Should the 3 new teams have entered in 2009 instead?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Should the 3 new teams have entered in 2009 instead?

Here's a thought that I've had since 2010. Shouldn't the 3 new boys have been put in the sport in 2009 instead? Reason for it being; for example. If Newey had been with Lotus or say Virgin; his creativity surely would have been a major boost, no?

Point being; 2009 was a year for creativity; rather than resources, budgets and iterative design. Not THAT clear cut; but still...
Last edited by raymondu999 on 05 Nov 2011, 16:26, edited 2 times in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

Re: Should the 3 new teams have entered in 2009 instead?

One more year would have been useful ... Time is good to repair deficits

But not much difference to enter in 2009 or in 2010 when you have no good structures ... In 2010 at least you have something to copy (BGP001 or RB5 for example :D)

ESPImperium

I am a firm beliver that a new team should have to follow a breif, the same breif that Toyota had in 2000 before they entered in 2001.

Any new entry shall be decided with 18 months before entry. Any new entry shall have to produce a chassis and run it for at least half a season of development before they can enter. Any new team shall be required to source an initial 12 months of support from at least one larger team in the sport, ideally two teams will support them. Each new team should have to compete with the Cosworth CA201x engine and either the X-Trac or a Hweland transmission for two years with embedded technicians from those companies for those 24 months before they can take a diffrent engine or transmission solution as well.

I also belive that each team should have to attend the last pre season test to be able to compete in that years season as well, and have 2 chassis shaken-down and ready to compete at the first event to avoid the Hispania debacle at Bahrain 2010 or Australia 2011 as well. With this id also make it that the team has to have had at least a race distance in one of the days testing on each chassis by one of its race drivers, who have also to complete 305km in a single day in testing on safety grounds.

However, id also like to see that each new entry has a firm financial footing for a period of 3 years as well, and each new entry has at least €200m funding for those 3 years from sponsors as well.

The new entries shopuld have been given at least 12 to 18 months to be able to prepair for entry in 2010. or at least enough time to be able to get a full design staff to put into place a decent R&D into their first entry and get it up to speed before it even hits the track. So instead of being 7 seconds off the pace in year 1 they are say 4.5 to 5.5 seconds off the pace, whitch means year 2 will see them in the mid pack given that they are still in the sport.

Trailer23

I wonder how good USF1 Team could/would of been had they of entered in 2010.

USF1: Ken Anderson, driver Jose Maria Lopez and Peter Windsor in Charlotte, NC (U.S.A)

Also if Scott Speed would've had a shot with them since he was the only American driver with F1 experience around that period.

I recall YouTube being one of the major sponsors at the time.

ESPImperium

The famous USF1/USGP team.

On paper their car was to be the strongest of the cars that would have entered.

In reality all that was produced was half a dozen front and rear crash structures and the lower half of a chassis as well as a halndful of other parts.

Lopez was coming with $20m behing him from the Argentine tourist board, YouTube were to be bringing $20m as well. James Rossiter was seemingly to be the second driver of this team as there were rumors that Honda were looking at a engine supply for their second year as they were looking at the US/Honda marketing aspect. However nothing came about, everthing is now liquidated.

Same could be said for Stefan GP, and we know what happened there, the FIA wernt wanting to let their boss in as he wasnt a "fit and propper person" for the sport.

Also, we are now seeing that one formar applicant for 2011 is now in the hands of Liquidators in Spain, Epsilon are now being sold off with their assets stripped. And Epic Racing the FR3.5 team had uncertanties with the Epsilon/Epic relationship and now have failed to get FR3.5 entry for 2012 to 2015 and are looked to be going the same way. Durango GP2 team have gone a simmilar way as well, however they still have their chassis and facilities, they just dont race as they dont have the funds for racing at present. The team that hasnt gone to the wall is ART as they have teamed up with Group Lotus for financial backing (2 year deal AFIK) and taken on a couple of well financed drivers this year.

Ive always said a promotion/relegation idea would be good for F1. Have two 1 car teams, and if they outscore a 2 car team, the next year they get to be a 2 car team. Also if they stay a two car team for a period of 2 years, then there is promotion/relegation to/from F1 and GP2.

At present under theese rules, if Virgin were a single car team they would be relegated to GP2 with ART GP and Barwa Addax being able to gain an entry to F1 as the criterion for a GP2 promotion would be for a team to finish in the top 3 of their teams championship for the past 3 years.

Id hold Promotion/Relegation years every odd year.

But the thing here is it would need a decent budget cap for the one car teams to compete, and get into a two car team and also for GP2 teams to come into F1.

wesley123

After reading that I can only say; Great job FIA! You made 400 people jobless by this team thingy, and more are to folow with the RRA, that is jsut exactly what we all need.

I am in the opinion the FIA shouldnt have done a lottery at all, just increase the field and let the teams do it themselves instead of shoving a cosworth in their throats, setting a costcap that wasnt going to happen etc. etc. Campos, Durango, Virgin, Epsilon, USF1 and lola all aimed for this cost cap.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Lurk

Is not RRA a FOTA thing?

ESPImperium

RRA is a FOTA sthing. The reason that teams denied entry is due to either financial concerns or technichal concerns for the proposed 13th team entry for 2011 that no one got. Epsilon couldnt stump up the minimum ammount that the FIA were looking for for 2011 (Rumored to be €70m and Epsilon had €60m ready and awaiting entry approval from sponsots), ART failed due to the contract they had with Toyota Motorsport GmBh as the FIA wernt wantint them to run a Ferrari engine in an updated for 2011 TF110 chassis. As for Durango, they had the Finance and a design on paper, but couldnt pass the test that the FIA devised for facilities as their facilities were just that half step below the FIAs test. The FIA could have passed the JV-Durango entry but decided that this could have had to let both ART and Epsilon in at the same time.

As for Stefan GP, it was all due to the fact he wasnt fit to have in a F1 paddock, basically the FIA defined him not to have passed any of the Honesty, integrity and reputation tests (FSA Guide: http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/hb-releases/ ... l27fit.pdf) its very simmilar to the Premier League test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fit_and_proper_person_test) that the FIA run.

Shrieker

raymondu999 wrote:Should the 3 new teams have entered in 2009 instead?
Given that HRT and Virgin are pretty much using the same cars from 2010, they could never have started the 2010 season since the(then) new fuel rules required a complete redesign/construction. They most probably didn't have the funds to do it, especially HRT.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ElleMarie

ESPImperium wrote: Lopez was coming with $20m behing him from the Argentine tourist board, YouTube were to be bringing $20m as well.
Let me add a little information:

JM Lopez was coming with $8m dollars. What few know is that Lopez had already paid $6m dollars because they had signed a contract to race in Bahrain.

The sponsors of JM Lopez are still in legal litigation for them to return the money invested. Obviously it was a scam, since Anderson and Windsor knew they would not get to race in Bahrain and signed the contract with the sponsors telling them that they were going to run in Bahrain without a doubt.
After everyone knew that USGP would not run in F1, Windsor said that when the FIA visited the USGP factory, him and Anderson already knew that at least they would not participate in the first 3 races....

The $8m dollars were provided as this: $2m dollars by the Argentine Government (to promote tourism), $2m dollars provided by Pauny (farm tractors company) and the rest provided by an entrepreneur who owns a local motorsport magazine: CORSA (it really sucks =P ) and a "DTM wannabe" series known as "TopRace v6" (Lopez was the reigning champion of that racing series that year).

This man rent a Formula3 for Lopez, the purpose of this was to adapt Lopez neck back to a formula car. (they ran 20 laps or so) In this pics you can see some of the brands that i mentioned before:
and a vid:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjX_ocwKuM[/youtube]

Pierce89

ElleMarie wrote:
ESPImperium wrote: Lopez was coming with $20m behing him from the Argentine tourist board, YouTube were to be bringing $20m as well.
Let me add a little information:

JM Lopez was coming with $8m dollars. What few know is that Lopez had already paid $6m dollars because they had signed a contract to race in Bahrain.

The sponsors of JM Lopez are still in legal litigation for them to return the money invested. Obviously it was a scam, since Anderson and Windsor knew they would not get to race in Bahrain and signed the contract with the sponsors telling them that they were going to run in Bahrain without a doubt.
After everyone knew that USGP would not run in F1, Windsor said that when the FIA visited the USGP factory, him and Anderson already knew that at least they would not participate in the first 3 races....

The $8m dollars were provided as this: $2m dollars by the Argentine Government (to promote tourism), $2m dollars provided by Pauny (farm tractors company) and the rest provided by an entrepreneur who owns a local motorsport magazine: CORSA (it really sucks =P ) and a "DTM wannabe" series known as "TopRace v6" (Lopez was the reigning champion of that racing series that year).

This man rent a Formula3 for Lopez, the purpose of this was to adapt Lopez neck back to a formula car. (they ran 20 laps or so) In this pics you can see some of the brands that i mentioned before:
and a vid:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjX_ocwKuM[/youtube]
you could be telling the truth 100%, but if you are the business people in Argentina obviously came nowhere close to performing the necessary due diligence before handing over $8M. They were closer to the USGP situation than any of us, yet we all knew that Anderson was full of s#$t and USGP wouldn't make Bahrain.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

ESPImperium wrote:On paper their car was to be the strongest of the cars that would have entered.
I don't remember anything special of their designs. What was special about their design?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:On paper their car was to be the strongest of the cars that would have entered.
I don't remember anything special of their designs. What was special about their design?
It was for more aggressive aerodynamically speaking than the other cars. They also planned to use a lonitudinal gearbox instead of the universally used transverse style or vice versa. In the rendering USF1 released the car really did look much better than the other new teams.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher