Spa, Grandstands or General admission?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Donuts

Spa, Grandstands or General admission?

I'm going to Spa this year, to see Kimi Raikkonen win! :wink:

I've "heard" that many people(fans)are of the opinion that the grandstands(far from track?) are a waste of money beacuse the general admission is very good(contrary to other circuits I've been to). Is this true(I'm thinking about buying GOLD 3 or 4, I really don't want to miss Eau Rouge if I go to Spa)? Even if general admission is as good as I've heard, is'nt it hard to get a spot at the really good places?

When I'm at it, any Hotels to recommend?

Appreciate some advice.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Richard

Re: Spa, Grandstands or General admission?

There was a thread on this last year. I recall JET and xpensive had some banter. I can't find the thread though.

gridwalker

Depends what you want : If you want a seat and a big screen, go for a grandstand. If you want good photos, general admission is better.

I had a grandstand seat when I went to Spa, but the only photos that I framed from the event were taken in general admission areas.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

beelsebob

Find somewhere where you're high up, with a view of a lot of corners – unfortunately, at Spa, this isn't easy. The best place I've watched a GP from was at the old Bridge at Silverstone – you could see the action all the way from coming under the bridge to what was then the start/finish straight.

At Spa, I think the best you're likely to get is to be right on the opposite side of the turn 1 hairpin, so you can see down the start/finish straight, and see down the hill to eau rouge.

george1981

I went to Spa 12 years ago now with a general admission ticket. We found all the places we thought would be a good place to watch the race were full and had been since the Thursday. In the end we watched the race from Stavelot which was ok but not great. If I were to go again I would get a grandstand seat near a big screen.

Pierce89

george1981 wrote:I went to Spa 12 years ago now with a general admission ticket. We found all the places we thought would be a good place to watch the race were full and had been since the Thursday. In the end we watched the race from Stavelot which was ok but not great. If I were to go again I would get a grandstand seat near a big screen.
Sounds like most gen. ad. race events i've been to. The regulars get the good spots before you even land in town.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Donuts

Allright, since I won't risk having bad seats(it's only once a year and probably once in a decade for me) I'll go for the grandstand at Eau Rouge(probably covered since the chance of rain is high as always). Thank's for the opinions!
The mind of Alain Prost.

beelsebob

Donuts wrote:Allright, since I won't risk having bad seats(it's only once a year and probably once in a decade for me) I'll go for the grandstand at Eau Rouge(probably covered since the chance of rain is high as always). Thank's for the opinions!
One more piece of advice – don't sit somewhere where the cars are going fast! In general, all you get from that is a sore neck, whipping it back and forward.

Giblet

I've never been to Spa, but went to Canada. I would not recommend GA there as I did, as the man made island the track is on is so flat it is a little silly. Very hard to get a view that is not level with the track and behind 2 fences.

Spa looks way more hilly so looks better for GA to me.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

gridwalker

Although the Eau Rouge grandstand sounds good, that was where I sat and I wasn't too pleased with what I got to see. It may be different now we have DRS, but very little action happened in front of us and we were dependent on the big screen to see anything of interest.

I'd watch a re-run of last year's race and pick a spot based on the most frequent passing spot.

Donuts

So, I guess from what I'm reading, Le Combes(Silver 3) is the place to be and then walk around(general admission). But that won't allow me to see Eau Rouge? The general admission area does'nt seem to stretch that far... anyone knows how it looks in reality?
The mind of Alain Prost.

Tim.Wright

I'm watching this thread with interest. I want to go to spa this year as well. Of course I can't go without seeing Eau Rouge, but I can imagine its a bit like sitting in the middle of a straight. Cars enter from the right, disappear to the left very quickly with not mucht o see in the middle. Les combes or the main straight seem a good bet.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

gridwalker

Eau Rouge is great when you just want to see cars moving quickly, but it isn't a great spot for watching real racing (other than during the first couple of laps, before the field spreads). The speed of the cars and the commitment of the drivers is impressive, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Le Combes sounds like somewhere I'd consider when I eventually go back ...

Donuts

After having a look at videos from Le Combes, Eau Rouge and several other places... I'm starting to think that general admission(e.g. busstop chicane) + Kangaroo Tv is the best option!
The mind of Alain Prost.

Steven
Owner

I've been several years to spa, but always with a Silver grandstand ticket.

Once we were at the start finish, another time at Combes, but the most interesting grandstand to me still remains Bruxelles. It is also a great place to take pictures.

The inside of Bruxelles is GA, and a hill, allowing you to take pictures above the fences and very close to the track. That little hill is always crowded with photographers.

Personally I think it's nice at Pouhon as well, but you're in the grass there (not necessarily a problem though).

Enjoy!