F1 v6 swap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AlpineF1

F1 v6 swap

hey this is my first post so i hope i dont look to stupid...

but when f1 makes the swap to V6 turbo will it sound more like the GP2 cars or the older formula 1 cars also will they like in 2009 completely redesign the F1 cars :?: im 14 by the way so dumb it down a little? haha thank you :)
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Websta

Re: F1 v6 swap

I'm no expert, but I believe they will sound like higher-pitched IndyCars (IndyCar engines are limited to 10300 revs and the F1 V6 turbos will rev to 15000). IndyCar engines are V8s though so the sound will not be entirely comparable. GP2 engines only rev to around 10000 rpm so the new F1 engines will certainly be higher pitched than those as well.

AlpineF1

thanks!! it feels like im the only person who's concerned what they will sound like..im sure im not but i think like the v10 era its going to be a shame to wave goodbye to the V8's the sound for me is one of the most important things an f1 car without a good sound is like a lion that sounds like Keith Lemon :lol: but i dont think the sound difference will be too great

thanks for your help :D
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Websta

I am really going to miss the V8 sound, but nothing like I miss the V10s.
an f1 car without a good sound is like a lion that sounds like Keith Lemon
:lol: :lol:

AlpineF1

theres something about the V10 its sound and unreliability come to mind the V8 will be missed both engines where very likeable
if you catch my drift :D
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

thearmofbarlow

You must not get out much if you think you're the only one worried about noise. I'm at the point where I'm pretty sure I'm the only one NOT concerned with how a car's engine sounds through my TV.

Absolutelee

I'm not concerned, but I do only have one chance to see the V8s at the first NJ GP. Hopefully I can hear it from across the river because there's no chance I can afford a ticket lol

AlpineF1

thearmofbarlow wrote:You must not get out much if you think you're the only one worried about noise. I'm at the point where I'm pretty sure I'm the only one NOT concerned with how a car's engine sounds through my TV.

i do get out its just the problem is people my age only talk about football :x and i know its all about the racing but i dont know the as i said earlier whats a formula 1 car without its sound?...
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Red Schneider

Lower pitch is the least of my worries. I thought the V10's sounded very good (like an angry bee), but the V8's are unremarkable.

Just to show what a throaty monster can sound like, in case you haven't seen this before, listen from 0:47 to 1:08:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89J3_p34qN0[/youtube]

This is the greatest sound in the history of the world, bar none. When that flat-twelve gets to the top it sounds absolutely window-licking mad. No need for 20 000 revs. This is indescribably good.

It's a shame that car never won a championship. If I could only drive one F1 car it would be that one. It's a pretty sexy beast to boot.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah, but with twelve cylinders, 10,000rpm V12 is going to sound like a V8 at 15,000rpm.
A V6 at 15,000 is going to sound like a V8 at 11200rpm.. not very nice by F1 standards.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

thearmofbarlow

AlpineF1 wrote:
thearmofbarlow wrote:You must not get out much if you think you're the only one worried about noise. I'm at the point where I'm pretty sure I'm the only one NOT concerned with how a car's engine sounds through my TV.

i do get out its just the problem is people my age only talk about football :x and i know its all about the racing but i dont know the as i said earlier whats a formula 1 car without its sound?...
...a slightly quieter F1 car.

AlpineF1

thearmofbarlow wrote:
AlpineF1 wrote:

...a slightly quieter F1 car.
=D> your officially my worst enemy
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

astracrazy

if they sound like the gp2 cars but louder it will be a result - for some reason i like the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0G0BEr ... ure=relmfu

While we are on about the noise I do feel though its about time tv done the engines justice (if you seen f1 live you'll know what i mean). A lot of people have missed out on the v8 sounds because so much is missed threw the tv (pops/crackles) and the actual noise. Tv and live is night and day. If the v6's are toned down the tv needs to do it justice, else it's going to sound crap on tv.

i mean the sound of the blown exhaust on tv and live sounded different. I couldn't quiet see what the fuss was about until i see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGgvHfl ... ure=relmfu

AlpineF1

astracrazy wrote:if they sound like the gp2 cars but louder it will be a result - for some reason i like the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0G0BEr ... ure=relmfu

While we are on about the noise I do feel though its about time tv done the engines justice (if you seen f1 live you'll know what i mean). A lot of people have missed out on the v8 sounds because so much is missed threw the tv (pops/crackles) and the actual noise. Tv and live is night and day. If the v6's are toned down the tv needs to do it justice, else it's going to sound crap on tv.

i mean the sound of the blown exhaust on tv and live sounded different. I couldn't quiet see what the fuss was about until i see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGgvHfl ... ure=relmfu
most sensible thing i've heard on the subject and ! thats weird i watched that same video not 3 hours ago :wtf: both of them
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Hail22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBuTMCp ... F2DE0530E4[/youtube]

As much as I agree we should have a smaller carbon footprint in the 21st Century...the sound of the V10...is just...an Engine Orchestra!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve