F1 v6 swap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: F1 v6 swap

Nothing sound like a R-18 TDI V6 Diesel

sknguy
sknguy

Hail22 wrote: ...the sound of the V10...is just...an Engine Orchestra!
Wasn't it Newey who once said the V10 "scares the hell out of me" and made the ground vibirate?

jdlive
jdlive

AlpineF1 wrote:thanks!! it feels like im the only person who's concerned what they will sound like..im sure im not but i think like the v10 era its going to be a shame to wave goodbye to the V8's the sound for me is one of the most important things an f1 car without a good sound is like a lion that sounds like Keith Lemon :lol: but i dont think the sound difference will be too great

thanks for your help :D
You're definitely not the only one, their sound was the most spectacular thing about it, I hope they don't further kill the sport too much by making this switch.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

jdlive wrote:
AlpineF1 wrote:thanks!! it feels like im the only person who's concerned what they will sound like..im sure im not but i think like the v10 era its going to be a shame to wave goodbye to the V8's the sound for me is one of the most important things an f1 car without a good sound is like a lion that sounds like Keith Lemon :lol: but i dont think the sound difference will be too great

You're definitely not the only one, their sound was the most spectacular thing about it, I hope they don't further kill the sport too much by making this switch.
i dont get why they change engines F1 is fine with V8's and was fine with V10's i know all this crap about global warming but seriously they are killing the sport!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

jdlive
jdlive

Apparently apart from green motives, it's also to bring F1 closer to the customer car market. Either way, it's all bullshit.

As if anyone of their aimed at audience cares about F1 or what they are motorized with, while at the same time they are --- those who do really care. They should always make the cars as fast and as loud as possible.

With the upwards trend Formula Renault 3.5 is going through, let's hope they actually outperform F1 some time soon, that will get the message across :D
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Raptor22
Raptor22

you miss the point completely. The OEM's want cheaper engines. THe OEM's want green technologies because THEY have to do the work to get people to buy their cars. Why do think some companies prefer to go to LeMans rather than F1. Why do you think Ferrari is introducing a hybrid sportscar? BEcause enthusiasts want to hear a V12? If they wanted to they'd buy an older Ferrari and then the insurance cost keeps them in the garage for most of the year.

I think F1 fans are deluding themselves as to what "people out there" really want.

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Raptor22 wrote:you miss the point completely. The OEM's want cheaper engines. THe OEM's want green technologies because THEY have to do the work to get people to buy their cars. Why do think some companies prefer to go to LeMans rather than F1. Why do you think Ferrari is introducing a hybrid sportscar? BEcause enthusiasts want to hear a V12? If they wanted to they'd buy an older Ferrari and then the insurance cost keeps them in the garage for most of the year.

I think F1 fans are deluding themselves as to what "people out there" really want.
your speaking as if your not a fan..... and people out there shouldnt have a say in what goes on F1 is our sport not theirs :x
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Speedster
Speedster

Raptor22 wrote:you miss the point completely. The OEM's want cheaper engines. THe OEM's want green technologies because THEY have to do the work to get people to buy their cars. Why do think some companies prefer to go to LeMans rather than F1. Why do you think Ferrari is introducing a hybrid sportscar? BEcause enthusiasts want to hear a V12? If they wanted to they'd buy an older Ferrari and then the insurance cost keeps them in the garage for most of the year.

To be honest I think car manufacturers are rather going to Le Mans because it is more relevant for them, not necessarily only because of engine technology. Di Montezemolo complained at the end of last season that he didn't like the current direction of F1, with all focus on aerodynamics. He compared it with space technology, brilliantly interesting perhaps, but not that relevant for motor racing and motor development in the end.

In my view, it is bordering on stupidity to have an engine freeze (apart from reliability) from 2007 to 2013, in what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsports. The whole concept of motorsport is based on having an on-board energy generator, whatever it may be, resulting in automatic propulsion. To just freeze that part of motorracing and focus on some carbon front and rear wing pieces instead feels very unnatural for me.

I love the fact that there will be a stir-up in the engine department in 2014. I think Formula 1 needs it. But at the same time I'm very afraid that it will just be temporary excitement, after the initial development I'm fearing another de facto or de jure engine freeze...

And most people "on the street" don't care about the development of Formula 1 either way. In Le Mans the fraction will most likely be higher, but it will still be a small fraction of the audience that is (slightly) interested in the technology behind the racers and the racing cars. Just look at the bigger Formula 1 forums on the world wide web, and usually you'll find the more fanatic fans there (as casual viewers don't bother talking about racing on an internet forum). 90% of the topics and members are only discussing the merits of drivers, and discussing who is better. Interestingly, most of the time the guy with the best car is blamed for not being good enough to win without the best car, as if it is a crime to have a good car. That tells enough about where the interest is of the fan. I think the teams know it and that is also one of the reasons why it is unnecessary to have such a high cost of development. Not because it is not sustainable, because I think it is (certainly at the current level), but because it doesn't matter, so by cutting cost they are increasing margin.

Hail22

sknguy wrote:
Hail22 wrote: ...the sound of the V10...is just...an Engine Orchestra!
Wasn't it Newey who once said the V10 "scares the hell out of me" and made the ground vibirate?
That is very true haha, but its fantastic!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

AlpineF1 wrote:
jdlive wrote:

i dont get why they change engines F1 is fine with V8's and was fine with V10's i know all this crap about global warming but seriously they are killing the sport!
The V8 engines are awful, it is by far the worst engine era in Formula 1.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Speedster wrote:

To be honest I think car manufacturers are rather going to Le Mans because it is more relevant for them, not necessarily only because of engine technology. Di Montezemolo complained at the end of last season that he didn't like the current direction of F1, with all focus on aerodynamics. He compared it with space technology, brilliantly interesting perhaps, but not that relevant for motor racing and motor development in the end.

In my view, it is bordering on stupidity to have an engine freeze (apart from reliability) from 2007 to 2013, in what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsports. The whole concept of motorsport is based on having an on-board energy generator, whatever it may be, resulting in automatic propulsion. To just freeze that part of motorracing and focus on some carbon front and rear wing pieces instead feels very unnatural for me.

I love the fact that there will be a stir-up in the engine department in 2014. I think Formula 1 needs it. But at the same time I'm very afraid that it will just be temporary excitement, after the initial development I'm fearing another de facto or de jure engine freeze...

And most people "on the street" don't care about the development of Formula 1 either way. In Le Mans the fraction will most likely be higher, but it will still be a small fraction of the audience that is (slightly) interested in the technology behind the racers and the racing cars. Just look at the bigger Formula 1 forums on the world wide web, and usually you'll find the more fanatic fans there (as casual viewers don't bother talking about racing on an internet forum). 90% of the topics and members are only discussing the merits of drivers, and discussing who is better. Interestingly, most of the time the guy with the best car is blamed for not being good enough to win without the best car, as if it is a crime to have a good car. That tells enough about where the interest is of the fan. I think the teams know it and that is also one of the reasons why it is unnecessary to have such a high cost of development. Not because it is not sustainable, because I think it is (certainly at the current level), but because it doesn't matter, so by cutting cost they are increasing margin.

Exactly! to the people who buy the cars or the soft drink's the car itself matters very little.
Example, I was recently asked to be involved in Formula Student ( I declined due to a lack of time) but I did try and pull some sponsorship together for my alma mater. They had approached the local arm of Red Bull who were shocked / surprised that someone approached them for motorsport sponsorship. You'd think it happens all the time....

OEM's use motorsport platform for advertising their brand, expertise and raising their image. They don't actually target motorsport fans directly. They're just interested in the print articles and the story that can be told behine the success. Motorsport fans are too fickle to be a real target market because you'd need to be winnin every weekend to win them over.

Alpine, I speak as if I'm not a fan because that is the reality check. I've been a F1 fan since 1980. I've raced karts since them and looked at the higher formulae but its just too expensive to really compete and I hate loosing. The mentality of do it right or don;t do it at all...
I've participated in Formula SAE now called Formula Student, worked on a DAKAR project and a F1 project in the engineering services sector. I've been around it a lot, not as much as those who work in the area every day, but more than the average fan. I've seen and been part of what drives sponsors to invest in F1 and what pulls them out of F1. Montezemolo's chirps are not unfounded or out of the spirit of F1 but actually very true to the need for the sustainability of F1.

Car's are a commodity and people don't buy into brands as much as they used too. to be successful in using motorsport as reason to believe a brand has to be very recognisable within that branch of motorsport. The current rules do not allow for that. It's great for F1 as a brand but not for the individual OEM's. Thats why Renault pulled out as manufacturer of chassis and remain as engine supplier. Much lower cost for the same bang. Hence Mercedes have stayed around for as long as they have. Havng their own chassis they saw as an opportunity under cost capped F1 only for the goal posts to shift. That shift has everything to do with teams not wanting close scrutiny of their books by auditors (wonder why) than the concept being unworkable.

I'm all for a much simpler more innovative F1. We just don't have that today. We have a contrived show thats good for tv ratings but if you watched F1 in the 80's and early 90's it was exciting racing under much simpler rules but perhaps more complicated in your face politics.
Le Mans offes a lot of that simplicity

jdlive
jdlive

I think you just missed the point but ok :lol:

There should be no relation whatsoever to any market outside of F1 itself. They should go forward on their own, regardless of other markets entirely. If a hybrid engine brings more speed, that is progress and thus I would see as positive.

This V6 however is going to be slower no? That's just retarded.

Harvey
Harvey

jdlive wrote:

I think you just missed the point but ok :lol:

There should be no relation whatsoever to any market outside of F1 itself. They should go forward on their own, regardless of other markets entirely. If a hybrid engine brings more speed, that is progress and thus I would see as positive.

This V6 however is going to be slower no? That's just retarded.

I think Raptor pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. Why on earth would companies sink money and effort into sponsoring a sport that doesn't represent, even in the smallest detail, what they're trying to sell to their real life customers? The public don't buy big N/A engined sports cars anymore. They want small capacity turbos. They are being told by a zillion marketing campaigns and magazine articles that small capacity turbos are more efficient for similar (if not more) power. Why would F1 want to disassociate itself from this, and therefore appear even less relevant in the public's eyes? This isn't a sport for hairy chested, Marlboro smoking playboys any more. It's a marketing machine for huge multinationals, with no space for rose tinted spectacles.

jdlive
jdlive

I fully understand why it happens, I just think it's a damn shame.

Let's hope it doesn't work out and the audience does indeed not give a flying --- about F1 or even cars in general, while at the mean time alienating themselves from current fans, ending with the death of F1, resulting in a new top series that is all about going as fast as possible with no outside influence whatsoever.

Nando
Nando

V12´s was the best sounding in my opinion.

V10´s is without a doubt a golden era of F1, my personal favorite is the BMW engine, the most hardcore piece of metal ever created.
But for me, even though i am a through and through BMW fan, there´s just nothing like the Ferrari V12.

Just back, relax, take a chill pill if you have one of those and just listen to the SOUND OF GOD.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1InrgZiv30[/youtube]

disclaimer: I´m not religious in any way.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."