2012 Australian GP predictions

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr
myurr

2012 Australian GP predictions

This post by JET made me think that starting a new thread would be interesting:

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:My testing impressions are that Red Bull are slightly ahead of McLaren in terms of pace, but not much in that.

After this we have 4 or 5 teams in with a shout.

Mercedes have raw pace on long runs but their tyre wear is an issue.
Lotus appear fast. How fast is a question we will see answered emphatically in Australia.
Then we have Force India who appear to have an all round very well balanced car that looks especially stable through corners. Again, how well sorted this car is we wont know for sure until Oz.
Then Ferrari. They appear to be in trouble, but there is potential in the car. How they can utilise the next week to prep for the season start will give us a good indication as to where the Scuderia are heading in 2012.
Sauber appear to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the C31. Their exhaust solution is intelligent, and the car is out the box quick. However, I do have reservations about the loss of Key, and of course Saubers flattering to deceive in testing.

My predictions for Oz:
Red Bull
McLaren
<around 0.4-0.7 seconds margin>
Mercedes
Lotus
<tiny gap>
Force India
Ferrari
<Gap>
Sauber

The dark horse for me is Mercedes. We haven't seen any lower fuel run from this team. Their concentration was on very long runs and race sims. I saw the McLaren run softs and its degradation was near exactly in alignment with Mercedes at very similar times at the same time of the day(temp, track condition factors)They appear to know exactly where they are and I think we will see an arms race develop as the season goes on. At certain tracks, this team could surprise.

For what it's worth my prediction for qualifying:

Red Bull fastest in qualifying from McLaren, but nothing to choose between them in race pace after the first few laps.
<0.2s gap>
Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus
<0.5s gap>
Force India, Torro Rosso
<gap>
Sauber, Williams
<tiny gap>
Caterham
<big gap>
HRT, Marussia

In the race I think Williams and Sauber will close up a bit on FI and TR, that Ferrari and Mercedes will drop back a little, and that Lotus will stay a couple of tenths behind the RB and McLaren. I think that Caterham may do better in the race and will occasionally mix it with the mid field on merit rather than circumstance.

Over the course of the year I expect McLaren and Red Bull to break clear of the pack and battle it out all season long. Ferrari to capture 3rd fastest team and occasionally mix it at the front. Mercedes to run Ferrari close. Lotus and Torro Rosso to fade a little with Force India and Sauber gaining. Williams to fall back a bit and Caterham to trouble them regularly by the end of the year.

I also think that by the end of the year HRT will be routinely beating Marussia but both will be well off the pace and that one or other of them will be in serious danger of not making it to the grid for next season.

Fredy4
Fredy4

Re: Australian GP predictions

My predictions...

Red Bull
McLaren -0.2
Mercedes -0.5
Ferrari -0.6
Force India -0.9
Lotus - 1.1
STR -1.4
Sauber - 1.6
Last edited by Fredy4 on 04 Mar 2012, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

For me...
McLaren
RBR -0.05
Mercedes -0.3
Lotus -0.5
Force India -0.8
Ferrari -1.0
Sauber -1.2

type056
type056

McLaren
Mercedes
Red Bull
Ferrari
Sauber
Lotus
Force India
STR
Not important

beelsebob
beelsebob

type056 wrote:Not important
Nah – there's one more important one – I want to see Caterham beat someone who isn't a bunch of retards pretending to be an F1 team.

FrukostScones

Qualifying:
Vettel, Rosberg, Hamilton, Webber, Grosjean, Alonso, Button, Perez, Raikkonen, Schumacher, Kobayashi, Hulkenberg, Senna, Ricciardo, DiResta, Maldonado, Massa, Vergne, Kovalainen, Petrov

Race:
Perez, Rosberg, Hamilton, Button, Grosjean, Webber, Kobayashi, HUlkenberg, Ricciardo, Schumacher, Alonso, Senna, Vergne, Maldonado, Massa, Kovalainen, Petrov
Vettel DNF like some others maybe too
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

beelsebob
beelsebob

I don't really see why so many people are putting Sauber so high up. Yes they appear to have a solid mid field package, but I don't see them anywhere near the front.

ElleMarie

Red Bull
McLaren -0.1
Mercedes -0.3
Ferrari -0.6
Lotus - 0.6
Sauber - 0.9
Williams -1.0
Force India -1.1
STR -1.4
Caterham - 2.0
HRT - 2.5
Virgin - 3.5

bhall
bhall

Why not?

Red Bull
McLaren

Lotus
Mercedes

Sauber
Ferrari
Williams
STR
Force India
Caterham

Marussia
HRT

Predictably, the gaps I've left indicate significant performance gaps between teams that are otherwise more evenly matched. I wouldn't dare attempt to quantify any of those differences, though.

Shrieker

bhallg2k wrote: Predictably, the gaps I've left indicate significant performance gaps between teams that are otherwise more evenly matched. I wouldn't dare attempt to quantify any of those differences, though.
That seems just about right to me.

Here's my take:

Red Bull
McLaren

Ferrari
Mercedes
Lotus

Force India
STR
Williams
Sauber

Caterham

Marussia

HRT
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

elf341
elf341

This is a fun thread!

My predictions:

Code: Select all

Red Bull
McLaren     +0.2
Mercedes    +0.6
Lotus       +0.7
Ferrari     +0.7
Force India +1.0
Sauber      +1.1
Williams    +1.2
STR         +1.2
Caterham    +2.0

WhiteBlue

I think I go with Lauda about Ferrari and the pecking order:
They’re behind, no doubt about it. The car is pretty unstable, slipping at the front as well — I think they could be two or three tenths behind the top three.
Red Bull
McLaren
Mercedes
Ferrari
Lotus

would be my guess for the speed of the cars.

Vettel
Hamilton
Button
Webber
Rosberg
Alonso
Schumacher
Räikkönen
Grosjean
Massa

could be the qualifying order.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

dren

At the start Schumacher will split from 5th on the grid Vettel and Hamilton on the front row. He will be in the lead by turn one. Massa will locate Hamilton from P12 around the outside with his GPS. He'll spear him in turn one, causing Hamilton to rotate and take out Vettel. Webber will dive inside and chop Button, taking them both out. Rosberg will make it out of the mess and finish 2nd for an AMG 1-2. Raikkonen will fend of Alonso to finish 3rd. Schumacher will jump on the podium. Brawn will cry. Kimi will look dead. Danica Patrick watching at home after crashing her NASCAR will wonder how a woman made it onto the podium after the race not realizing it is Rosberg.
Honda!

raymondu999

What do you mean not realizing it's Rosberg? How can she know it's a girl then? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

donskar
donskar

Voting with heart; brain occupied with making a living:
1 - Kimi
2 - Button
3 - Vettel
4 - Alonso
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill