2001 Malaysian Grand Prix memories...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2001 Malaysian Grand Prix memories...

I remember those days. Most of the races were boring processions with the only changes of position happening during pitstops.

I'd much rather the current system where a driver can race the guy in front using KERS and DRS instead of sitting behind him for 20 laps waiting for him to pit.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

I see rain no hail....
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

zyphro
zyphro

Haha 5.50: nice shot of Pat Fry.

timbo
timbo

Just_a_fan wrote:I remember those days. Most of the races were boring processions with the only changes of position happening during pitstops.

I'd much rather the current system where a driver can race the guy in front using KERS and DRS instead of sitting behind him for 20 laps waiting for him to pit.
Agreed.
I also see no point in continuing the race if cars fail to stay on track.
The races were stopped due to rain before that, so it's not like it's only now that it happens.

Morteza

zyphro wrote:Haha 5.50: nice shot of Pat Fry.
Also Newey at the beginning of the video.

BTW, I have to say I started watching F1 from 2009 onwards. So no memories on my part, but a big thanks for sharing the video.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zyphro
zyphro

Oh yea just noticed: Fisichella parked into the incorrect slot :lol: and Schumi followed this 'stop' procedure in Hungary.

Shrieker

I remember watching this race as I do with almost every single one I watched. But this isn't the tv feed. I don't remember Villeneuve and Montoya spinning for example. But I do recall Villeneuve parking it on the grass under torrential rain. There's lots to miss from F1 of 2001.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

wesley123
wesley123

Memories these are, to remember this was only the second race I would have watched, I cant remember a damn thing from it.

And as on members saying races like these where boring;

The races might have been a bit dull, but they were pure, the were real races not artificially adjusted by KERS, DRS, the tires and other stuff. It was real racing and contact happened more often, as well as other DNF's.

Ferrari in the time was pretty much dominant, but yeah I didnt care about that, and neither did the teams, they'd accepted it and worked hard to close the gap, they didnt go and cry to the FIA with some bs legality story. Also things werent banned for some stupid reason one could think of, the regulations were much more open which allowed a diversity of cars and there was an actual gap between good teams and bad teams, and they werent looking on how to reduce that gap because else racing isnt fair.

Races might have been duller(to which I disagree), but it was pure and things could always happen.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

siskue2005

Just_a_fan wrote:I remember those days. Most of the races were boring processions with the only changes of position happening during pitstops.

:roll:

zyphro
zyphro

wesley123 wrote:Memories these are, to remember this was only the second race I would have watched, I cant remember a damn thing from it.

The races might have been a bit dull, but they were pure, the were real races not artificially adjusted by KERS, DRS, the tires and other stuff. It was real racing and contact happened more often, as well as other DNF's.

Ferrari in the time was pretty much dominant, but yeah I didnt care about that, and neither did the teams, they'd accepted it and worked hard to close the gap, they didnt go and cry to the FIA with some bs legality story. Also things werent banned for some stupid reason one could think of, the regulations were much more open which allowed a diversity of cars and there was an actual gap between good teams and bad teams, and they werent looking on how to reduce that gap because else racing isnt fair.

Races might have been duller(to which I disagree), but it was pure and things could always happen.
=D>

This was real 'sport', nowadays it's just a show to please the masses.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

wesley123 wrote:Memories these are, to remember this was only the second race I would have watched, I cant remember a damn thing from it.

Total rubbish. The races weren't "pure" at all. Refuelling was implemented to add some interest to the event. It was a contrived attempt to keep people interested in races that, almost without exception, were processions. You could spend 20 laps behind another car - a car that could be 2 seconds a lap slower than you and you couldn't overtake. It wasn't because the drivers werent any good either, it was because they couldn't get close enough to overtake.

Refuelling was a way to help drivers overtake. It was exactly the same as DRS except that it also carried the risk of seriously burning a dozen people when it went wrong - such as when Benetton cheated.

I can understand people harking back to the 1960s and saying the raqcing was pure then, but in 2001? Give me a break!

siskue2005

Just_a_fan wrote:

Total rubbish. The races weren't "pure" at all. Refuelling was implemented to add some interest to the event. It was a contrived attempt to keep people interested in races that, almost without exception, were processions. You could spend 20 laps behind another car - a car that could be 2 seconds a lap slower than you and you couldn't overtake. It wasn't because the drivers werent any good either, it was because they couldn't get close enough to overtake.

Refuelling was a way to help drivers overtake. It was exactly the same as DRS except that it also carried the risk of seriously burning a dozen people when it went wrong - such as when Benetton cheated.

I can understand people harking back to the 1960s and saying the raqcing was pure then, but in 2001? Give me a break!
So according to you this must be pure racing >>>KERS and DRS
Just_a_fan wrote: I'd much rather the current system where a driver can race the guy in front using KERS and DRS instead of sitting behind him for 20 laps waiting for him to pit.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

No, I made no claim that the current system is pure racing. But it is infintely more fun than the boring racing in 2001.

You want pure? Go back to Mansell/Piquet, Senna/Prost era for downforce racing. Want pure racing without downforce then go back to Jim Clarks days.

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:Ferrari in the time was pretty much dominant, but yeah I didnt care about that, and neither did the teams, they'd accepted it and worked hard to close the gap, they didnt go and cry to the FIA with some bs legality story.
Yeah, because Ferrari had an upper hand=) Beryllium anybody? :D

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

They had a tyre advantage, more importantly. Bridgestone produced tyres that were basically tailored to the Ferrari. They would produce circuit specific tyres too.

Minardi used to get the tyres that Ferrari didn't want. Occasionally they would produce a decent performance and Ferrari would have a look at their tyres to see why.

Oh, and the FIA was giving Ferrari a shed load of money at a time when you could spend what you liked and test as much as you wanted. In fact, in effect Minardi were paying Ferrari by the way the money went around.

Ah, the good days of the 1990s and early 2000s...