Dust - Any influence?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
stevegek
stevegek

Dust - Any influence?

Hi guys,

Saw a picture of Renault and how much Dust was on the car after a couple of runs. Getting dust on places you don't want it could have huge conscequences. So I wonder, are F1 cars built for these kind of conditions?

Can we see an increased number of technical failures this weekend during the Indian GP?
Meep - Meep.

raymondu999

Re: Dust - Any influence?

I think the primary issue will be ducts - whether it will clog the meshes that are put on brake ducts that were put on to keep marbles out; or maybe into sidepods/airbox
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

N12ck

Dust = less adhesion with the road = less grip = slower laptime, so yes indeed it does have an affect, however mechanical failures due to dust I doubt, unless an air intake gets clogged - which is highly unlikely :D
Budding F1 Engineer

PlatinumZealot

The engine pays a slight price as well.

I reallly wonder if they have any of those water trucks to wash the dust off the track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Strictly speaking, if there is dust on track it is because they driver past some curbs and into the dirt, correct?

And I doubt they have any engine worries because they already have experience, seeing how special filters have always been developed for Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. This is nothing.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Steven
Owner

It looks pretty bad indeed around this circuit. This could be especially troublesome for overtaking moves, as going off-line will likely cost a lot of grip.
As such, I would expect only the DRS to provide any overtaking moves, which is a bit sad.

Giblet
Giblet

Bahrain sprays a gel down on the sandiest areas upwind to keep the dust and sand down for the weekend, maybe India should consider the same for next year.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mep

Dust and sand is probably not the same material.
I expect sand is much worse for the engine whereas it doesn't matter when there comes some dust into it.

strad

Well dust will screw with the cylinder walls...If fine it can pack into the radiator fins and hurt cooling..traction is obviously compromised.
I am amazed the couldn't be bothered washing the track off after the finished construction. Why doesn't Bernie and the FIA demand better?
One regular water truck..one with a sideways jet and a street sweeper that sweeps and vacuums..come on.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Richard
Richard

Strad - I think you'd find it a bit more extensive than the capability of a street sweeper and a hose.

This is a new track in a middle of a huge construction site. The dust will blow in as quick as the sweepers can remove it. What it needs is a monsoon season and a chance for the vegetation to grow to bind the soil.

I must admit that I'm surprised they haven't follow the modern convention of using astro turf or concrete in place of grass so close to the track.

manmeetvirdi
manmeetvirdi

I also think it’s cool that you throw up a bit of dust when you go off-line - that’s how racing should be: there should be grass and dirt when you go off the track

--Lewis Hamilton

Mr Alcatraz

richard_leeds wrote:
This is a new track in a middle of a huge construction site.
Perhaps the dust problem will decrease for the race being that it is on a Sunday. Or do these freakin' guys work 7/24 on their building projects? :?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Lycoming
Lycoming

I seem to recall valencia being similarly dusty during friday practice this year; though having support races helps clear the dust somewhat