Different racing lines after 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Different racing lines after 2009

After 2009 reduced downforce and increased mechanical grip; we've started seeing separate racing lines again; and it seems quite a bit more so this year.

Why is that actually? The only major thing I can think of is the change of balance between mechanical and aerodynamic grip; is that it? Could it be that mechanical grip would allow different lines given that it stays constant (relative to grip levels on surface) and maybe in days gone past they were taking corners in a way that sort of "maximized" the average downforce they got through the corner? I don't know.

An example of different lines was very visible in the last 15 laps of the Spanish GP; when Hamilton was chasing down Vettel. Vettel takes a very wide line through T2 to carry a lot of speed through and enter T3 with a lot of speed. Hamilton has a tight line through 2 for a smoother line through 3.

Another example was Monza. Hamilton's line through the Parabolica was a very conventional; circular one; he would apex, then run wide to the exit as he gradually came on power. Vettel would slow down more at the apex of Parabolica and rotate the car more; then go for a straighter exit from Parabolica.

Another example would be when Kubica was chasing down Vettel in Monaco 2010. Kubica would sort of hug the apex for the shortest distance; and Vettel would take a wider entry and exit to get the car straighter earlier.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ell66

Re: Different racing lines after 2009

No different to past years, in general the lines are the same but now and again at certain conrners drivers have different ways of taking them.

raymondu999

Yes but if you looked at 2007/2008, say, most would be pretty much on that same line. Now we see massively different lines.

Two good examples are the Abbey - Arena complex. Mark Webber takes a wide exit from Abbey to maximize his speed in Abbey; Vettel goes for a tighter exit for a better line into braking for the Loop.

Another one is China Turn 13 (the snail leading onto the straight). Vettel takes a line like Club corner where he just very gradually runs wide to the exit. Button kind of holds a constant radius through the corner; and Alonso goes very wide on the exit of 12 (slow left leading onto it) then goes very high in the start of 13; and has a late apex.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo

Well, the lines taken during the race don't tell much. Can you show some examples from qualifying?

strad

fastest way round is the same
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Strad; that would be true if everyone had identical cars and setups; but I don't think that would be the case. Timbo I'll see what I can find
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Strad; that would be true if everyone had identical cars and setups; but I don't think that would be the case. Timbo I'll see what I can find
More so, the fastest way round may not be the same as the most optimal for tyres, different drivers will choose a different balance between them.

raymondu999

Here's Vettel's pole lap from China
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVI4QAfzvTE[/youtube]

Compare with Button's onboard on F1.com. You can see that Button goes much tighter and touches the 2nd inside kerb; while Vettel's line is less tight, and gradually stays wide. The difference is subtle, but it's there.

Here's another. Here is Vettel's Silverstone Q3 lap:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmmkPH1WXg[/youtube]

Here's Mark's lap in Q3 (pole)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5r-N5UmYUY[/youtube]

Take a look at Mark's line through Abbey. He has a very wide exit and hits the exit kerb of the long left of Turn 2 (which I can't remember the name of right now). This means he has a wider exit off 2; and he has to move left further for the braking zone of 3 (called the Loop, I think?). Vettel's line is tighter on the exit of Abbey and doesn't hit the kerb. He has a wider entry into 2; and has a much better line for braking for 3.

Again it's a very subtle difference, but it's there.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

A subtle difference isn't what I would call ...A different line...I thought you meant an Entirely different line.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

timbo

raymondu999 wrote:Take a look at Mark's line through Abbey. He has a very wide exit and hits the exit kerb of the long left of Turn 2 (which I can't remember the name of right now). This means he has a wider exit off 2; and he has to move left further for the braking zone of 3 (called the Loop, I think?). Vettel's line is tighter on the exit of Abbey and doesn't hit the kerb. He has a wider entry into 2; and has a much better line for braking for 3.

Again it's a very subtle difference, but it's there.
I don't think this particular example is representative.
The track was dry/wet, and maybe Vettel was just cautious. I'd argue that where we'd really see the differences between drivers is on slow/mid stuff, and on ultra-fast corners as Abbey they would do mostly the same.
Actually, the entry to Abbey is a good way to notice how drivers commit to the corner, the line is the same in the dry, but how the driver throw the car in is different. Massa/Button and Hamilton take rather gradual entry. Schumacher is like a on/off switch — he drives straight then changes direction sorta "at once". And Also just throws the car, even moving a bit to the outside just befor turning in (akin to rally-style counter-movement).
But the actual "steady-state" line is the same.
Anyway, that were my impressions from last year.