? As far as I understand it the Monegasque Grand Prix doesn't pay FOM any of the usual fees; no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

Monaco does not have problems because the track is small. IIRC there are 5 times more marshals per km than in Spa.
Now, imagine how many people you need in Nordschleife.
Also, don't underestimate the money needed to upgrade barriers, pit-complex, grandstands etc.
It is simply not feasible.

FW17

^
Just move some money from the Greek fund, looks like they don't want it.

timbo
timbo

WilliamsF1 wrote:Just move some money from the Greek fund
Really? And where to get people on the grandstands?
Nordshleife WILL cost more than average GP. It is simply proportional to the track length. Do you think it is possible to get proportiobally more people to the weekend there?

Mandrake
Mandrake

timbo wrote:Monaco does not have problems because the track is small. IIRC there are 5 times more marshals per km than in Spa.
Now, imagine how many people you need in Nordschleife.
Also, don't underestimate the money needed to upgrade barriers, pit-complex, grandstands etc.
It is simply not feasible.
Actually if they used the 24h Layout there'd be no need for a Pit / Grandstand upgrade as they'd use the Grand Prix track facilities.

They have also only recently upgraded all the fencing around the track. Nevertheless I think the track is still too dangerous for an F1 car. I've driven there in a small racing series with road legal cars and I wouldn't want to spin out at certain parts of the track.....

What's very problematic is the control of entries to the spectator's places around the ring. It's such a large area that you cannot control. So Bernie might feel he's losing money on it. Secondly, Cameras, trackside marshalls and rescue vehicles have to be placed all over the track which is quite costly.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Its 99% certain the noordschleife isnt raced because of safety.

The flugplatz section alone would see drivers have nightmares. Kesslechen and Pflanzgarten complex(1 and 2) would be more than a little scary too.
then you have the world famous Carousel, how on earth does an F1 car manage that for a few laps?? :?
Even taking out driver error, if there is a mechanical failure the driver would be in serious trouble.

On a different note, I wonder if DTM will ever go back to the 'ring?
More could have been done.
David Purley

timbo
timbo

Mandrake wrote:Actually if they used the 24h Layout there'd be no need for a Pit / Grandstand upgrade as they'd use the Grand Prix track facilities.
Yeah, but wouldn't it be strange to have 24km track with grandstands on only sma;; part of it?
They have also only recently upgraded all the fencing around the track. Nevertheless I think the track is still too dangerous for an F1 car. I've driven there in a small racing series with road legal cars and I wouldn't want to spin out at certain parts of the track.....
Yeah, there are soe places with very little runnoffs, and that run above the cliff — I would think that Tecpro barriers would be required.
Also, doesn't the run to the finish line exceed maximum straight length FIA permits? I would think the track would have to be altered at some places to meet the current track specs (undulations etc)

CHT
CHT

timbo wrote:
Nordshleife WILL cost more than average GP. It is simply proportional to the track length. Do you think it is possible to get proportiobally more people to the weekend there?
exactly.

imagine the number of marshals, rescue vehicles, cameras, crews, ambulance, electric cables, security crews they need for a circuit this size.

FW17

CHT wrote:
timbo wrote:
exactly.

imagine the number of marshals, rescue vehicles, cameras, crews, ambulance, electric cables, security crews they need for a circuit this size.
BS

Circuit de la Sarthe is 13.5 km, and they have a 24 hour race every year and they have an attendance of over 250,000

timbo
timbo

WilliamsF1 wrote:BS

Circuit de la Sarthe is 13.5 km, and they have a 24 hour race every year and they have an attendance of over 250,000
The safety operations are way below F1 standards. On some areas of the track it takes several minutes for marshals to get to the scene.
Besides, it is apples to oranges commercially. LeMans is completely different event and is run differently, it is unique event and there's little competition for audience.

Sebp

Wouldn't a GP at the Nordschleife bring in the biggest TV audience of all races? As I understand it that's where the money is coming from anyway. Bernie doesn't care for empty grandstands. All he cares for is the GP organisers paying him his fee. I can't picture empty grandstands at a race like this. So the organisers should be able to pay the fee if they can build enough grandstands.

And about the marshalls, they're mostly volunteers. The track is very big, so every marshall individually wouldn't have that much to do. So he/she would essentially enjoy a free GP with hardly any work to do.

The real "issue" is safety. Of course, it would cost a sizeable sum to upgrade the track. Totally worth it imo!

But I think in the end it's down to the drivers probably still bitching around as they don't want to get humiliated by someone driving an HRT in their Red Bulls or Ferraris. They'll say this is not safe, blablabla... while the "lesser" drivers would scratch their heels.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

FW17

timbo wrote:it is unique event and there's little competition for audience.
It's F1 at Nordschleife! How much more unique do you want it?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

A potential 'ring GP would bring the biggest audience ever seen.

Just this morning I counted 4 cars with 'ring stickers on the boot. These guys dont watch F1, they go track racing. Im pretty sure they would watch a 'ring GP though.

But the cost of preparing the track to make it safe for F1 would be too high sadly.
More could have been done.
David Purley