Why No F1 online coverage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
browney

Why No F1 online coverage

I was wondering why Bernie's group haven't got an online coverage similar to what Dorna have done with MotoGP?

Many countries don't get full coverage (ie in Australia we don't get any the practice sessions other than for the Australian Grand Prix). Since all the footage is already being recorded with commentary, wouldn't a subscription based service be a massive extra money spinner for Bernie, without a huge cost to set up?

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that would shell out for F1 coverage online (especially if you also allowed it to be viewed on a mobile phone).

Absolutelee

Re: Why No F1 online coverage

If it were reasonable I would certainly do this since I don't have any payed TV

rssh

I always watch race online nowadays because the Star Sports sucks big time and they don't show Practice sessions and they have a break of 2.5 minutes every 7 minutes in the race :x

michika12

I think selected countries only, hmm I need to confirm my friends if they have something information about f1 online coverage.

kalinka

Because Mr.E is way too old to understand the importance of the internet. Also the TV coverage is scrap, regardless to the country. Now even the V8 supercar coverage is much more advanced and enjoyable, even so the money involved is very very far from F1. For example you have offical V8 supercar channel on youtube, with all the races on it, even the long 6 hour ones. On-screen graphics and info is nothing compared to much smaller-cheaper series. Can't imagine what F1 can loose if all the races go online -and free- after (let's say) a week or so. Of course the live online broadcast is needed too, it would be almost free extra money for them . It's a win-win situation for F1 IMHO.
I can't see though any big improvement as long as the current leadership stays - on top with Mr.E.

stefan_

I was thinking that they could do something about the online broadcasting of races when they signed with TATA. But on the other hand they could take away audience from PPV TV statios because people can choose not to pay for the TV broadcast and pay for the online streaming instead, as you can watch the race anywhere you are (with an Internet connection) as long as you pay for the online streaming.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Tim.Wright

I remember reading that they have backed themseves into a corner contractually with broadcasting rights. Its not possible at the moment because its not allowed. The TV broadcasters have all the rights.

I don't know when it will change, but I do agree its pretty poor management to have got themselves stuck in this situation. The F1 live timing app is also a joke. But at least its expensive...

Anyway, first world problems...

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

Websta

I would feel guilty about streaming if there was an alternative way for me to get practice coverage online. Actually, no I wouldn't

mzivtins

??? dont know what you mean, i watch 100% of f1 and gp2 and porsche cup all online, all official.

Just buy and Xbox 360, i use that for everything... Xbox had prometheus on HD before you could buy the blue ray in the stores here in the UK.

With the little black games console you have access to more than any broadcast tv can give you, give it a shot :)

browney

Not everyone lives in the UK.....

Richard

For clarity, I think some of the replies above are Sky and BBC viewers in the UK who can use online streaming on the Sky or BBC websites as part of their subscription.

Personally, I couldn't justify the cost of a full Sky Sports package just to watch a few races. However, I'd happily pay £10 per race for occasional races via pay per view online.

stewilkinson

Because the exclusivity is the main value in the TV viewing rights, thus making those contracts worth more to both F1 and the TV companies. If they tried to generate more revenue by offering an online subscription then they would get a lot less money for the TV contracts; not only due to the obvious reason that the viewing base of X country would be split between TV and internet, but also that if there's only one way to watch it then then the TV companies can give a good ballpark figure for the amount of viewers over the length of the contract and could therefore be able to rake in bigger advertising revenues themselves. This obviously excludes the UK, but it looks like in that case Bernie was able to make a tempting enough offer for Sky to throw their money at it without taking it from the BBC and seriously reducing exposure to F1 viewing in the UK as a whole.

I'm pretty sure if online coverage could make them more money overall then Bernie would have already taken the opportunity to sniff out the extra money, he isn't daft when it comes to things like that.

Jersey Tom

stewilkinson wrote:I'm pretty sure if online coverage could make them more money overall then Bernie would have already taken the opportunity to sniff out the extra money, he isn't daft when it comes to things like that.
I'd make the argument that it's probably difficult to come up with a hard business case for or against. I.e. it would be difficult to say how many people would pay for a yearly online subscription, versus a per-race "pay per view" type scenario, versus what they would lose through TV coverage or in-person attendance. I think the only way you'd establish those would be through substantial market research (which for all we know they may be doing leading up to the next broadcast contract renewal date) or by just doing it.

I really like online broadcast options though, for MLB and NFL here in the US anyway.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

FrukostScones

At first I'd like a stationary version of this live timing Pauer app for all the mobile devices. I would pay for it. A better free ware livetiming was recently shut down. Is this app thing available for my desktop pc? If not, why not?
Why should I use my mobile device when I watch the race at home? I#m not buying it!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

beelsebob

browney wrote:I was wondering why Bernie's group haven't got an online coverage similar to what Dorna have done with MotoGP?

Many countries don't get full coverage (ie in Australia we don't get any the practice sessions other than for the Australian Grand Prix). Since all the footage is already being recorded with commentary, wouldn't a subscription based service be a massive extra money spinner for Bernie, without a huge cost to set up?

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that would shell out for F1 coverage online (especially if you also allowed it to be viewed on a mobile phone).
They don't do it because they get far more money by selling exclusive rights to TV organisations. It's as simple as that.

It's the same reason HBO don't sell subscriptions to HBO Go to anyone and everyone – by doing so they would destroy their primary revenue stream, the exclusive deal.