Exhaust regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
N12ck

Re: Exhaust regulations

I think exhaust regs should be free again, however, ban off throttle fully, as if you are going to have an exhaust, you may as well do something useful for speed as long as no extra emissions are made (e.g no off throttle blowing) to keep with f1's green plans :D
Budding F1 Engineer

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I remember they had a proposition where the exhaust would exit behind the rear axle and behind the rear diffuser. Does anyone remember what happened to that proposition?
Various teams argued that it would involve making the exhaust pipes too long, and seriously harm the reliability and power output of certain engines.
:roll: I'm not terribly brilliant when it comes to engines but I do know BS when I see it. If an extra two feet of pipe causes your engine to explode chances are it should have been built better to begin with.

beelsebob
beelsebob

thearmofbarlow wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I remember they had a proposition where the exhaust would exit behind the rear axle and behind the rear diffuser. Does anyone remember what happened to that proposition?
Various teams argued that it would involve making the exhaust pipes too long, and seriously harm the reliability and power output of certain engines.
:roll: I'm not terribly brilliant when it comes to engines but I do know BS when I see it. If an extra two feet of pipe causes your engine to explode chances are it should have been built better to begin with.
You're right, you're not great with engines – exhaust pipes have to be tuned so that an exact number of wavelengths of exhaust gas fit down them so that they don't a) massively drop the power output of the engine b) shake the car appart. They're also massively more optimal at a set number of waves in the pipe at any one time (which IIRC depends on the engine). This is far from BS.

Slife
Slife

Would any of the solutions that uses exhausts work with 2008 aero cars ? And if so, why was that avenue never explored before the 2009 seaeson ?

zyphro
zyphro

The entire formula should be re-formed, especially to get rid of the use of gizmo's such as push to pass (DRS+KERS).

N12ck

Slife wrote:Would any of the solutions that uses exhausts work with 2008 aero cars ? And if so, why was that avenue never explored before the 2009 seaeson ?
yes it would, but they were placed to be aerodynamically neutral, to allow for cleaner airflow in 2008, it was exploited before 2009 however due to no off throttle effects it was too unstable for the cars and it unbalanced them when the driver was off the throttle, Image of pre-2009 blown diffuser

Budding F1 Engineer