Melbourne GP race fee

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hail22

Re: Melbourne GP race fee

Cold Fussion wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Avalon is in Victoria xD Eastern Creek is in New South Wales (Sydney) and is currently undergoing highway extension and rail link upgrades.

Department of events and sports already stated that Formula 1 is a consideration pending consultation.

The project will only be a small sum of $160 million as the track is there it would only be an upgrade of the surrounding facilities, pit lane, and possibly the extension of the circuit to include some long back straights etc.

Final approval of these "plans" (as it does not state Formula just an upgrade to the circuit) is going to be approved/denied August this year which means 2 years construction isn't far fetched to take the GP post 2015.
I'm curious as to these rail link upgrades you're talking about. I live 20 minutes away from Eastern Creek and I honestly have doubts you could shuffle a huge amount of people into it without the whole thing falling apart. There is a 3 lane motorway which runs not even 100m away from the circuit but that has no exist to the track so instead you have to loop out of it and use what would be a highly conjested highway to get to the circuit. The track is also quite far away from any station, and as to those upgrades you mention I am not seeing it and I travel that stretch of track every day on my way to uni.

This is of course over shadowed by the bigger problem that Eastern Creek is a woefully boring race track. The Melbourne GP is broadcasted to possible 100s of millions of people a year, plus all the radio and newspaper coverage. How can one even quantify how much that is worth? To advertise Melbourne to that many people any other way would cost vastly more than 50 million. The only problem with the GP is the people of Melbourne, who are to busy sipping Latte's and some trendy caffe to see the whole picture.
If your in construction then you would know there is big plans for Sydney

However with the rail whether its medium, or light rail its up to the State Gov and Fed Gov to come to an agreement on whether they will assist in the boosting of infrastucture (airports, rail, ports).

Things are in motion starting from the upgrade of the Sydney Metro Electrical grid to prevent shortages or outages cutting the CBD's power supply.

The plan has yet to be approved and the rail is subject to the State Governments own budget/projections.

From a construction point of view a relative who has a draft of the plans clearly shows the revamped Eastern Creek is by far different to the track it is today, however its subject to EPA, State planning, Regulatory approval.

So we won't know til August but once more its up to the State Gov and Federal Government with roads and rail networks however it would be logical for an infrastructure boost to Penrith as two lines isn't enough.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

I'm not sure if the rail link to Penrith is really in desperate need of upgrading. The trains from Penrith only run often as it is for around 4-5 hours a day during the peak times, the rest of the time it's a train every half an hour and I think 2 lines is enough to accommodate that. What would be must more useful I think would be a new line from Penrith to Richmond/Windsor, because that whole area is just a mess transportation wise.

As far as for these re-vamped Eastern Creek proposals, care to share what they look like? I would think the m4 would need an Eastern Creek exist (and while they're at it, fix the memory road exist...).

Hail22

Cold Fussion wrote:I'm not sure if the rail link to Penrith is really in desperate need of upgrading. The trains from Penrith only run often as it is for around 4-5 hours a day during the peak times, the rest of the time it's a train every half an hour and I think 2 lines is enough to accommodate that. What would be must more useful I think would be a new line from Penrith to Richmond/Windsor, because that whole area is just a mess transportation wise.

As far as for these re-vamped Eastern Creek proposals, care to share what they look like? I would think the m4 would need an Eastern Creek exist (and while they're at it, fix the memory road exist...).
The plans will become public as of August the 22nd, I cannot upload or make copies for various legal reasons as the document/plans for now are to be kept confident until proposals are approved and project goes to tender.

A direct exit to the creek isn't the best idea, probably an upgrade and creation of a dual carriage way heading to eastern creek would be good for shuttle busses, taxis, cars since there is no shortage of parking at WSID, Eastern Creek in General.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

elmerfud
elmerfud

This topic made half a page in the Herald sun newspaper yesterday, Albert parks metro roads which make up the track are showing their age. Can't see the night race being rubber stamped, some of Melbournes most exclusive real estate skirts the park and many residents are very anti f1 race.

I heard Lindsay Fox who owns Phillip Island is begging for the race, but Bernie says no dice.
The days of a track gaining preference because of a historical link seem to be making way for Herman Tilke and bulldozer loads of cash to build arena.

Phillip island holds my hopes, but it'll never fly.

Lezza
Lezza

This stuff about Eastern Creek - is it just hot air, and if not, can someone give me a link to the detail?

Hail22

Lezza wrote:This stuff about Eastern Creek - is it just hot air, and if not, can someone give me a link to the detail?
Your dreaming if your getting a copy of the drafted plans submitted to the department of planning buddy is all i will say.

You will need to wait like every other publican unless your in construction with subsequent pre-qualifications to have the ability to apply to tender if approved.

It will be public as of the 22nd of August.

Gilles Villeneuve

djdayvg
djdayvg

Mysticf1 wrote:
Post subject: Re: Melbourne GP race fee

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/avalon ... 5835105704

As you can see this article is dated 2010 and I've heard nothing since, so unfortunately i think the idea may be dead. It would have been a great venue not just for F1.
The proposals for Avalon are far from dead and the Confederation for Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) has commissioned a case study and plans to be drawn up. They were supposed to be going to Government to talk about funding at the end of last year (2011), but I haven't heard any results of these discussions yet.

There's a copy of the proposed track design and links to news articles on this Facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Race-T ... 3515181213

I really hope it does get built - Australia is world renowned for our sporting facilities, but are somewhat let down in the field of Motorsports.

Dave

Psyclone
Psyclone

Eastern Creek announced a $9m upgrade at the end of January. The article linked below has a track map of the upgrade.

No idea if this is the same upgrade Hail is talking about. There was an article in Auto Action (print) a few years ago that had Apex designs (Same company as Avalon) redesigning the circuit, running the opposite direction among other things, although the circuit wouldn't be F1 spec.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/01/29/9-m ... ern-creek/
tl:dr

Hail22

Psyclone wrote:Eastern Creek announced a $9m upgrade at the end of January. The article linked below has a track map of the upgrade.

No idea if this is the same upgrade Hail is talking about. There was an article in Auto Action (print) a few years ago that had Apex designs (Same company as Avalon) redesigning the circuit, running the opposite direction among other things, although the circuit wouldn't be F1 spec.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/01/29/9-m ... ern-creek/

It may be a stage one of the development but overall what i was told by my relative was around the 155-160 Mil mark, no exacts but around that figure plus its still up in the air until a department of planning decision in August.

Gilles Villeneuve

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

djdayvg wrote:
Mysticf1 wrote:
Post subject: Re: Melbourne GP race fee

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/avalon ... 5835105704

As you can see this article is dated 2010 and I've heard nothing since, so unfortunately i think the idea may be dead. It would have been a great venue not just for F1.
The proposals for Avalon are far from dead and the Confederation for Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) has commissioned a case study and plans to be drawn up. They were supposed to be going to Government to talk about funding at the end of last year (2011), but I haven't heard any results of these discussions yet.

There's a copy of the proposed track design and links to news articles on this Facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Race-T ... 3515181213

I really hope it does get built - Australia is world renowned for our sporting facilities, but are somewhat let down in the field of Motorsports.

Dave
I'm struggling to think of a less interesting location than Avalon.