Could Pastor Maldonado be costing Williams money?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Re: Could Pastor Maldonado be costing Williams money?

The FOZ wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:With a bit of stern discussion (ideally with Maldonaldo sitting with Williams, himself), Maldonaldo will improve his racecraft...
Pastor may be quick, but he's consistently shown himself to be on the edge of disaster if all the variables aren't working out in his favor. You simply cannot talk someone smarter, and that's the problem with Pastor...he's quick at driving, but not at thinking.
At this point, I'm sure Williams is ready to do anything and everything to get Maldonaldo out of the garage during race days. You can't talk someone into being smarter, but you can let a race car driver know that he's mucking it up for the TEAM. It can be applied to Hamilton as well (due to the current twitter controversy) that they need to think about what their actions are doing to the entire team; folks who work down to their knuckles to get those brakes on correctly and carry their umbrellas when out doing interviews. A lot is riding on good performance.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Is Maldonado costing Williams money? I guess you have to look at how much money he brings in, and what his personal liability could be.

How much does he bring in? I don't have the exact figures, so I went to the Williams Formula One web site and looked up their partners. Right at the top of the list ( I must assume it's based on value) is PDVSA, and then Venezuela Tourism.
http://www.williamsf1.com/team/partners

So without a doubt, Maldonado is bring in a huge chunk of cash.

How much are they losing as a result of him? Currently the team is sitting 8th in the standings, and if you look at the worst case scenario for Maldonado's errors, 6th is the best you can consider. And that difference is only 4 million dollars, much less than what he attracts.

Williams is currently in a state of transition, expanding and diversifying their technical knowledge. Once they get that out of the way and are on a much better financial standing and have a reasonable cash flow, then they can once again think of going after something other than pay drivers. But right now, they need pay drivers. Maldonado is bringing in Venezuelan money, and Senna is bringing in Brazilian money. (PDVSA, Venezuela Tourism, Embratel, MRV, and OGX)

It's crazy, it's weird, but right now Maldonado is a financial asset for Williams.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

zyphro
zyphro

marcush. wrote: They should have hired Barrichello for reputation and motivation
And the constant winging? ;).

:P
Last edited by zyphro on 09 Sep 2012, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

zyphro
zyphro

turbof1

So he is costing them the following:
-sponsorship
-points in WCC
-of course the damage done to his car

I dearly hope they are getting paid well for him to drive in F1.

Does anyone know if a team needs to pay up at other teams for inflicting damage to their cars?
#AeroFrodo

xpensive
xpensive

If that infamous image of an invoice is true, suggesting that Hugo Chavez is paying 30 megapounds per season, I guess they should cut the man some slack?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Forza

timbo wrote:
beelsebob wrote:What's the difference in prize money at that point? Could Pastor have cost williams more than the 30 million smackers he brings in?
The best info I got is this: http://www.f1network.net/boards/read/s1 ... 10,9624398
So, apparently nowhere near the money he brings them.
And besides, you gotta find another driver who'd be in the same position in potential points.
That article is a bit outdated ;)

This one is from 2011 and it explains how the "prize" system works
The unique system in which the sport awards its prize money to the teams is a closely guarded secret, but research carried out by Autosport reveals that Ferrari are set to receive £7.3 million ($11.5m) more than the top performing team, and a massive £12.7m ($19.8m) more than runners-up McLaren.

Ferrari, which won just a single race this season compared to McLaren's six and Red Bull's 12, receives a bonus before the season has even already begun, thanks to its 'historical contribution' to the sport.

It's reported that Ferrari receives 2.5% of the total prize-fund before it's been divided up amongst the 12 teams, based on their finishing positions. That equates to £11m ($17.3m) of the total £443m ($691m) pot which is 50% of Formula 1's earnings, as stipulated in the Concorde Agreement.

That bonus is then topped up with a 'Category B' entitlement based on a teams historical success. Ferrari is estimated to receive another £10.2m ($16m), bringing their total to £21.3m ($33.3m) - even before their final finishing position in the WCC is known.

The remaining money is then split 50/50 into 'Category 1' and 'Category 2' payments. The top ten teams each receive an equal share of the category 1 fund, 10% each.

Finally, once Ferrari has taken its initial 2.5% and the category B and category 1 payments have been shared amongst the top teams, the remaining prize-fund stands at roughly £198m ($310m).

This final figure, or category 2 as it's known, is then apportioned to the teams based on their seasons finishing position. It works out at roughly 19% for placing first, 16% for second, 13% for third and so on with tenth taking 4%, whilst Virgin and HRT are left with nothing but the prior agreed £6.5m ($10m) new team payment.

Ferrari will walk away from the 2011 season with £67m ($104.7m) in prize money having received £25.8m ($40.3m) for placing third, adding to that their 2.5% bonus of £11m, category B payment of £10.2m and category 1 payment of £20m ($31m).

Red Bull will take home £59.7m ($93.1m), £7.3m less than Ferrari, whilst McLaren walks away with about £54.5m ($85m).

The way the money is divided may sound unfair, but it's believed that almost all the teams on the grid back Ferrari's 2.5% bonus and insist it is included in the next Concorde Agreement as the manufacturers presence on the grid brings with it credibility, and therefore boosts the prize fund more so than it takes in 'extra' payments.

Link

zyphro
zyphro

xpensive wrote:If that infamous image of an invoice is true, suggesting that Hugo Chavez is paying 30 megapounds per season, I guess they should cut the man some slack?
They also say, negative press is good press. Hmm...

jdlive
jdlive

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7ugK_r ... re=related[/youtube]

So dry :mrgreen:

"I've not finished with Perez" hahaha
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."