Paint quality and processes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
alogoc
alogoc

http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12esp547.jpg

very poor paint job on engine cover/shark fin!
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 21 May 2012, 08:15, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: split from F2012 thread, and added pic that was referenced to in said thread.
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

alogoc wrote:very poor paint job on engine cover/shark fin!
No it's not mate. You see what looks like orange peel due to the reflection & the material. It is top notch paint job.

Nando
Nando

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:No it's not mate. You see what looks like orange peel due to the reflection & the material. It is top notch paint job.
Pretty sure that is orange peel though. Tells me they were not painted by a person but rather a robot.

Nothing wrong with Orange peel, almost every big manufacturer has orange peel due to a new technique of painting from my understanding. Not sure if it has a benefit though although one would assume so.

It´s also not just on the wing bodywork but the rest of the engine cover as well.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

bhall
bhall

It likely means there's too much paint.

marcush.
marcush.

when discussing the finer technical points of their paint job :why not cover the car in film instead of actually painting the thing? With ´that approach at least you get a nice surface finish and you have a defined thickness to it..
I´d imagine mclarens chrome looks is an applied film isn´t it?

bhall
bhall

Nah, it's paint. They made a big deal about how much development was put into the paint when the livery was introduced in 2006. That year's results indicate that perhaps too much time was spent on the car's appearance.

myurr
myurr

It's paint, but the underlying carbon fibre surface has that texture. You can see it on all the cars in various places.

Agerasia
Agerasia

Orange peel would be beneficial in some places, it would keep air attatched :)
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

PhillipM
PhillipM

Nando wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:No it's not mate. You see what looks like orange peel due to the reflection & the material. It is top notch paint job.
Pretty sure that is orange peel though. Tells me they were not painted by a person but rather a robot.

Nothing wrong with Orange peel, almost every big manufacturer has orange peel due to a new technique of painting from my understanding. Not sure if it has a benefit though although one would assume so.

It´s also not just on the wing bodywork but the rest of the engine cover as well.
it's the texture of the carbon fibre underneath, not orange peel. They're not going to use bodyfiller just to get the paint spot on :lol:

elFranZ

Nando wrote: Pretty sure that is orange peel though. Tells me they were not painted by a person but rather a robot.
This is something not to say when talking about Ferrari :) No robots there. The orange dominance could simply come from camera processing. It's not the first time I see similar shots here, but the real thing is always Red.

Hail22 wrote:Oh for the love of pete!

Can we stop talking about technical aspects of paint?

and get back to the substance of the technical/mechanical aspects for the F2012?
Although it's not a vital part of modern F1, you could be amazed by the amount of R&D for those paints.
Hail22 wrote: I'm going with the idea of revised/changed side pods for Gilles Villeneuve (possibly a chassis update?).

New turning veins, RW, FW and possibly adaptations of the Rear diffuser (small tweaks with under mounter veins).
Possibly, I'm going with... Can't see any technical/mechanical aspect here.

gridwalker
gridwalker

marcush. wrote:I´d imagine mclarens chrome looks is an applied film isn´t it?
You'd be surprised : it is a paint developed specially by AkzoNobel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMvnK1olcE[/youtube]
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Websta

Re: Paint quality and processes

The mechanics must have loved that photoshoot.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Websta wrote:The mechanics must have loved that photoshoot.
I wonder if lewis had a helmet specially made for that shoot alone, so he didn't have to deal with cleaning the paint off after.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

This finish is by design. Too uniform over the whole surface to be a mistake. No team painter lets a mistake that bad leave the booth. Possibly they have a primer that creates the finish.

Brian

marcush.
marcush.

cool video that .. gridwalker ,a very nice find.
and sure sikkens can be proud of being a supplier to Mclaren -sur it extends also to Mclaren cars ..correct?

so no film there ,amazing.