Alonso on Vettel vs Hamilton

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nando
Nando

Alonso on Vettel vs Hamilton

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

myurr
myurr

Re: Alonso on Vettel vs Hamilton

Will be interesting to see how some fans square this one. Is Alonso just a Hamilton fanboi like the other's who have dared to suggest this?

Steven
Owner

He's basically reflecting what many have said here.
While Vettel MAY be the best, he has not shown yet that he can handle a crappy car as well as FA or HAM yet. But then again, he really didn't have to so far.

Tip: I'm watching this thread as of now. Be nice ;)

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I think he is right.

I also think that it is an underhanded way of saying that he doesn't believe that Vettel is as good as him either, because Alonso has won several races with a car that isn't the best, and he finished on equal terms with Hamilton during their Mclaren season.

jdlive
jdlive

When exactly has Hamilton driven a ----car? He's always had at least the 2nd best car. The only one allowed to use the ----car argument is Alonso himself because he actually proved it in --- cars. His remarks about Hamilton are the two guys who are left behind patting each other on the back "don't give up" etc. Psychology 101.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Websta

I agree with JimClarkFan - that's at least what I would do if I were Alonso. God, I wish I was Alonso.

Hamilton drove a crap car in 2009, but I wouldn't say it was worse than the STR2/3.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

jdlive wrote:When exactly has Hamilton driven a ----car? He's always had at least the 2nd best car. The only one allowed to use the ----car argument is Alonso himself because he actually proved it in --- cars. His remarks about Hamilton are the two guys who are left behind patting each other on the back "don't give up" etc. Psychology 101.
First half of the 2009 season.

Websta wrote:I agree with JimClarkFan - that's at least what I would do if I were Alonso. God, I wish I was Alonso.

Hamilton drove a crap car in 2009, but I wouldn't say it was worse than the STR2/3.
lol

Pierce89

I love how Alonso and Hamilton always give each other credit, and then use silence to imply the rest are shite.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Lycoming
Lycoming

Its like those years with Torro Rosso never happened....

and arguably up until hungary, the mp4-24 was as bad or worse than the Torro Rosso cars... not counting retirements and a disqualification, the car finished, on average, a bit worse than P10.

ringo

Pierce89 wrote:I love how Alonso and Hamilton always give each other credit, and then use silence to imply the rest are shite.
Hahaha.

I think they know. These drivers are the best judges of each other's abilities, especially when they follow behind each other on track.
As a fan of both drivers, more so Hamilton, Lewis does have a few patches in his skill set compared to Alonso. However his talent and adaptability somewhat compensates.
As for Vettel, we can see how he manages Webber over the season and also how he conducts himself when things go wrong.
His qualifying mindset is definitely the best on the grid. Maybe not qualifying speed, as i'm not convinced he's the fastest guy out there, but his mental approach is definitely superior to Hamilton's and Alonso's.
For Sure!!

bettonracing
bettonracing

Maybe it's just me but I feel people give the Torro Rosso years more credit than they deserve.

Outside of the win @ Monza 2008, & passing Hamilton (almost depriving him of a championship) in Brazil the same year, both rain races..., I can't say I saw (remember?) any brilliant drives out of Vettel that year. I mention the rain because while a significant amount of luck is necessary, he does stand out for doing GREAT in two rain races that year with a (IMO) crap car.

At the same time, I've lost no respect for Vettel for taking a fast car and squeezing every mph of speed out of it in damn near every session (2011), particularly when requested (e.g. pull out of the DRS zone).

Regards,
Kurt

beelsebob
beelsebob

jdlive wrote:When exactly has Hamilton driven a ----car? He's always had at least the 2nd best car. The only one allowed to use the ----car argument is Alonso himself because he actually proved it in --- cars. His remarks about Hamilton are the two guys who are left behind patting each other on the back "don't give up" etc. Psychology 101.

PlatinumZealot

bettonracing wrote:Maybe it's just me but I feel people give the Torro Rosso years more credit than they deserve.

Outside of the win @ Monza 2008, & passing Hamilton (almost depriving him of a championship) in Brazil the same year, both rain races..., I can't say I saw (remember?) any brilliant drives out of Vettel that year. I mention the rain because while a significant amount of luck is necessary, he does stand out for doing GREAT in two rain races that year with a (IMO) crap car.

At the same time, I've lost no respect for Vettel for taking a fast car and squeezing every mph of speed out of it in damn near every session (2011), particularly when requested (e.g. pull out of the DRS zone).

Regards,
Kurt
Even if we consider the Toro Rosso.. He still hasn't shown much to say he is in the same level as Alonso. 2010 and 2011 was just a case of him being better to Handle the blown diffusers than Webber Perhaps? It seems Webber is better managing the car without it. Faster in qualifying two times in a row. If Webber beats him again in China I will agree even more with Alonso.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

myurr
myurr

Vettel wasn't originally that spectacular with the blown diffuser. If you remember the first few races on 2010 Webber was matching him and beating him - his driving style of taking a late apex and getting back on the throttle was helping to get the most from the EBD. But then Red Bull brought in the off throttle blowing and the car moved towards suiting Vettel's driving style by taking away the natural benefit that Webber had and making Vettel's style the one that got the most from the car. I'm sure there are additional subtleties but that's my understanding.

Also the 2008 Torro Rosso was one of the best cars in the wet, so the fact Vettel put in a couple of good performances in it should be no surprise. In Italy he also benefitted from his likely challengers being stuck at the back of the field. Hamilton was actually faster for much of the race, and had the rain come down toward the end as it was predicted to do and forced everyone to make another pit stop then it was likely Hamilton would have been able to challenge Vettel for the win. Admittedly he would have benefitted from the free pitstop but then he had battled his way through the entire field to that point. But the rain didn't come and Vettel got his chance to shine.

Nando
Nando

Hamilton lapped something like 2 seconds quicker that day, while in traffic as well.

It was pretty immense seeing him just catch people like he was in the dry.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."