Exhaust regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
etsmc

Exhaust regulations

could someone clear something up for me please...
according to the regulations the exhaust exit must be within a set area which i get... but looking at most of the cars the exhaust exit does not look to be within 200mm of the car cantre line.. is it just my eye sight or am i missing something in the rules??
Also what size is the end of the exhaust pipe on most cars surely there not the full 75mm??

Cam

Re: exhaust regulations

I think all the teams have done a "RBR engine map". That is, they have gone outside the 'spirit' of what was intended by the FIA and designed exhausts that flow gas to the diffuser or there abouts.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

I think etsmc is talking more about the physical location and diameter of the exhaust piping.

I'm quite sure they would be in the regs - such physical requirements are tangible and black and white in the regs.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

Yeah, I know what he's asking (and I was being a bit facetious) and he's right by saying what he's saying - I think so anyways. When I read the regs, I certainly wouldn't have come to where RBR, Ferrari and McLaren are now - not without a lawyer anyway. The FIA wanted to remove the exhaust gasses from playing a role in downforce. I think quite clearly every team has found a way to extract as much gas as they can to that area for downforce.

FIA Statement:
The exhaust tailpipes are now strictly regulated in order to ensure that the aerodynamic effect exhaust gases have on the car is kept to an absolute minimum.
Q & A from Mr Whiting:
The size and position of exhaust exits is now specified. Why stipulate this area of the design?
Our objective is to prevent teams operating a blown diffuser, which under certain circumstances infringes Article 3.15 (moveable aerodynamic device). In combination with additional constraints on engine mapping, as described in technical directive number 36 and incorporated into the SECU code, it will limit designers' ability to exploit exhaust gases for aerodynamic effect. However teams will not unlearn the knowledge they have gained and it is quite likely this area of regulation may need to be revisited again in 2013?
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

etsmc

Re: Exhaust regulations

well i think i had confused myself on this one.. i had read it wrong i thought the exhaust had to be within 200mm of the centre line but its not its between 200mm and 500mm of the center line :roll:

better explanation here..
http://mobile.formula1.com/news/technical/2012/925

But still what is the sort of diameter or exhaust you would expect to see??

raymondu999

I thought the 75mm diameter was non-negotiable? And minimum too, no? To stop people narrowing the nozzle down to create a jet effect.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

etsmc

well reading the regs again it say

Code: Select all

5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no
greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐0° to the car centre line when viewed from above
the car and between -10° and +10° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from
the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane
normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm
of the tailpipe.
b) Be located below 600mm above the reference plane.
c) Be located between 0mm and 200mm from the car centre line.
d) Be located between the rear wheel centre line, and a point 1000mm in front of it.
so to me that says it could be smaller but must re round..
again i had confused my self a bit as i had drawn one up as 75mm radius not diameter and i though man that's a bit big..

i guess they would want to use the largest exhaust pipe legally allowed as it would cause the least restriction.

the other bit thats not clear is

Code: Select all

between -10° and +10° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from
the side of the car
so when viewed from the side of the car it must point up at the tail which i take as the end nearest the rear of the car must point up so whats the point of the -10 as that would make it point down??

Nando

"Our objective is to prevent teams operating a blown diffuser"
Yea right,

Want to really kill the exhaust thing? Mandate fixed positions for the exhausts like a Renault style type.
But they won´t because they want to keep this nonsense still going.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

I remember they had a proposition where the exhaust would exit behind the rear axle and behind the rear diffuser. Does anyone remember what happened to that proposition?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:I remember they had a proposition where the exhaust would exit behind the rear axle and behind the rear diffuser. Does anyone remember what happened to that proposition?
Various teams argued that it would involve making the exhaust pipes too long, and seriously harm the reliability and power output of certain engines.

Cam

raymondu999 wrote:I remember they had a proposition where the exhaust would exit behind the rear axle and behind the rear diffuser. Does anyone remember what happened to that proposition?
With that amount of really hot gas coming out the back - perhaps right in front of the trailing car at high speed - would that be a safety concern?
― Socrates

raymondu999

Cam wrote:
With that amount of really hot gas coming out the back - perhaps right in front of the trailing car at high speed - would that be a safety concern?
Happens today anyways
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

I wonder if it is actually a safety concern. One could argue that the fumes end up being face level, breathed in and that certainly would be worse for the drivers safety race in race out than any rare crash. If safety is such a huge concern, I wonder why this critical aspect has been overlooked?
― Socrates

MIKEY_!

its easily fixed, make the exhaust not count as bodywork (if they haven't already) then mandate a rear facing exit in the area above the sidepod where no bodywork is allowed.

LHamilton

They really should change this regulation. The cars doesnt look that good, because most of them have gone for a McLaren-style exhaustlayout which I dont really fancy.

Why cant they bring back the 2011 exhaust position? The whole idea behind changing it in the first place was because of off-throttle regulations.

Reasons for changing back;

1. Looks alot better, visually.
2. Looks and more relavent to roadcar, which is something F1 is trying to follow.
3. MIGHT be easier following another car in slow-speed corners and make an overtake more possible.