Pirelli Seek New Test Car For 2013 Tyres

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Pirelli Seek New Test Car For 2013 Tyres

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97110

There is one solution to this, and its called in season testing.

My solution is 4 tests at 4 diffrent tracks; where all teams bring a 2012 test car and each team has one set of the 20 sets of rubber that Pirelli wishes to test. And this solution could also kill another bird, over the 3 days, each team has to use a test, reserve or development driver.

As for funding the tests for the smaller teams, this could be done for them by selling the test seat to GP2 drivers for instnce.

As for tracks;

Test 1: Motorland Aragón, Spain
Test 2: Portamao, Portugal
Test 3: Brands Hatch, United Kingdom
Test 4: Mugello, Italy

Id also like to see the tests twinned with races to a point. It will provide 12 extra days testing a year, and would provide Ferrari what they want in more testing. Id have 12 days pre season, 12 days in season and a futher 6 days post season as well, whitch would give 30 days testing a year.

If my data is correct, and if teams do a maximum (average) of 450km a day, they can cover a maximum of 13,500km a season, whitch id reduce to a distance of 12,000km tops for the test car. Whitch is an aditional drivers season of distance for the teams as well.

It will give Pirelli up to an exra 5,000km data per day, as for data to teams, all teams have to hand over the data to Pirelli and they will share it with everyone else to ensure a fair and even playing feild.

Pre season, Pirelli would have to provide their 2012 rubber to the teams, no experimentation as well.

I recon there can be a solution to Pirelli wanting a test car and the teams wanting to test more in season, and a way to get young drivers into F1.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Pirelli Seek New Test Car For 2013 Tyres

Why don't they just do tyre test sessions and use test/young drivers on a Monday after some races?

It's such a simple solution to such an uncomplicated problem

Holm86

A tyre test only with young, reserve or test drivers dont make sense. They have zero experience with the regular tires and so have nothing to compare to.
So they cant give any productive feedback.

astracrazy
astracrazy

the idea is for Pirelli to gain data not for teams to compare the current tyres to future tyres. Just a plus side would be extra experience for young drivers

they should make a rule that the a tyre specific tests only and the car should be the same as that which completes the previous race

edit: Romain Grosjean tested for Pirelli last year

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Holm86 wrote:A tyre test only with young, reserve or test drivers dont make sense. They have zero experience with the regular tires and so have nothing to compare to.
That's why you have "control" tires at a tire test...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Jersey Tom wrote:
Holm86 wrote:A tyre test only with young, reserve or test drivers dont make sense. They have zero experience with the regular tires and so have nothing to compare to.
That's why you have "control" tires at a tire test...
Pretty much, what you do is you throw him out on a known compound at the start of each day, that compound could be the current Soft for example. Then when he goes out for the 6 or 7 next stints, he has something to compair the other stints to.

Say each stint is 20 laps, that means the driver gets arround 160 laps, whitch arround 745km a day underneath him, arround Barcelona for example. For in season testing this would be a total of 8,940km that a teams development driver squad could do in a season. When a team does an average of 5,000km pre season, and even if they did 7,500km for in season testing, and if there was 2 three-day tests at the end of the year for young and race drivers to be on track at the same time, they could get 15,000km a year testing out of it easily. Whitch i think is economically viable and practicable for the teams. I think 30 days testing a year is ideal, 12 pre season, 12 days in season and 6 days post season.
Last edited by ESPImperium on 20 Jan 2012, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

bhall
bhall

What happened to the 2010 Toyota/Stefan GP car?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The S01-01 aKa the TF110-01 still exists, its painted red, the TF110-02 also exists as well. Both are in a museum i think.

jakelewismclaren
jakelewismclaren

bhallg2k wrote:What happened to the 2010 Toyota/Stefan GP car?
it would have been a good test car but it doesn't have the single deck defuser, and it would be hard to modify it with one, i think there needs to be 2 test cars, i would go for the McLaren MP4-26 and the Force India from last season
Come On McLaren

raymondu999

Why the McLaren and Force India in particular?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

scotty86

The only way it seems they can realistically continue the testing and please all parties is to either give more development tyres out for use in practice, or even better to get more young driver/tyre test days sorted - several birds can be killed with one stone then... The solution is actually so glaringly obvious i just can't understand why it hasn't happened already. :shock:
jakelewismclaren wrote:i think there needs to be 2 test cars, i would go for the McLaren MP4-26 and the Force India from last season
Biased much? :lol:

jakelewismclaren
jakelewismclaren

well a car that was 2nd fastest, and a car that was mid field,
Come On McLaren

bhall
bhall

Wouldn't the Red Bull and HRT make more sense if that's the direction you want to go?

I hope that maybe, just maybe, Pirelli's needs will result in a more sensible testing policy being implemented in F1. I think most would agree that a return to unlimited testing isn't prudent, but I also think that most would agree that the current policy isn't prudent, either.

I personally think that having quarterly testing sessions is a great solution. Four organized tests per year would allow meaningful time for teams to evaluate young drivers, tires and their own performance capabilities, all without breaking the bank.

jakelewismclaren
jakelewismclaren

yea i guess so, i just used mclaren as an example,, and young drivers really do need the testing but thats a different matter
Come On McLaren

scuderiafan

Do you mean each team tests a different compound, or each team tests the same compounds? To get the best data, wouldn't each team have to test the same sets of tires that every other team tests?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...