Pat Symonds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Max Speed
Max Speed

Pat Symonds

A lot of publicity about the re-named Marussia team over the last few days, with Pat Symonds being interviewed left, right, and centre. How the hell anybody that was part of the Singapore GP 09 outrage is allowed back in through the gates of a circuit, let alone be regarded as an "authority", is beyond me.

Max Speed
Max Speed

Re: Pat Symonds

Pardon me, Singapore 08!

scuderiafan

He was banned from F1 for 5 years, and will return in 2013. In the meantime, he is allowed to be a consultant to the team.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

scuderiafan wrote:He was banned from F1 for 5 years, and will return in 2013. In the meantime, he is allowed to be a consultant to the team.
And in this case consultant meaning basically the technical director.

Jeffsvilleusa

I think he was also writing articles in F1 racing the last few years- ethics aside, he would be a great authority for F1 journalism! However, yes the whole situation stinks, and of course Alonso came out smelling like roses, rotten, filthy roses, but roses nonetheless.
Box! Box!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Also his ban applies to circuits, not theam bases, whitch means he is able to spend more time at base and not at circuits.

And he is on a consultants contract at present, where his job is all about writing reports, whitch "team management" implement.

He is a Technichal Director in all but name.

xpensive
xpensive

I still believe both Symonds and Briatore were innocent, just victims of a political fight within the FIA.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Max Speed
Max Speed

xpensive wrote:I still believe both Symonds and Briatore were innocent, just victims of a political fight within the FIA.
So it was purely Piquet's decision to crash?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Max Speed wrote:
xpensive wrote:I still believe both Symonds and Briatore were innocent, just victims of a political fight within the FIA.
Im kind of with xpensive here. Way i saw it was that certain members within the FIA wanted Pat and Flavio gone. Its just that Piquet, a man who didn't want his name being muddied for being 'slow' or a poor driver. I believe (the rumours at the time) that Renault offered him a spell in a lower down car and then to come back to the team after half a season with that team. The rumours in 2009 were that they were to seat him in Bourdais Toro Rosso STR4 at Hungary and for the rest of the 2009 season, and for Renault to seat Bourdais or Senna in the R29, however Bourdais had a clause that if he left STR he would have to not compete for any other for the rest of that season, Senna was tied to a non release contract with Oreca LMP1 team. They took Grosjean as the 3rd choice as Flavio and Pat wanted an experienced head alongside Alonso for the rest of the year.

Even in 2008 Flavio wanted Piquet gone seemingly, he wanted him replaced after 8 GP by Coulthard so that Red Bull could put Vettel in the Red Bull RB4 and then put Buemi in the STR3. It was offered to Red Bull, but the only sticking point was that Piquet had a contract that gave him a certain amount of starts with the team, and that was 18 races that season.

I think that Pat and Flavio were stitched up as they were outspoken at that time against certain people in the FIA and FOM who wanted them out the way. Flavio was wanting the teams to gain shares in CVC/FOM at the time, and Pat was wanting certain technical changes to the 2010 regulations.

It was a stitch up to me, i have no evidence to back me up, but i am allowed my own opinions.

Pandamasque

'Briatore' and 'innocent' in the same sentense. I see what you did there. :)

Max Speed
Max Speed

ESPImperium wrote:
Max Speed wrote:
Im kind of with xpensive here. Way i saw it was that certain members within the FIA wanted Pat and Flavio gone. Its just that Piquet, a man who didn't want his name being muddied for being 'slow' or a poor driver. I believe (the rumours at the time) that Renault offered him a spell in a lower down car and then to come back to the team after half a season with that team. The rumours in 2009 were that they were to seat him in Bourdais Toro Rosso STR4 at Hungary and for the rest of the 2009 season, and for Renault to seat Bourdais or Senna in the R29, however Bourdais had a clause that if he left STR he would have to not compete for any other for the rest of that season, Senna was tied to a non release contract with Oreca LMP1 team. They took Grosjean as the 3rd choice as Flavio and Pat wanted an experienced head alongside Alonso for the rest of the year.

Even in 2008 Flavio wanted Piquet gone seemingly, he wanted him replaced after 8 GP by Coulthard so that Red Bull could put Vettel in the Red Bull RB4 and then put Buemi in the STR3. It was offered to Red Bull, but the only sticking point was that Piquet had a contract that gave him a certain amount of starts with the team, and that was 18 races that season.

I think that Pat and Flavio were stitched up as they were outspoken at that time against certain people in the FIA and FOM who wanted them out the way. Flavio was wanting the teams to gain shares in CVC/FOM at the time, and Pat was wanting certain technical changes to the 2010 regulations.

It was a stitch up to me, i have no evidence to back me up, but i am allowed my own opinions.
Yes, ok, who knows what went on, BUT......I was talking about Piquet throwing the Renault into the wall intentionally. An insult to the memory of all the drivers and spectators who have been killed or injures in ACCIDENTS over the years - it was SOMEBODY'S decision to do this, possibly all three (Briatore, Symonds, Piquet), and, if that was the case, none of them deserve to be employed in Motor Sport, in any shape or form, again

scarbs
scarbs

The way I see how justice works, is that someone is found guilty, given a punishment and then when the punishment is served the matter is over.
Pat is serving his exclusion and is still able to do what he does best, engineer racing cars.
If you have any issue with the punishment he was given, let off at the FIA WMSC, not those involved.
Pats doing his job and quite well from what isee.

Max Speed
Max Speed

Remember, this is a forum to express opinions, and that is what I am doing - I am not "letting off" anywhere to my knowledge - and I am strongly of the opinion that some actions are unforgivable; this being one of them. It is only pure lick that nobody died that day; if that had happened, there would be no discussion on the rights and wrongs of Symonds re-involvement - it would have never happened.

MarkoF1
MarkoF1

I guess we'll have to wait for Pat's autobiography to come out to hear what 'really' happened.