Does COTA try to do too much?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChipAyten
ChipAyten

Does COTA try to do too much?

Greetings everyone! I've been frequenting this forum for the few years I've been an F1 fan for information and I just now decided to sign up.

As an American (from NYC) I'm pretty excited for the upcoming USGP but I have my reservations. My skepticism is aimed primarily at to the circuit itself. It seems like the designers tried too hard. I feel they' wanted to make an instant classic. Trying to include aspects of many famous tracks, Istanbul's turn 8, Suzuka's S turns, Montreal's straight after the hairpin, Spa's elevation changes etc. What makes a great circuit is it's uniqueness. What's not unique is creating a frankenstein or jack of all trades circuit. Drivers and teams may grow to dislike this layout when they realize it asks the car to do a bit of everything.

Though unlike many of the new circuits you see today, it (COTA) in a weird way does feel unique when you consider the entire package. It's got a very "Texan" and NASCAR flavor to it. Big, open, wide unapologetic and brash. Perhaps this is more due to the local culture more than anything, or maybe it's just those two long wide straights.

Nando
Nando

Re: Does COTA try to do too much?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Despite taking so many elements from other tracks, when looking at it as a whole it´s very much it´s own identity.

I would not say it´s got any american flavor to it and i think that is what makes it soo good.
It looks like nothing else in America and i think that is why it will be such a hit.

Sure you have the Tilke designed Atlanta track but it´s not made for F1 cars.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

I was thinking the other day how these new tracks (Korea, India, USA) as the car to do everything, like you say. We talk about the European circuits as fast or slow or medium tracks, but these new ones have an entire sector long straight, then a tight twisty bit. It must be very frustrating, because if you set up the car for the tight bit, you are going to be really frustratingly limited on that 24 mile straight, or however long it is. But if you set up for the straight you are gonna be really sad for the tight bit. So I guess my short answer to your topic is yes.

Pup
Pup

I've always thought that the twisty bits are of more interest to other series, like Moto. The new tracks need to attract more than F1, even if F1 is the main event of the year. Didnt Schwantz say that he was the one who lobbied for a 'stadium section'?

skgoa
skgoa

Absolutelee wrote:I was thinking the other day how these new tracks (Korea, India, USA) as the car to do everything, like you say. We talk about the European circuits as fast or slow or medium tracks, but these new ones have an entire sector long straight, then a tight twisty bit. It must be very frustrating, because if you set up the car for the tight bit, you are going to be really frustratingly limited on that 24 mile straight, or however long it is. But if you set up for the straight you are gonna be really sad for the tight bit. So I guess my short answer to your topic is yes.
Yeah, the tracks that were planned instead of having grown over the decades all seem to lack a defining character.