LdG - Pirelli - Spa - Eye Level Cam

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RicME85

LdG - Pirelli - Spa - Eye Level Cam

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbPGQ3Bpug[/youtube]
SPA - FRANCORCHAMPS WET - SHORT VERSION

High Definition - Join in an installation lap around Spa in wet conditions with Lucas di Grassi - first time ever eye-level camera real driver point of view.

Quote:" I had to drive with only one eye open as the camera was blocking my other eye, quite tricky"

bhall
bhall

Re: LdG - Pirelli - Spa - Eye Level Cam

I'd vote for that again if I could.

I can't believe we almost lost that track to an every-other-year proposition. I would not complain at all about two visits to Spa every year, and I mean that.

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

If that's a real driver's eye view then why can't you see out of the rear view mirrors?

beelsebob
beelsebob

This video really highlights something lacking in F1 games... a view that follows what a driver's eye line would be. Sure, we get a camera in the right place in the cockpit, but it would be nice for games to include the option of a view that looks ahead on the road (fairly trivial to implement), and tilts silghtly over as the head rotates.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

beelsebob wrote:This video really highlights something lacking in F1 games... a view that follows what a driver's eye line would be. Sure, we get a camera in the right place in the cockpit, but it would be nice for games to include the option of a view that looks ahead on the road (fairly trivial to implement), and tilts silghtly over as the head rotates.
There are quite a few games who have this already (for years).

spinmastermic

Quote:" I had to drive with only one eye open as the camera was blocking my other eye, quite tricky"

If they could put cameras in the helmet, on both sides of the drivers eyes it would make some amazing 3D footage, and the driver could see no problem.

beelsebob
beelsebob

spinmastermic wrote:Quote:" I had to drive with only one eye open as the camera was blocking my other eye, quite tricky"

If they could put cameras in the helmet, on both sides of the drivers eyes it would make some amazing 3D footage, and the driver could see no problem.
It would destroy peripheral vision.

passat
passat

Cool cam. It is this which the driver see when he is driving.

krisfx
krisfx

They did this in barcelona also probably a year or so back :)

krisfx
krisfx

tommylommykins wrote:If that's a real driver's eye view then why can't you see out of the rear view mirrors?

Camera is on the front of his visor, the visor is quite a way out from your face so it will affect the view in the rearview mirrors :)

spinmastermic

beelsebob wrote:
spinmastermic wrote:Quote:" I had to drive with only one eye open as the camera was blocking my other eye, quite tricky"

It would destroy peripheral vision.
Not if the cameras are flush with the foam padding. Although the curve of the visor might distort the image.

The FOZ
The FOZ

Cool video.

Did anybody else notice the stickers were left on the tire treads when LdG left the garage? At the very least, a sloppy mistake - get a sticker lodged in front of a radiator or sucked into the intake, and you've got problems. Nevermind on the offchance if one got stuck across a driver's visor.

But if the production stickers were still on the tires, that suggests to me the tires were being run as-is, right out of the molds - release agent still on the surface, too. IF that were the case, and I'll say it unlikely, running their test car in the rain like that really makes me question the company's attention to detail and quality of testing methodologies.

Think about the veritable tire lottery we've had this season. How 'bout Schumacher's bad set of Pirelli's at Silverstone two weeks ago. The razor-thin operating window of the tires all season so far. The unpredictable performance drops, and (I haven't crunched the numbers, just going by memory) the larger than normal disparity between teammates at any given race this season.

If there's substance to all these, or even most of them, I'd see good reason to start scrutinizing the quality of the tires lot more closely. Hell, even some spot tests of rubber durometer using ND methods could even spotlight inconsistency.

Not trying to fuel a witch hunt here, just asking questions about some odd happenings being observed...

krisfx
krisfx

The FOZ wrote:Cool video.

Did anybody else notice the stickers were left on the tire treads when LdG left the garage? At the very least, a sloppy mistake - get a sticker lodged in front of a radiator or sucked into the intake, and you've got problems. Nevermind on the offchance if one got stuck across a driver's visor.
Tear off stickers will get caught in radiators loads of times during a grand prix weekend and they are the same size as a visor, some piddly barcode sticker won't do a right lot, especially if it's going to be cleaned from the radiator after the installation lap at low pace....

PlatinumZealot

RicME85 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbPGQ3Bpug[/youtube]
SPA - FRANCORCHAMPS WET - SHORT VERSION

High Definition - Join in an installation lap around Spa in wet conditions with Lucas di Grassi - first time ever eye-level camera real driver point of view.

Wow. Spa is really a roller coaster!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™