Button holding up Hamilton

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
internetf1fan

Button holding up Hamilton

Wtf were McLaren thinking? It probably didn't change much but just goes to show how messed up mclaren is allowing their leading driver to be blocked by the slower teammate running a different strategy. You wouldn't see that in Ferrari.

ra106

Re: Button holding up Hamilton

I didn't see anything this race to suggest Button was slower in fact a lot of the time Jenson was matching or lapping quicker than Hamilton and to be honest at the start of the season before JBs set up problems Jenson was out racing Lewis so I think they are on equal terms. Jenson did let Lewis through and in fact McLaren told JB not to worry about Lewis But he couldn't just drive off the circuit, he was fighting other cars around him and couldn't lose time himself. What do you expect him to do? It would have been the same if it were the other way around unfortunately Lewis didn't have the pace today and even if Jenson did let Lewis through earlier some how it wouldn't have changed the result.

PlatinumZealot

He held up Lewis who was faster at the time and lo and behold he let through Grosjean without even defending a teeny bit.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 08 Jul 2012, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

ra106 wrote:I didn't see anything this race to suggest Button was slower in fact a lot of the time Jenson was matching or lapping quicker than Hamilton and to be honest at the start of the season before JBs set up problems Jenson was out racing Lewis so I think they are on equal terms. Jenson did let Lewis through and in fact McLaren told JB not to worry about Lewis But he couldn't just drive off the circuit, he was fighting other cars around him and couldn't lose time himself. What do you expect him to do? It would have been the same if it were the other way around unfortunately Lewis didn't have the pace today and even if Jenson did let Lewis through earlier some how it wouldn't have changed the result.
How exactly? :lol: You must have been watching a different race.
Jeson is out of the championship, why is he trying to compromise Hamilton his teammate who is faster and more consistent this year and actually has a chance to win the WDC? Ron Dennis are you watching this?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

stefan_

People have to make their mind. If they talked to Jenson and told him "Lewis is faster than you" ( :D ), then it would have been hell on earth with people screaming about team orders, probably with Eddie "You are not allowed to pass Damon" Jordan screaming the most about how disgusted he is. If he did fight a little bit with Lewis (useless, nothing to say about that, he was actually slower), that is not right also.

I liked the Lotus approach. Grosjean was closing on Kimi, until Kimi was like "Nope, not gonna happen" and set the fastest lap.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

internetf1fan

No one would have said anything since

1) team orders are allowed

2) hamilton is clearly the only hope of winning the wdc

3) hamilton was much faster

4) the two drivers were on different strategies.

beelsebob

Agreed, utter madness to not ask Button to let him through, and then act as rear gunner. If he had let him through, he could have chosen a position on track where he slotted back in in front of greasjean and held him up for a while.

Nando

n smikle wrote:He held up Lewis who was faster at the time and lo and behold he let through Grosjean without even defending a teeny bit.
That was because his exit was compromised out of Copse. You are a sitting duck basically.

But yes, i agree, Button should have let him past then held up Grosjean instead.
I was susprised not to hear the team actually.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

i70q7m7ghw

I think McLaren have bigger issues to be honest. Playing these kinds of games for the last of the points positions is not where they want to be.

This is really making a mountain out of a molehill. If Lewis had been fighting for victory, or a podium then it might have been an issue.

N12ck

Diesel wrote:I think McLaren have bigger issues to be honest. Playing these kinds of games for the last of the points positions is not where they want to be.

This is really making a mountain out of a molehill. If Lewis had been fighting for victory, or a podium then it might have been an issue.
but diesel at the moment, Mclaren need every point they can get, so I dont think it is a mountain out of a molehill, because Mclaren are struggling at the moment, and while they are struggling, they need every point for the constructors as they can get, they are 2 points behind lotus after that race, if Button had held up Grosjean then it could maybe have been only 1 point ahead.

not letting Hamilton through and not holding up Grosjean did not make any sense for the whole team :?
Budding F1 Engineer

MrBlacky

That is what McL is doing for years now. They don't use teamorder but they let their driver race each other.
I like it and they get my great respect for this. (Unlike RB did last year for example..)

Pup
Pup

flynfrog

Shhhhh pup Lewis lost and its not his fault

internetf1fan

MrBlacky wrote:That is what McL is doing for years now. They don't use teamorder but they let their driver race each other.
I like it and they get my great respect for this. (Unlike RB did last year for example..)
Hmm... I wonder what's important. Your respect, or a championship (like RBR last year for example). McLaren should realise that they are competiting in a multimillion business.

Look at 2008 where Hamilton was by default the #1 driver. He brought home the WDC even when everything seemed to be going against him.

Now we have McLaren --- up Hamilton's race at every opportunity. That's not how you run a racing team unfortunately. Look at Ferrari. Now that's how you run a raceing team.

Pup
Pup

internetf1fan wrote:McLaren should realise that they are competiting in a multimillion business.
You should write Martin about that.