Marussia & HRT

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Polarbear
Polarbear

Marussia & HRT

Has anyone got any news about Marussia? I know that HRT are still to launch, but at least there is some news in the press about failing homologation tests.

Do you think "no news is good news", or that they are struggling?

JohnnyChimpo

Re: Marussia & HRT

Information has been pretty scarce... Marussia has had'delays' in getting the car built. http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motorspor ... 68547.html

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

From what ive read, Marussia have passed all crash tests, however they lack the spares and certain key parts to be able to take to the track in Barcelona for BCN1 Test in the new car, they are taking the old MVR-02 for the test for tyre testing.

Hispania have the parts, just not the pass certificates for the crash tests for 13 to 17.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

ESPImperium wrote:From what ive read, Marussia have passed all crash tests, however they lack the spares and certain key parts to be able to take to the track in Barcelona for BCN1 Test in the new car, they are taking the old MVR-02 for the test for tyre testing.

Hispania have the parts, just not the pass certificates for the crash tests for 13 to 17.
ESP, HRT only failed 2 tests didn't they? and couldn't complete one, I hear some where completed today and 1 more on Monday?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

True, i thought it was 4. 17 can only be done once 16 is done i think. And both relate to the nose box. The roll hoop one is 14 i think.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

And the previous failures, are they down to design or strength do you think?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Or not enough time curing the carbon in the lay up process. or even structural integrity taken away from the part post production lay up and curing process. Even the wrong weave of CF being used, even the CF used in the wrong direction.

There are many different ways a part can fail. The primary culprate is due to the manufacture process and the big thing that parts fail, time, and not enough time spent in either Design and R&D or construction.

krisfx
krisfx

Teams like HRT seem bad for the sport, they don't really look like they take it seriously and can't really put the funds required in. I know that they came in when the teams were asked to cut their budgets right back, but still...

dice782

krisfx wrote:Teams like HRT seem bad for the sport, they don't really look like they take it seriously and can't really put the funds required in. I know that they came in when the teams were asked to cut their budgets right back, but still...
I don't think any of the new teams are bad for F1. I think over the years the expectations of having extravagant, rich well funded F1 teams has been bad for the sport. The FIA have tried to make the sport more international but F1 engineering is still only based in a few European locations. If F1 teams could draw from a wider pool of personnel, engineering & manufacturing then I am sure it would be more affordable for start up teams with realistic budgets.

krisfx
krisfx

dice782 wrote:
krisfx wrote:Teams like HRT seem bad for the sport, they don't really look like they take it seriously and can't really put the funds required in. I know that they came in when the teams were asked to cut their budgets right back, but still...
I don't think any of the new teams are bad for F1. I think over the years the expectations of having extravagant, rich well funded F1 teams has been bad for the sport. The FIA have tried to make the sport more international but F1 engineering is still only based in a few European locations. If F1 teams could draw from a wider pool of personnel, engineering & manufacturing then I am sure it would be more affordable for start up teams with realistic budgets.
Well yeah obviously if the money could be capped more it'd make it better for new teams. I just think with all the issues they have, and their apparent disregard for the timescale they are given seems stupid. I haven't got links with F1 and as a result could be missing a few things out with a biased opinion. But I think if you're at the back of the grid by a few seconds, you should really have enough time develop next years car?

Apologies if I sound ignorant. The way the news writes things these days just makes HRT look a bit lackadaisical!

dice782

I also feel that HRT are at times lackadaisical especially after they announced they will be missing next weeks Barcelona practice even though they are a Spanish team. In my opinion they should run the F111 anyway, and give Narian and Clos some time on the track and also give all their new staff a chance to get more experience. It doesn't give a good impression.

but to me it seems the media are harsher towards HRT , because look at Marussia their new car is also delayed. Even though they passed the crash test, like HRT they are also not going to be at the test next week.

Last year Colin Kolles was saying that HRT was in a better position then some other teams,(HRT had no credit and all their bills were paid) and I think he was right, although I don't know which teams he meant. Could have been Sauber could have been Virgin.

Looking at things this year Catherham drops Trulli for a pay driver and Virgin are totally silent about everything. Anything can happen no team is immune any team can be in trouble financially. Its not only about how much funding they get its also about how much they owe to creditors.

krisfx
krisfx

Yeah I suppose you're right, I don't really rate any of them, obviously someone has to finish last, but being said laps off the back of the field is astounding, especially when a GP2 car could probably lap quicker than yours.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

ESPImperium wrote:Or not enough time curing the carbon in the lay up process. or even structural integrity taken away from the part post production lay up and curing process. Even the wrong weave of CF being used, even the CF used in the wrong direction.

There are many different ways a part can fail. The primary culprate is due to the manufacture process and the big thing that parts fail, time, and not enough time spent in either Design and R&D or construction.
When a team fails a specific part of the crash test, do they get told what they have failed on, so they can fix straight away or do the team have to figure it out themselves?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

cbbcisace wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Or not enough time curing the carbon in the lay up process. or even structural integrity taken away from the part post production lay up and curing process. Even the wrong weave of CF being used, even the CF used in the wrong direction.

When a team fails a specific part of the crash test, do they get told what they have failed on, so they can fix straight away or do the team have to figure it out themselves?
I belive they are given guidance, but not exact details. The teams usually know as within those guidance paramaters they give enough details for them to know.

However there will be better qualified people out there to give the specifics of crash testing.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

ESPImperium wrote:
cbbcisace wrote:

I belive they are given guidance, but not exact details. The teams usually know as within those guidance paramaters they give enough details for them to know.

However there will be better qualified people out there to give the specifics of crash testing.
No probs, seems a lot of people are confused as to these new test... Joe Saward and Motorsport Total have struggled with a new test yesterday (Friday) and in Spain they have passed..... guess we will see next week!