McLaren Fans: Jenson Button As Team Leader

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: McLaren Fans: Jenson Button As Team Leader

I forgot about paydrivers. Of course if McLaren considers Perez to be a paydriver (thanks to the sponsorship opportunities from Mexico) then he'd still be a paydriver.

But in the more normal sense of being paid to be an employee - hiring is still a show of some form of respect.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

horse

I think people are deliberately trying to equate a "team leader" with a team "#1" in the Alonso sense.

Sure, Button will be #1, while Hamilton is on gardening leave and Perez hasn't arrived yet, but I suspect for most of that time Button will actaully be in a gym in Japan.

But next year he will be the team leader, much as Hamilton was when Button arrived at McLaren and arguably beyond. As it's been said previously, Button's the guy people know and they will look towards him to lead the development of the car this year.

On the track, it will be business as usual and I'm sure that during the season, Perez's input will become more important with an eye to developing a car to suit both drivers to 2014. Also, if Perez comes good on his ambitions then I'm sure he will get a lot of support in the McLaren garage extremely quickly.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Phil

raymondu999 wrote:
Cam wrote:While of course you can respect Perez for what he has done, when you line him up against Button - who do you respect more?
To be fair, Cam - who you respect more has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not you respect the guy. Sure I'd respect Button more - but that doesn't mean I don't respect Perez.
I feel that in the context of this discussion, the word "respect" perhaps is a bit misleading. I agree that respect (as a person) is pretty much a requirement for someone to hire anyone. I do think however that Cam was using it in the context of who you give 'lead input' when designing your car for next year. This will surely be Button, for reasons that are logical: Button has a history with the team, he is a known quantity, in that the team knows how he drives, what his preferences are, how he communicates and what he means when he brings something to the table. He has experience with the car and the team, which is a valuable asset.

That doesn't mean that Perez won't be listened to when they're at the drawing board. I do think though that his input will be quite a bit more limited, having driven a completely different car last year. He'll more or less say what he's used to, perhaps talk about how things were set-up at Sauber (because that's what he can relate to), but follow Buttons lead on things he has yet to learn and find out for himself.

This doesn't always have to be like that though. Who gets "lead input" (or to what extend) pretty much depends on the image you've built up, your history and your perceived quality/image when you join a new team. I'm sure any team Michael Schumacher would join, regardless who his team-mate is, he will have substantial weight in what he brings to the drawing board, purely due to his status, his history and his experience. I would think the same applies for Alonso too - given he's raced at the very top teams, is a two time world champion - logically, his input carries weight - any team he joins, people will tend to look up at him and take note of what he says.

Hamilton going to Mercedes will be similar. Although he is the new kid at the factory compared to Rosberg and is yet to know the staff and engineers and bond with them, his experties and success as a long time McLaren driver will lead to interest in what he has to say. He comes from a highly successful team and given the shape Mercedes is in at this time, they will be all ears to any change or experience he can bring, to hopefully up their prospects. I would expect his word to be of very high value, irregardless what Rosberg does or wants. Of course, Rosberg's input will be equally important - as he knows the team, and especially the car.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

marcush.
marcush.

ultimately speed and results is what does count.
If perez delivers and puts Button behind him the team will firmly stand behind him .
Button has the pressure to deliver and I feel he is well prepared and ready.No question life is easier for Mclaren in everyday life.

jdlive
jdlive

rkn wrote:
jdlive wrote:Poor Mclaren, just after a season of having had the best car but managing to lose both championships due to their (all round lacking) drivers, now they have added an even worse driver in Perez.
Just not true, Hamilton easily wins the championship if not for unreliability/team mishaps.
"If's" don't matter much in reality. He didn't win it. Didn't even come close.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

jdlive
jdlive

Nando wrote:
jdlive wrote:Poor Mclaren, just after a season of having had the best car but managing to lose both championships due to their (all round lacking) drivers,
You just proved you haven´t watched the 2012 season of Formula One. I mean seriously where do you come up with this stuff?

Absolute utter nonsense.
Maybe you haven't checked the final standings?
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Mafia

Nando wrote:
Cam wrote:Just because you hire someone does not mean you respect them.
Well you certainly do not hire someone you do not respect.
I´m positive they respect him as a human being, but as a driver, that stuff needs to be earned on track in a Mclaren.
:)

I'll never hire someone because he is good as human. I'll rather make sure that the person is really the person who he claimes to be on his resume, in this case, Perez career is his resume, his podiums are his achivements, his races are his experience. If F1 teams were to select driver on basis of how good they are as human, Nelson mandela or Mother teressa would've driven for Mclaren or ferrari.

Having said that, I see your point and do acknowledge that personality is a big part of an F1 driver.

So. Calm, quiet and reserved driver is not what Mclaren will try to get (Raikkonen turned out to be one for them), they'll rather have someone rutless, aggressive, outspoken as he could beat Helmet Marko in word war, clever as ... errr the driver who was declared as best by team bosses, and offcourse, Fast as anything.
Fuel Minimum, Engine power Maximum, Comittement Off the scane

PlatinumZealot

marcush. wrote:ultimately speed and results is what does count.
If perez delivers and puts Button behind him the team will firmly stand behind him .
Button has the pressure to deliver and I feel he is well prepared and ready.No question life is easier for Mclaren in everyday life.
Nope. They will put all their resources into getting Button up to speed if that happens!
They diverted every single resourc in 2012 when Button hit is slump, and it was futile in the long run anyways, Mclaren still finished behind RBR and Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

jdlive wrote:
Nando wrote:
jdlive wrote:Poor Mclaren, just after a season of having had the best car but managing to lose both championships due to their (all round lacking) drivers,
You just proved you haven´t watched the 2012 season of Formula One. I mean seriously where do you come up with this stuff?

Absolute utter nonsense.
Maybe you haven't checked the final standings?
You just want attention. The driver's weren't the problem. It obviously was car reliability and team mistakes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏