Abu Dhabi Young Driver Test 2012 - 6-8 Nov

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nando

Re: Abu Dhabi Young Driver Test 2012 - 6-8 Nov

kris wrote:
Nando wrote:
He has, however, ruled out joining Red Bull’s junior programme, which has produced the likes of Sebastian Vettel, Jaime Alguersuari, Sebastien Buemi, Daniel Ricciardo, Jean-Eric Vergne and others.

“I know their games,” Frijns is quoted as saying. “You cannot decide what you want to do, and if you don’t do what they want, you’re out.”

They treat you like a dog,” he insisted. “In my career I’ve always made my own choices and I want to continue to do that.

“I need people around me who I can trust, and so Red Bull is not for me, even though I have won more than Vettel did before he made his name in formula one.”
http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4348 ... ike_a_dog/

Crazy! How can he say that then visit RBR and drive their RB8 and be completely relaxed about it.
Robin Frijns is testing the Sauber.. Thats what it seems to say on the 1st page of this topic
But Frijns will also drive Red Bull’s championship-leading RB8 as Yas Marina, as his prize for winning the aforementioned Renault-powered Formula Renault 3.5 category.
Glad it turned out to be fake, that was way to crazy to be true really.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Mika1

Frijns behind RBR and McLaren with a 1.43,775.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Joie de vivre

Mercedes not testing?

raymondu999

Mercedes and Ferrari did theirs in Magny Cours in early September
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Forza

End of day 1
ESPN wrote:Kevin Magnussen set the fastest time of the opening day of the Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi.

Driving for McLaren in the morning session, Magnussen was the busiest driver as he completed 40 laps with a best time of 1:42.651. He edged out Antonio Felix da Costa by just 0.066s and before handing over the McLaren to Gary Paffett for the afternoon session.

Magnussen and da Costa's Red Bull were over three quarters of a second clear of the rest, as da Costa completed the most laps over the whole day with 79. Paffett set the third quickest time with his last lap having taken over the MP4-27 from Magnussen, ending with a best of 1:43.407.

Robin Frijns was fourth on a 1:43.775, and Sauber appeared to be testing a similar rear wing device to the Lotus solution seen at previous races as Frijns focused on familiarising himself with a Formula One car during 78 laps at the wheel.

Nicolas Prost was fifth quickest for Lotus with a 1:44.194 set late in the day as a number of short runs were carried out following a red flag caused by Luiz Razia with ten minutes remaining.

Razia was sixth for Toro Rosso in a 1:44.691, while Giedo van der Garde was slowest having spent the morning running aero tests, with a transition vortex rake on the left side of the car to look at airflow from the front wing. The aero tests continued in to the afternoon and van der Garde only improved in the closing stages to a 1:45.936.

raymondu999

Not very technical. But does anyone else notice that the eye resemblance is absolutely striking? :shock:

I felt the same way about Bruno - his eyes look a lot like Ayrton's
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kiril Varbanov

raymondu999 wrote:Not very technical. But does anyone else notice that the eye resemblance is absolutely striking?
First sight reaction of a colleague seeing the picture: "Is this Alain Prost? Wasn't he retired or driving Dacia or something?"

stefan_

Yes it resembles his father, I had the same thought, as Bruno resembles his uncle.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

F1 2012 Yas Marina testing: Day 2 - Morning Session in Abu Dhabi

Javert

How ugly drivers Paffett (and Turvey) are ...
Magnussen is far superior

Holm86

Javert wrote:How ugly drivers Paffett (and Turvey) are ...
Magnussen is far superior
Didnt know the Young Driver Test was a beauty contest? Thought it was all about driving.

raymondu999

I think our dear prison guard means they're bad drivers.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SchumiSutil

Paffet and Turvey are testing drivers, they're not chasing any lap times.

xDama

SchumiSutil wrote:Paffet and Turvey are testing drivers, they're not chasing any lap times.
Indeed, what they lack in speed, they make up in consistent lap times and feedback. But to be honest I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Mclaren are letting Paffet and Turvey drive. On each YDT they let their normal test-drivers drive at least 50% of the time. I think it's not fair as well for the other teams, but it's also not fair for so many drivers. You either test with rookies on a YDT, or you don't test at all.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Forza

Day 2 - Final classification