Driver performance science

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Driver performance science

I know this isn't quite in line with the more "mechanical" and "aerodynamic" aspects of "technical" that get discussed here, but I'm just curious, especially if anyone here is medical-trained.

Alonso has just done one of the best season-long performances of any grand prix driver. He made maybe just 1 or 2 mistakes season-long, and was pretty much on the ball over the season. But this thread isn't to debate that.

As a performance coach, I'm rather well-versed in practical psychology - and thus well aware of how powerful the mind and mindset is in all this. But at the same time - you can have the healthiest, sharpest mind, programmed in all the right ways, but it's never enough to *just* look at the mind.

Other than the sheer fact that a driver should hone their racecraft and their speed - what should a driver do to pursue this kind of season? Fitness? Changing their nutritional intake?

I'm looking for more scientific answers, rather than the qualitative "they should focus more, they should work out more" etc if possible.

Otherwise, all answers are well appreciated. :lol:
Last edited by raymondu999 on 06 Dec 2012, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

Re: Driver performance sustainability

I´m pretty sure one can widen this view across the whole team ...It´s necessary to build a "winning" attitude into all team members ..this includes the ones home based .
formula 1 recruiters often stretch the words "can do" attitude and selfmotivation but i think the real key is the lead figures within a team who lift their troops to new heights of performance.
Schumacher in his first career and now Alonso at Ferrari seem to be good examples ...as were Todt at Ferrari and Key wherever he goes.

timbo

Apparently Alonso put heavy emphasis on fitness.

raymondu999

marcush. wrote:I´m pretty sure one can widen this view across the whole team ...It´s necessary to build a "winning" attitude into all team members ..this includes the ones home based .
formula 1 recruiters often stretch the words "can do" attitude and selfmotivation but i think the real key is the lead figures within a team who lift their troops to new heights of performance.
Schumacher in his first career and now Alonso at Ferrari seem to be good examples ...as were Todt at Ferrari and Key wherever he goes.
yes I get that - but in terms of a physiological science perspective - what kinds of things should be chased?

I mean for example, could it be something as Alonso perhaps requesting better heat shielding at the drivers' seat, allowing him to maintain a cooler core temperature (even if only by a couple of degrees) than his rivals? Perhaps a bigger drinks bag, to allow him to escape dehydration to a greater extent than his rivals?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

Fighter spirit. Can´t teach that. (seriously)

I doubt it has anything to do with any science like having more water then everyone else.
Seems to me the only real tough race is Singapore.
Let´s face it, you need some solid neck muscles and a generally good physique but it´s not like Iron Man or similar.
Everyone in F1 is fit for fight, at the end of the day it´s universal alignment, making your own luck, your natural speed, your mental state and where you are in the championship points.

Leading by over 40 points and knowing you will play catch up for the rest of the season is enough of a carrot to go the extra mile in races.
He said himself he´s basically running qualifying pace in the races. Also apparent after the race, Vettel looks fresher then before he got into the car, Raikkonen a little bit tired and Alonso barely being able to stand on his feet.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Nando wrote:Fighter spirit. Can´t teach that. (seriously)
Yes, I'm quite aware of that...
raymondu999 wrote:As a performance coach, I'm rather well-versed in practical psychology - and thus well aware of how powerful the mind and mindset is in all this.
Everyone in F1 is fit for fight, at the end of the day it´s universal alignment, making your own luck, your natural speed, your mental state and where you are in the championship points.
Disagree. I don't think that it's about "you'll do well as long as you're fit enough." An increased level of fitness will always help - because it means your body can do more of the stability/etc on autopilot. You're then left with more spare capacity, easing your mental strain. Why do you think drivers always say before the winter "I'm going to work out harder than ever over the winter and come back fitter than ever?" It's because the extra fitness always helps.
He said himself he´s basically running qualifying pace in the races.
To be honest, when comparing with the other top drivers - who have all been around pre-2011 - I don't think this is any different (except when they're leading). Pre-2011, everyone was doing qualifying races with pitstops in between qualifying sprints anyway. Also we come to the fact that you plain can't do qualifying races nowadays - because you'll finish your tyres.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

Tell that to Webber and JB who are the fittest men endurance wise in the field.
It´s not Iron man, you need to be fit but anything above being fit is not gonna make you win or lose races/championships.

The post race speaks it´s own language regarding drivers being absolutely finished after the race.
But don´t take his word for it, he could be lying.

raymondu999

Nando wrote:Tell that to Webber and JB who are the fittest men endurance wise in the field.
Not sure about Webbo, but JB has said before that ever since he's started triathlons and done Iron Men - he's found it a lot easier to race, because his mind can be a lot more relaxed.
But don´t take his word for it, he could be lying.
To be honest I wouldn't take ANY driver's word at face value about their on-track performances. They say a lot of things that aren't necessarily true, and they're far and away from being the least biased people to be giving such assessments. To think otherwise is just foolish.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:Not sure about Webbo, but JB has said before that ever since he's started triathlons and done Iron Men - he's found it a lot easier to race, because his mind can be a lot more relaxed.
Webber does quite a lot of cycling etc.
That might be but it still doesn´t translate to results.

raymondu999 wrote:To be honest I wouldn't take ANY driver's word at face value about their on-track performances. They say a lot of things that aren't necessarily true, and they're far and away from being the least biased people to be giving such assessments. To think otherwise is just foolish.
Yea i´m sure he´s acting in front of the camera as well with a bottle over his head looking at the ground as if he´s about to die while Vettel and Raikkonen talk about the race, joke with each other as if it was a sunday drive.

raymondu999

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Not sure about Webbo, but JB has said before that ever since he's started triathlons and done Iron Men - he's found it a lot easier to race, because his mind can be a lot more relaxed.
Webber does quite a lot of cycling etc.
That might be but it still doesn´t translate to results.
Not directly, anyways. But there will most probably be a correlation.
Yea i´m sure he´s acting in front of the camera as well with a bottle over his head looking at the ground as if he´s about to die while Vettel and Raikkonen talk about the race, joke with each other as if it was a sunday drive.
Can we honestly not make this thread about Alonso? As I stated in the opening post,
raymondu999 wrote:Alonso has just done one of the best season-long performances of any grand prix driver. He made maybe just 1 or 2 mistakes season-long, and was pretty much on the ball over the season. But this thread isn't to debate that.
The thread is meant for proper scientific discussion of physiological, fitness, nutritional and psychological science and their effects on on-track performance. Unless you're willing to contribute scientific knowledge of such nature, I would very much appreciate it if you wouldn't bring driver discussions into this
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

Nutrition is hugely important, because what you put in your body goes a long way to determining how you feel, but that's only important if you're trying to get maximum performance out of yourself. I don't doubt Raikkonen's speed for instance, but you have to question whether his knack for partying contributes to his floundering in changing conditions, whereas someone like Button who is ultra healthy perhaps has an easier time adapting to changing conditions?

A steady diet of Legumes can certainly go a long way into preparing a driver psychologically. The prolonged periods in the excrimeditation chamber will allow said driver to think clearly about the matter at hand.
Last edited by godlameroso on 03 Dec 2012, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

Interesting. Why do you highlight changing conditions per se? As in - what in these changeable conditions would highlight those with a good vs bad diet?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

raymondu999 wrote:Interesting. Why do you highlight changing conditions per se? As in - what in these changeable conditions would highlight those with a good vs bad diet?
Changes in climate pressure have effects on stomach acids aside from that it would be a personal thing.

It's a conundrum, in some sense people need that release to remain motivated but at the same time their "undertakings" can have negative effects on their abilities to perform.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

Actually, while we're on the subject of nutritional intake, I wonder. Of the current teams I think 3 have energy drinks linkups. McLaren have Lucozade via GSK, Red Bull have... Red Bull, and Caterham have their LR8 or whatever energy drink. Lotus also have a coming linkup with Coca-Cola Burn. Mercedes have Monster...

The in-car drinks bottles are, as I understand it - actually special formulation energy drinks. Obviously, teams with some sort of sponsorship or linkup with energy drinks can leverage on their partnership to get help formulating special drinks. I wonder if that helps - because obviously, Lucozade/Red Bull/Monster all have in-house nutritionists.

Who does the formulation for example for Ferrari/Williams etc? I wonder actually if somehow someone can draw a correlation there :lol:
godlameroso wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Interesting. Why do you highlight changing conditions per se? As in - what in these changeable conditions would highlight those with a good vs bad diet?
Changes in climate pressure have effects on stomach acids aside from that it would be a personal thing.
Ah yes. Fair point. In fact carrying on from my previous point - I wonder if leveraging on that connection could help them in this sense. I do remember Webber having food poisoning in Fuji 2007, but I'm quite sure that's somewhat unrelated as he was sick since the morning anyways.
It's a conundrum, in some sense people need that release to remain motivated but at the same time their "undertakings" can have negative effects on their abilities to perform.
Indeed. It's like any other thing in life - "You must prime the pump before you start getting water" ~ Zig Ziglar.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo

raymondu999 wrote:The in-car drinks bottles are, as I understand it - actually special formulation energy drinks. Obviously, teams with some sort of sponsorship or linkup with energy drinks can leverage on their partnership to get help formulating special drinks. I wonder if that helps - because obviously, Lucozade/Red Bull/Monster all have in-house nutritionists.
I'm pretty sure that whatever liquid is in the bottles it has nothing to do with respective brands. Although it would look hilarious if Macca guys would be sipping Johny Walker during weekends :lol:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure diet alone can't give a performance advantage. As far as fitness go, IMO all the guys are at optimum. Also, after the race Alonso doesn't look particularly fresh, something which, for example, Schumacher was noted for. But nor was Senna, who often looked like he'd crash after he left the car. IMO those are body reactions which are particular to a person.