Cosworth Put Up For Sale

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium

Cosworth Put Up For Sale

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103495

A sad day for such an iconic name in motorsport as a whole and indicitive of the present market in motorsport.

What will become of Cosworth?

FoxHound

Re: Cosworth Put Up For Sale

The latest acquisition for the VW empire?
JET set

Raptor22

well whoever buys it is probably going to have an interest in F1 but to what value? One more year to run with the present engines and then its clean sheet stuff. Unless Cosworth already has a 1.6V6T on the dyno

Petroltorque

Kim Spearman has stated that Cosworth has been working on their 1.6 VT for the past 18 months.
Its worth remembering that motorsport is only one facet of the business with contracts extending to aerospace and defence. IIRC they were owned by Vickers a Defence company and in all likelihood it's likely to be snapped up by another Defence company.
Last edited by Petroltorque on 17 Oct 2012, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

rich1701

They lost most of their key members when they last withdrew from F1. When they returned they were a shadow of their former selves.

Petroltorque

rich1701 wrote:They lost most of their key members when they last withdrew from F1. When they returned they were a shadow of their former selves.
The only top guy they lost was Alex Hitzinger who penned the initial V8 that the present units are derived from. Believe me there are some seriously clever boffins in Northampton.

Harvey

FoxHound wrote:The latest acquisition for the VW empire?
Weren't they previously owned by Audi...? :?:

SeijaKessen

Harvey wrote:
FoxHound wrote:The latest acquisition for the VW empire?
Weren't they previously owned by Audi...? :?:
Audi purchased Cosworth Engineering in 1998 and held onto them till 2004-5 before selling.

SeijaKessen

I also wonder if this may be an alternative way to try and get funding for the future?

Perhaps Cosworth thinks it would be better to try an attract a deep-pocketed buyer who can ensure their involvement in various areas, including Formula One continues.

Let's face it, for 2014, the real cost will likely be in ensuring the engines work with the recovery systems. As such, more funding certainly could make it easier to make a quality motor. In addition, it might help attract another customer.

Gatecrasher

I know this is an F1 site but I really hope Ford buys them out. Not necessarilly for F1, they could still supply engines as a sideline, but more to work with the SVT group to create some great roadcars that we can all drive. The Mercedes Cosworth and the Audi RS4/6 Cosworths were great cars but for me did not touch the Ford deviants :twisted:

Raptor22

the only issue with being bought out by a defence contractor in britain is that the market for those types of engines is relatively small. I could see a company like Lycoming perhaps being interested, but Cosworths High performance Engine division will have a better fit in one of the OEM's.

One of the other challenges of ocurse is that Ricardo has sucked a lot of expertise toward themselves and they work with most of the majors on engine development. Cosworth (with Coswrth Engineering) is very niche.

Raptor22

SeijaKessen wrote:I also wonder if this may be an alternative way to try and get funding for the future?

Perhaps Cosworth thinks it would be better to try an attract a deep-pocketed buyer who can ensure their involvement in various areas, including Formula One continues.

Let's face it, for 2014, the real cost will likely be in ensuring the engines work with the recovery systems. As such, more funding certainly could make it easier to make a quality motor. In addition, it might help attract another customer.

these buyout are always just a way of securing a company's future if business is looking down.

Nando

Rumors is Rolls Royce is interested in buying them. (airplane, not car)

http://www.autoblog.nl/rolls-royce-wil-cosworth-kopen
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Petroltorque

The business to business synergies of Cosworth are more suited to a company like GKN than Rolls Royce. VW stripped out a lot of technology assets prior to selling off the remains to Mahle. Much of the lost facilities GKN could now provide.
I'm left asking what on earth is going on in British engineering. The DTI have said the country needs at least 5000 new engineers a year to compete on the global market and we have people coming out of University with useless degrees? What the ....? Excuse the rant but when I see this present state of affairs it makes my blood boil.

TwinStage

Cosworth needs new owners, not only investors... the most relevant option will be McLaren or Ford, let's get rid of all this aerospace & defense diversification!!! This is not Cosworth! Cosworth is Formula 1, Racing and supercars. I hope that a serious company will buy them, inject money, develops F1 and cut some useless branch (UAV, 2 stroke...) far away from the Cosworth spirit. A lot of people will appreciate a major OEM like Ford, or McLaren if they really want to have their own engine department for their own cars and also for a future V6 after 2015... [-o<