Return of San Marino GP?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
fritticaldi

Return of San Marino GP?

With the schedule now consisting of 19 Gp's , FOM is looking for a 20th GP. Although Bernie may settle for 19 GP's . We know the Turkey GP won't get Gov't support. The New Jersey race ain't happening yet. The Austrian GP doesn't have the right infrastructure ( apparently hotels are like 20 years ago). A possibility remains : Imola. The Italian media "Tuttosport" is making pressure to the mayor of Imola. The Enzo and Dino Autodromo was on the F1 calendar from 1980 until 2006 with a non-championship race in 1979. It was technical track and always produced exciting races.

timbo
timbo

Re: Return of San Marino GP?

fritticaldi wrote:It was technical track and always produced exciting races.
"Always" seems to be an exaggeration. Since the safety tweaks after 1994, it was notorious for lack of overtaking.

fritticaldi

Yes "timbo" I understand your point of view. I just watched some footage on youtube of the epic battle between Villeneuve and Pironi at the '82 San Marino GP. Lots of passing in those days, prettier cars , quality drivers...

jdlive
jdlive

The drivers didn't wear ear rings in those days, even the more feminine guys back then were still "men".
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

FW17

timbo wrote:
"Always" seems to be an exaggeration. Since the safety tweaks after 1994, it was notorious for lack of overtaking.
The revised layout may have solved that issue with variante bassa chicane has been removed, making the run from rivazza 2 to the tamburello chicane totally flat-out.

F1 should go back to the home of the tifosi, but a current slot is just too close to the monza date

FW17

timbo wrote:
The revised layout may have solved that issue with variante bassa chicane has been removed, making the run from rivazza 2 to the tamburello chicane totally flat-out.

F1 should go back to the home of the tifosi, but a current slot is just too close to the monza date

Hail22

I think it would be a fantastic Venue/Track.

Problem is Adrian Newey and therefore Red Bull will boycott the GP in fear that the San Marino Government would arrest him as soon as he enters San Marino territory, The San Marino Government believes he still has a case to answer (who knows it may of changed in the last year).

But I do enjoy San Marino, beautiful track, rich in history...although I do miss the Chicane :/
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

fritticaldi

Thanks for the pic Williams F1. It looks like they made a good job at renovating the pits and putting them to current standards.
The previous garages were 70's style.

FW17

If you ask me the new pits still look like the set for Rush, maybe they just upgraded to the larger garage size FIA required.

FW17

Hail22 wrote:
Problem is Adrian Newey and therefore Red Bull will boycott the GP in fear that the San Marino Government would arrest him as soon as he enters San Marino territory, The San Marino Government believes he still has a case to answer (who knows it may of changed in the last year).
Imola is italy, newey has been there many times since 1994

Hail22

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:
Imola is italy, newey has been there many times since 1994
Ah Correct you are I looked at the title and sort of went...zing San Marino...Andrian Newey...They never got on well with each other (and I believe still don't).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znroAxzcUKs[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Pandamasque

The track is awesome, apart from the post-2006 Variante Alta.
Hail22 wrote:I think it would be a fantastic Venue/Track.

But I do enjoy San Marino, beautiful track, rich in history...although I do miss the Chicane :/
Nonsense. First of all as already noted Imola is not really in San Marino, the reason it was called 'San Marino Grand Prix' is because there already were Italian and European ones... and San Marino isn't far so...
Besides that Newey doesn't have to visit every race.

The question however is whether and why Italy would fork out the necessary millions for FOM.

FW17

Pandamasque wrote: The question however is whether and why Italy would fork out the necessary millions for FOM.

Coz they with ferrari's weight behind can get a cheap deal

well if that doesn't work

fritticaldi

Not to mention In the vicinity to the Enzo and Dino Ferrari Autodromo , there are countless car manufacturing plants like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Torro Rosso, Pagani , Dallara, etc.

Vasconia

Since the changes made after 1994 Imola has offered a lot of dull races, its very trickty to overtake and without re-fuelling or high degradation the race could be terribly boring.