F1 v6 swap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Re: F1 v6 swap

jdlive wrote:5 seconds =D> [-o<
in formula 1 thats like 50 seconds
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

matt21

Raptor22 wrote:1988 McLaren MP4/4 Honda, 1.5L (150L Fuel tank) 850bHp boost restricted engine = 0.5L /Km economy.
The figure of 850 hp in 1988 seems way to high for me.
My last information was this : viewtopic.php?p=353137#p35313

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

matt21 wrote:
Nando wrote:
Powershift wrote:The turbo cars of the 80's were the most powerful and efficient F1 cars of all time.
Could you elaborate?
They had about 900 hp with 195 l fuel allowed for the whole races in 1986 compared to around 750 hp with around 210 l fuel used for a race today.

This equals 4,3 hp/l in 85 to 3,6 hp/l today.
You've got to be really careful trying to make comparisons like this, making sure you are comparing like for like.
HP/l is power density, and there is no doubting turbos had massive specific power output.

In the turbo days they never ran full tilt for the race (much like today), they used to dial the boost up and down for fuel management. The old turbos were really quite crude, masses of extra fuel needed to be dumped in for charge cooling at max power.

You've also got to remember they were running very high density fuel/toluene mixes back in the day. So the fuel they had was of a higher specific gravity. Some blends were even thought to be more dense than water ie more than 1kg/l. The peak I have heard of is 1.3kg/l (but I have no source for that, and it does seem very high).

210 L of pump fuel @ 0.75 specific gravity = 157.5 kg fuel
195 of 100% toluene @ 0.86 sg = 166 kg fuel

The weight of the fuel is more important than the volume, it's why you'll find why commentators and teams tend to talk about kg of fuel rather than l.

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

Well..

Nearly 2 years on its interesting reading through this thread, i'm really not sure about the engines, on one hand i like them because they sound more mechanical with the turbo noise and the tyre squealing, but on the other they're just too damn boring in my opinion, hopefully they'll do something with the exhausts to make a more prominent sound!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Steven
Owner

Please don't revive an old thread when there's one already discussing a similar thing as it is happening.
The new engine sounds