What will happen to Petrov now?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
yace

Re: What will happens to Petrov now?

i'm not a fan of petrov, but i can't deny he's one of the best starters!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAsY93pN0kI[/youtube]
ImageImageImage

wesley123
wesley123

Trailer23 wrote:Seriously..., Petrov (to me) is about as useful as an ashtray on an F1 car.
Indeed we need more Kartikeyans, Liuzzis and such in the F1...
Rarely does he have a good start.
BS
He lacks pace.
That explains why he always gains places over qualifying position.
he can't even overtake Saubers.
Well that is quite weird since the Renault is painfully slower than the Sauber in these last races.

Excuse me I cannot even seem to understand why you say that. You have already been proven wrong, and Petrov scoring points in the last race proves that. That Renault was simply in the back of the midfield since the second half of the season and the car itself has no chance in scoring points, yet Petrov does score points.

He might bring in 15 million a year but that doenst make him a bad driver, he certainly is a keeper. He might not be championship material but I am certain he would beat Massa in the Ferrari for example
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giblet
Giblet

When I was at Montreal, I picked one spot to watch in practice to see how everyone drove at a slow left right. The amount of playing with the throttle in the corner was very impressive and nobody else seemed to use the rear tires to turn the car in that corner to full effect like he did.

What I noticed negative about him though was the line was never the same. It was like he was driving by the seat of his pants and not being precise. I think he has a lot of raw talent and he expected maybe some nurturing with Kubica, but Kubica was not exactly friendly or open about things there and he publicly complained.

As many say F1 is not a finishing school, but at the same time you have to jump in with both feet.

I feel he has the speed, but not the 'it'.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

lebesset
lebesset

the team made a statement that petrov had 10 days to decide on whether he wanted to stay ; if you think that is about anything except money you will believe bernie is father christmas

Total clearly were not going to put up the sponsorship money without a french[ish] driver ; in the end , petrov couldn't match them , so au revoir

follow the money
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

timbo
timbo

Giblet wrote:The amount of playing with the throttle in the corner was very impressive and nobody else seemed to use the rear tires to turn the car in that corner to full effect like he did.

What I noticed negative about him though was the line was never the same. It was like he was driving by the seat of his pants and not being precise. I think he has a lot of raw talent and he expected maybe some nurturing with Kubica, but Kubica was not exactly friendly or open about things there and he publicly complained.
That's actually the impression I have watching onboards. It seems he has the tendency to be quite fiddly, and it especially hurts him when the car is not to his liking and that might be the source of his errors.

Giblet
Giblet

Many drivers have sorted out relatively small problems and even major ones to become much better. Rubens having to convert to left foot braking for example, or Massa having to drive a car without TC for the first time in long enough it mattered.

If he had known for sure a few weeks earlier his money and nationality and he might have been able to beat Pic to that seat at Marussia.

Besides, Glock/Pic sounds like someone is about to break in.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

timbo wrote:
Giblet wrote:The amount of playing with the throttle in the corner was very impressive and nobody else seemed to use the rear tires to turn the car in that corner to full effect like he did.

That's actually the impression I have watching onboards. It seems he has the tendency to be quite fiddly, and it especially hurts him when the car is not to his liking and that might be the source of his errors.
The impression that i got from Petrov is that he was quick, but like a newer and younger sutil, didnt quite know why. His car i feel always set up to counteract his driving prefrence to keep it more neutral. The fact he liked to keep his brefings and de-breifings to arround 10-15mins pissed off his engineers as they wanted to know more.

I dont blame the Lotus-Renault team for parting ways with Petrov and taking Grosjean as Grosjean seems to me give alot of good feedback to the team, aside from giving the team the money.

Personally, i think that Petrov will be either at Williams or at Hispania in 2012. However an exit from the sport could be what happens. Yes he deserves another shot at it, and has impressed me more than what id have expected since he came into the sport, but i think he should move over, leave for a year and come back after trying something diffrent as too many young and younger drivers come into F1 without trying another series like LMS before they get a race seat, and i think this is where Grosjean has found his speed, leaving doing Le Mans in a GT1 car and the GT1 championship then doing Auto GP tjen moving back to GP2. This i think has shown him where and why he is fast. Sutil and Petrov could do the same in 2012.

sbradley
sbradley

It must have been pretty big money with Grosjean to take out Petrov. But with the Russian link with him, I think that Marussia would most likely be where he is headed. Williams though would be a lot better option for him but nothing really solid yet in my opinion.

Worst case, he would be a test driver for Marussia until a seat would be available on the following season.

scuderiafan

sbradley wrote:It must have been pretty big money with Grosjean to take out Petrov. But with the Russian link with him, I think that Marussia would most likely be where he is headed. Williams though would be a lot better option for him but nothing really solid yet in my opinion.

Worst case, he would be a test driver for Marussia until a seat would be available on the following season.
There has been rumors that Glock's seat isn't exactly secure, although I doubt that Marussia would let Glock go.

And as for Grosjean, Total (LRGP sponsor, and FRENCH company) wanted a French driver and is paying Team Lotus a bit more.
http://planetf1.com/news/3213/7372134/R ... Turns-Sour
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: What will happen to Petrov now?

Grosjean will turn out to be a plonker. I had high hopes that the Younger pairing of Petrov and Senna would remain but alas, intead they went for an incoherant Finn with a touch of garlic.
It seems none of the team are going to take younger drivers seriously so their only hope is that Dietrich Mateschitz buys another team and bases it in .....maybe Switzerland.
SO
Senna
Petrov
even Riciardo now face no drives in 2012.

I could See Senna going where PetroBras money is.
LukOil is not in F1 so Petrov doesn't have a hope outside of Marussia.
Riciardo? Will he stay at HRT.
I can't see f1' future is in good hands if these kids don't have a desent regular drive.
Even a testing role means sitting around drinking tea

yace

scuderiafan wrote: And as for Grosjean, Total (LRGP sponsor, and FRENCH company) wanted a French driver and is paying Team Lotus a bit more.
true, total were going to leave renault (lotus if you prefer) for redbull. grosjean was their last chance to keep total as sponsor
ImageImageImage

Raptor22
Raptor22

yace wrote:
scuderiafan wrote: And as for Grosjean, Total (LRGP sponsor, and FRENCH company) wanted a French driver and is paying Team Lotus a bit more.
true, total were going to leave renault (lotus if you prefer) for redbull. grosjean was their last chance to keep total as sponsor
Total already sponsor RedBull courtesy of the Renault engine deal.

PlatinumZealot

zmiles2 wrote:With Grosjean now paired with Räkkönen at Renault, where does Vitaly Petrov end up at for 2012?
Marussia after mid season.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

Raptor22 wrote:Grosjean will turn out to be a plonker. I had high hopes that the Younger pairing of Petrov and Senna would remain but alas, intead they went for an incoherant Finn with a touch of garlic.
It seems none of the team are going to take younger drivers seriously so their only hope is that Dietrich Mateschitz buys another team and bases it in .....maybe Switzerland.
SO
Senna
Petrov
even Riciardo now face no drives in 2012.

I could See Senna going where PetroBras money is.
LukOil is not in F1 so Petrov doesn't have a hope outside of Marussia.
Riciardo? Will he stay at HRT.
I can't see f1' future is in good hands if these kids don't have a desent regular drive.
Even a testing role means sitting around drinking tea
Well there are 24 cars for the whole world to play musical chairs with.
Hundreds are bound to get rejected. That's just how it is.

The requirements to be an F1 driver need to be increased to narrow the field. Either that or increase the number of seats.
A requirement for an F1 license could now be 2 GP2 championships for example.
For Sure!!

yace

Raptor22 wrote: Total already sponsor RedBull courtesy of the Renault engine deal.
i know they already sponsor rbr, but i mean they will focus on redbull patnership, because, because now, redbull is the main team of renault, not lrgp
ImageImageImage