Toyota TF110 3d model

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Bazza

Toyota TF110 3d model

Hi everyone.

Not sure if this is the right spot, to post this, but I've been working on this for a bit and I thought I'd show it off.

Based on the reference images and the handful of shots of the car, it's reasonably accurate (within a centimeter, I'd reckon). The diffuser and underside of the floor is probably the least accurate part; based on what's known about Toyota F1 at the time and the 2 pictures that show the topside of the diffuser (fairly indicative of the underside, I've found).
There's some interesting shapes underneath the front wing (just inside the endplates). Apparently they were trying to throw a decent pair of vorticies from the endplate, and use those with the holes to try and get as much airflow as possible inside the trailing edge.

I'll render out some more images of the coming few days, and post them here.

jordangp

Re: Toyota TF110 3d model

Wow, looks great, can't wait to see some more images

SiLo

Awesome! Reckon we can get some CFD models run? Would love to see what sort of levels of downforce it would of been creating.
Felipe Baby!

NonNewtonic

Yea pretty interesting if we can get it run in a CFD software as Toyota mentioned it before its a good car, fairly radical and could be competitive

wesley123

The CFD models would be far from accvurate. As the maker said it is an estimated accuracy of 1cm. Excuse me but without any measurements etc. that is a bit far fetched. As well as the pictures not showing all the details.

The model is really good, but to state it is accurate is a bit over the top.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:The CFD models would be far from accvurate. As the maker said it is an estimated accuracy of 1cm. Excuse me but without any measurements etc. that is a bit far fetched. As well as the pictures not showing all the details.

That of course depends on the quality of the data sources. Though looking at what he cited, I'd be surprised if it was within 5cm, let alone 1.

Still, impressive model.

MIKEY_!

Absolutely fantastic, looks as if it took AGES to do. Really, really well done Bazza! =D> =D> =D>

NonNewtonic

Based on what I've seen the Toyota TF110 actually featured quite a few current aero solutions which include the 'ear' air inlet used by the McLaren and the high nose used by the Mercedes

MIKEY_!

'Ear' inlets: Williams had them in '09, I think others did too

Bazza

Hey everyone.

My model was based on the pictures available here, looking for StefanGP TF110 should return the results (the red car in the workshop provided references for the front, side, and rear wing.

As far as accuracy goes, once I'm done unwrapping I'll post some overlays with the real pictures. The biggest problem for accuracy is the underside wing profiles. I can work out the curve on the top easily enough, and it'll be damn accurate. But the underside is a bit harder. I've got no visuals, so I can't be certain. Apart from modeling what the 'logical' shape, I'm blind. Of course, it's definitely possible to work out the lower extremities of the wing, and the curve will fall within it and between the leading and trailing edges, and it will be as smooth as the material allows (and there are enough pics for that). But, as I said, the exact profile is unknown if I only know the front, top, back and one point on the bottom.

EDIT: Halfway through unwrapping. With the UV test plane applied is looks like a Bennetton.

beelsebob

Haha, nice, looks like you've got a fun time coming unwrapping the fiddly little details on the fronts of wings there. Good luck.

I honestly don't think you can get within 1cm simply by looking at pics though.

Bazza

I've got enough pictures of most of the car; aligning points to multiple perspectives (triangulation) can be extremely accurate, providing the pictures are good enough. Legal dimensions help, too. The real test will be the reflective renders. As I said, the biggest problem is getting the unserside curves, and the base of the diffuser. Edge radii are also something of an unknown - they don't pnotograph well because they're small and the highlights cause some unwanted bloom.

The only thing left to unwrap on the front wing is the 'endplate'.

If anyone's interested in giving it a whirl through cfd, what's the ideal file format? I've sent it through simple wind tunnels, but nothing serious. As was said earlier, you won't get 100% accurate details, but you should get a damn good idea of what it would have been like.

Another thing it might eventually be useful for is bodywork shape testing. Scarbs has talked about exhaust outlet positioning and what not. Maybe it can be used as the generic F! that can be messed with.

Just_a_fan

wesley123 wrote:The CFD models would be far from accvurate. As the maker said it is an estimated accuracy of 1cm. Excuse me but without any measurements etc. that is a bit far fetched. As well as the pictures not showing all the details.

Well, considering we had a hugely long thread about forward exhausts based on some made-up car models of unknown accuracy, I reckon something like this should be welcomed with open arms.

I'd love to see this run through cfd and then we can look at how changing aspects of the design affect the overall car's performance. We'd all learn a hell of a lot about how the cars work in a general sense from doing such a thing.

Well done to the OP - it's a great looking model and the best I've seen on this site.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Bazza wrote:Hey everyone.

My model was based on the pictures available here, looking for StefanGP TF110 should return the results (the red car in the workshop provided references for the front, side, and rear wing.

As far as accuracy goes, once I'm done unwrapping I'll post some overlays with the real pictures. The biggest problem for accuracy is the underside wing profiles. I can work out the curve on the top easily enough, and it'll be damn accurate. But the underside is a bit harder. I've got no visuals, so I can't be certain. Apart from modeling what the 'logical' shape, I'm blind. Of course, it's definitely possible to work out the lower extremities of the wing, and the curve will fall within it and between the leading and trailing edges, and it will be as smooth as the material allows (and there are enough pics for that). But, as I said, the exact profile is unknown if I only know the front, top, back and one point on the bottom.

EDIT: Halfway through unwrapping. With the UV test plane applied is looks like a Bennetton.
Which program might I ask?
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Tozza Mazza

Did you use the technical regulations to aid with the design work?

I doubt any CFD would give anywhere near 'true to life' results. The OP doesnt know wing profiles, and judging by the (poor quality) reference images, I doubt measurements are within a centremetre, probably closer to 5 as Wes said.

Credit where credit is due, the OP has done a fantastic job, it looks great. What are your plans for the model.