Straight line speed

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FakeAlonso

Straight line speed

AMuS report that Ferrari straight line speed has improved.

"The top speed of the Ferrari showed improved slightly. While were measured against Romain Grosjean at the finish line 317.8 km / h, the Ferrari driver managed to do 315.8 km."

We don't now if traction is improved and have to wait for Barcelona. No slow corners in Mugello.

amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

FakeAlonso wrote:AMuS report that Ferrari straight line speed has improved.

"The top speed of the Ferrari showed improved slightly. While were measured against Romain Grosjean at the finish line 317.8 km / h, the Ferrari driver managed to do 315.8 km."

We don't now if traction is improved and have to wait for Barcelona. No slow corners in Mugello.
this is good news...lotus have always one of the highest top speeds

Nando
Nando

True, here´s highest speed trap figure in Q vs fastest Renault driver.

AUS

MAL

CHI

BAH
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

alogoc
alogoc

it is not the problem of WHAT top speed is achieved but on what PART on straight line is achieved!

i think Lotus much sooner!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

amouzouris

alogoc wrote:it is not the problem of WHAT top speed is achieved but on what PART on straight line is achieved!

well...top speed should always be achieved on the end of the straight because if u r hitting the limiter in the middle of the straight this means that you could gear the car for a higher top speed which would be faster...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

amouzouris wrote:
alogoc wrote:it is not the problem of WHAT top speed is achieved but on what PART on straight line is achieved!

well...top speed should always be achieved on the end of the straight because if u r hitting the limiter in the middle of the straight this means that you could gear the car for a higher top speed which would be faster...
That's not always the case. If you gear to reach top speed earlier you can be at a higher speed for most of the straight which would outweigh the extra few KPH for the final part.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

blokkie
blokkie

Owen.C93 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:

That's not always the case. If you gear to reach top speed earlier you can be at a higher speed for most of the straight which would outweigh the extra few KPH for the final part.
+1

I pretty much think this logic wins over amouzouris's logic .

Just my 5 cents

nemoqueverto
nemoqueverto

Owen.C93 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:

Well for me that doesn't work. When you hit the limiter in the middle of the strait - you are lost. You can reach top speed faster but then you will stop accelerating. And the car behind which has constant raise of speed will catch you and pass... You have to balance the top speed with acceleration rate otherwise you will have not much speed to spare for the pass or to escape from cars behind. Tough job in modern F1 with DRS and KERS.
E=mc²

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

nemoqueverto wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
amouzouris wrote: well...top speed should always be achieved on the end of the straight because if u r hitting the limiter in the middle of the straight this means that you could gear the car for a higher top speed which would be faster...
Well for me that doesn't work. When you hit the limiter in the middle of the strait - you are lost. You can reach top speed faster but then you will stop accelerating. And the car behind which has constant raise of speed will catch you and pass... You have to balance the top speed with acceleration rate otherwise you will have not much speed to spare for the pass or to escape from cars behind. Tough job in modern F1 with DRS and KERS.
I didn't say halfway.

Nando
Nando

amouzouris wrote:well...top speed should always be achieved on the end of the straight because if u r hitting the limiter in the middle of the straight this means that you could gear the car for a higher top speed which would be faster...
Partly true, the longest straight is a bit of a grey zone in terms of how you go about your business but your logic is true for every other straight on the track.

It´s impossible to get every straight right but the goal is to set the gearing so that you use all of the gear right before you hit the brakes.
Hit the limiter to early and you have to shift up or stay on the limiter, both will results in time losses.

Isn´t the gearing sort of "fixed" nowadays? Where you can only have a few sets of gearing for all of the tracks?
Doesn´t make life easy for the guy choosing that. And as someone mentioned, DRS and KERS in the picture.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

nemoqueverto
nemoqueverto

Owen.C93 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:

But you claimed "for most of". It can be at least half + something...
E=mc²

Postmoe

For me it's 2/3 of quick acceleration 1 last third (or less) of stagnant near the limit top speed.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

nemoqueverto wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:[
But you claimed "for most of". It can be at least half + something...
It could also be for 95% of it which will means a car will be faster and keep pulling a gap all the way until the final 5% of the straight at which point the other car will still be going slower and losing time.

Spankyham

At Monza last year didn't Seb use a gearing that had him hitting the limit relatively early. What he gained though was the ability to get away from corners faster. Others couldn't use their higher top speeds to reel him in quickly enough.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

zyphro
zyphro

Spankyham wrote:At Monza last year didn't Seb use a gearing that had him hitting the limit relatively early. What he gained though was the ability to get away from corners faster. Others couldn't use their higher top speeds to reel him in quickly enough.
He had massive advantage thru EBD, so the trade-off was feasible.