Hamilton vs Button Challenges

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nando

Hamilton vs Button - Blind lap

Really cool video :)

They are simulating a lap in their head. Holding the wheel and shifting etc.
See who gets closest to their FP1 time :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StqJ40ro ... AAAAAAAACA[/youtube]
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

marcush.

Re: Hamilton vs Button - Blind lap

astonishing how big the difference is...i remember something similar with Senna (?)years ago and he was a tenth away from his actual time..

Maelstrom

marcush. wrote:astonishing how big the difference is...i remember something similar with Senna (?)years ago and he was a tenth away from his actual time..
Yeah. But I doubt there is a single driver on the grid today who has half of the talent and instincts of Senna. There is a reason he's called the greatest. :)

I wonder if there is a way to compare this to their actual laps with onboard cameras to see how accurate they are.

Ral
Ral

Yeah, like they did with Rosberg having him draw the lap. It'd be cool to have the "track" drawn out following the movement in the wheels. Technically far from impossible with gyroscopes.

Button just kinda got a straight in there that Hamilton didn't. I'm sure that's where he lost all that time.

raymondu999

I remember seeing this video some time back. I was quite surprised really. You'd expect Button's smoother more consistent driving lines would mean he has a better rhythm from which he can remember the lap better
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

copperkipper1

Interesting,

Lewis middle finger to shift.
Jenson index finger.

raymondu999

Lewis hits it a bit harder too. But I think it's just preference. I don't think it's something that will affect performance in any way
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

raymondu999 wrote:Lewis hits it a bit harder too. But I think it's just preference. I don't think it's something that will affect performance in any way
When driving my car I used to use my index finger as well, but subconsciously I've since changed to using my middle finger. I think it's because you retain a more normal grip on the wheel rather than feeling like you're letting go a little bit to flip the paddle. But it's definitely a preference thing rather than something that makes any kind of difference.

raymondu999

Possible. When I'm driving with paddles (not very often! I usually leave it in D for the road) I default to my middle finger - but it was just an instinctive thing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

From watching the two I ´m surprised by the really slow movements on the wheel by both ..
and it´s very obvious that Hamilton is much more at easy with the controls at least that´s how it comes across for me .

I always thought visualizing the lap is a natural for any top driver and they´d do it subconciously at least before doing the qualy shot.
But this video makes me think again.

myurr

marcush. wrote:From watching the two I ´m surprised by the really slow movements on the wheel by both ..
and it´s very obvious that Hamilton is much more at easy with the controls at least that´s how it comes across for me .

I always thought visualizing the lap is a natural for any top driver and they´d do it subconciously at least before doing the qualy shot.
But this video makes me think again.
I guess some visualise the lap, others probably focus on specific parts of the track or areas they need to improve, some will just shut the world out, etc. Each to their own and whilst it can be interesting to see how they each approach the race I don't think it'll be a differentiator where if they all adopted X's style then they'd be quicker.

Lycoming

Visualizing the lap is a bit different from knowing exactly every minute movement of the wheel. Its more about going over braking points, what gear you need to be in for which corner, what line to take, how much kerb to use, etc.

The track is constantly changing. You know what you need to do, then move the wheel to make the car do it. Not the other way around.

bhall

I think anyone who spends any amount of time even playing a video game could do this. It's not the recall of a track that separates F1 drivers from the rest of us; it's the clinically precise, lightning quick and deadly consistent reactions they display in real-world conditions around the track.

EDIT: If it hadn't inexplicably taken me ten minutes to write those two sentences, this sentiment would not seem like an oddly absent-minded agreement of the one before it.

Maelstrom

bhallg2k wrote:I think anyone who spends any amount of time even playing a video game could do this. It's not the recall of a track that separates F1 drivers from the rest of us; it's the clinically precise, lightning quick and deadly consistent reactions they display in real-world conditions around the track.

EDIT: If it hadn't inexplicably taken me ten minutes to write those two sentences, this sentiment would not seem like an oddly absent-minded agreement of the one before it.
It seems to me that on this forum you have to be quick or somebody else alreadys posts what you meant to. :mrgreen:

PlatinumZealot

Isn't this two years old? haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏