McLaren dump Mercedes?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FoxHound

McLaren dump Mercedes?

Just read this in the Sun today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... Honda.html

Yes it is the Sun, so could be a bunch of cods-wallop. However, it is interesting that they "do not want to pay" for their engines.
A sign of financial constraints with the loss of Hamilton in mind?
JET set

astracrazy

Re: McLaren dump Mercedes?

well its no surprise that the relationship between the two is now slowly breaking down

i see it says from next season, i thought the agreement (for free engines) was a lot longer than that 2014-15?

i say its crap. I thought the engines were at a fixed rate of £5M any way? I might be wrong.

CMSMJ1

They do not exactly have many options do they - I would be amazed if this were true.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

WhiteBlue

astracrazy wrote: i thought the agreement (for free engines) was a lot longer than that 2014-15?
It was always clear that McLaren had to pay as soon as the equity was transferred back to the McLaren group which happened this year in January. So they are lucky that they did not have to pay 2012 already.

Honda would be great as an engine supplier if McLaren can convince them to come back into F1, but I'm very sceptical that it is doable in the short time frame until the 2014 season. So McLaren have to stick with Merc for a number of years anyway. I would say 2015 would be the earliest time if there is any substance to the Sun rumor.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

clipsy1H

CMSMJ1 wrote:They do not exactly have many options do they - I would be amazed if this were true.
Vodafone McLaren Cosworth - MP4-28 :lol: or Mr Slim will buy Fiat Group and gives McLaren free engine :wtf:

turbof1

It really depends on much experience Honda actually has with V6 1.5l engines. Has anybody perhaps has a clue if they run engines, in other race series, somewhat similar to the F1 2014 ones? If they do, they can build from that engine block.
#AeroFrodo

bucker

What about Renault? Is there any chance if this is true, that Renault will be their next supplier?

ESPImperium

I think theres been smoke for about Honda rejoining F1 for at least a year. There was a rumour in March/April about Honda and McLaren, and everything was denied. In the past month Lewis has gone to Mercedes, Honda has said that theres an interest, but i think this is all at play for a Honda deal in 2014. Who knows what a small team in Japan has came up with.

But ill not rule out a Honda return as early as next year. Something is telling me that there will be a Honda RA812E in the back of that McLaren MP4/28 next year, as the Honda RA808E has been outside the Homologation rules since 2008 now and could be lighter and more powerful than the overweight pig of an engine that left F1 in 2008.

I do think 2014 is at play here in the long term. Mobil1 was also seen in a Honda in the Williams/Honda years as well, so all fits too nicely!

astracrazy

I can't see Mclaren going with Renault. Renault are all over Red Bull, Mclaren would never get the same deal as them (spec or price). Mclaren wouldn't want to put themselves at a disadvantage before the car around the engine is even built. Its the same problem mclaren face with mercedes in 2014, merc arn't going to give them the same spec engine they don't need to.

Honda is there only option (or start there own program but i can't see that possible in time even for 2014) to keep themselves as the top consumer (in terms of team position)

Lorenzo_Bandini

Or Mclaren buy Cosworth and then they would have their engines... ?

rich1701

Yoshiharu Yamamoto, Honda CEO of R&D (oct 10th, 2012)

"It (f1) Is the very top of auto racing And that requires a large commitment. But it is true we do look up to those races And hope one day we can Take part again.

I do not personally feel we can just go straight back immediately. But there is potential for the rules to change to attract us. I follow the rules certainly, And if they present an opportunity then it would be nice to come back."

I doubt they will re animate the RA808E corpse for the sake of coming back a year or 2 early.

WhiteBlue

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Or Mclaren buy Cosworth and then they would have their engines... ?
The problem obviously is not getting engines but paying for them. In this context buying an engine maker makes no more sense than buying engines. McLaren have said time and again that they see an own engines as a useless expense of capital. Becoming the works team of another big and competent road car manufacturer makes a lot more sense. In that regard Honda fits the bill, but I still feel they will not come back fast enough for 2014. McLaren are already designing their 2014 chassis as do all top 5 teams. We have learned that bit today from Lotus.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

marcush.

Can Daimler afford to lose Mclaren as a customer?
It could put the whole business at risk including engine supply as this would put all the load on MGPs shoulders to produce wins and a fight for the championship..
I don´t think even Norby does believe this is possible so Mclaren is actually in a strong position..
Would Mclaren compromise their chances with a 1 year Cosworth deal? I think their electronics department is strong enough
to extract all that´s in there and KERS is nothing really new to them either.
With Perez on board I don´t think they have real financial issues

wunderkind

As much as I like to see the three-pointed star on the McLaren, I think the time has come for them to go their separate way. Neither will miss the other.

I don't know who can work with McLaren.......

astracrazy

honda is the only option where mclaren won't be put at a disadvantage because the other suppliers are supplying a direct competitor or they are a works team.

I can't see cosworth being an option