The most succesful TV graphics ever.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mariano

The most succesful TV graphics ever.

Which is, in your opinion, the best TV cover graphics (= when TV post the rev counter, the race order (clasification), pitstops (race order after x/y laps), etc)?

Mine is 2005.

Blue fellow

Re: The most succesful TV graphics ever.

I enjoy the current one, I particularly like the rev counter/gear/speed.

sesku

1998-2003. The day when Siemen and Tag Heuer was the sponsor.
This letter is computer-generated ; no signature is required.

TzeiTzei

The tag heuer graphics were quite legendary, but i think the current ones are the best because you can actually get a sense of what is going on in the race. That hasnt always been the case. They had reasonable graphics already in the 80's (gaps, even a track map with the cars' positions) but the problem was that they didnt use it enough. Showing the top6 every 10 laps or so was just a big f*** you towards the tv viewers. You had no idea what was going on behind the leaders. Thankfully that has improved in the recent years.

PlatinumZealot

I wish they put the throttle and brake icons like Gran turismo 3. And possible a steering icon. So we can see how the driver is steering.

Imagine these two icons added to the screen every now and then. Now imagine this in Monaco! =P~
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

NathanOlder

Dont really have enough time to look at the screen, let alone the onscreen graphics :) Live timing is king!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mafia

mariano wrote:Mine is 2005.
+1
Fuel Minimum, Engine power Maximum, Comittement Off the scane

gold333

It's a shame that throttle position is always displayed analogue and brake use is always converted to digital on the overlays, it's always been like that. Secrecy I suppose.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Jersey Tom

I believe this topic has come up before. With regard to brakes it's not really straight forward to display like that. Throttle is relatively easy in that it's a fixed scale of 0 to 100%. Brake pressure isn't. Depending on the car design, setup, and driver the max brake pressure can vary quite a bit. I'd see that as a bit of a pain for a TV broadcast to manage. Even the units that each team have their sensors calibrated to, are they all psi? Bar? kPa? What value do you pick as a global maximum? Easier to have it as an on/off display.

Steering is easy I suppose, but for that matter you can already see what the driver is doing on the wheel, no?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

gold333 wrote:It's a shame that throttle position is always displayed analogue and brake use is always converted to digital on the overlays, it's always been like that. Secrecy I suppose.
This would be because its a lot more difficult to display braking as an analogue signal. The two main problems being the fact that braking is a force based input rather than a simple movement like a throttle pedal and second there is no easy way to define what is 100% of braking in the same way that you can with 100% throttle.

The best way to visualise braking is to display brake pressure but its then only possible to compare cars using the same master cylinder and caliper cylinder diameters, so not possible for F1 because red bull might use 80bar to brake at 1g while ferrari might use 50bar.

The simple solution is to just give a brake light indication which is very simple and lets you at least pick braking points from the onboard shots.

If you want to compare braking performance, have a look at the longitudinal acceleration. This is by far the coolest addition to the on screen graphics. Would be better if they kept a trace showing the last few seconds so you could see how much of the gg potential that a certain ddriver can obtain

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

gold333

Surely the telemetry reads the potentiometer on the brake in a %, just like the throttle? The psi that that translates to I would say is irrelevant. Imo that % would just as easily translate to the tv overlay as the throttle. I really think it's secrecy more than a technical constraint.

I could be wrong though.

Edit: you made your post while I was writing mine.. So the brake telemetry doesn't measure a % on the pedal?
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Paul

Interestingly enough, I remember that (ages ago) there was an analogue graphic for brake application, I wonder how that was done/calibrated...

Jersey Tom

gold333 wrote:So the brake telemetry doesn't measure a % on the pedal?
Nope. No such thing as "100% brake." I'd say in general, race car brake systems are set up to be very stiff and modulated by force rather than displacement... and that data logging is done almost entirely by line pressure. By very stiff I'd say that ideal case is that the pedal hardly moves at all.

In any event a "continuous" (as opposed to on/off switch) brake readout is certainly doable, just need to pick an appropriate range and make sure everything is consistent. Easier to do as a switched output.

I suppose it's also contingent on how all of this is set up to the TV broadcasters - are they getting telemetry from the teams sensors, or do they install their own? In the latter case a brake pressure switch (like would be used for a brake light) is a lot cheaper and easier than a pressure transducer.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Hotdogger

I quite like the current ones and think they're the best yet. They deliver all needed info in a neat and crisp fashion without hogging up a quarter of the screen like stateside sports graphic overlays do, particularly NASCAR.

MadMatt

sesku wrote:1998-2003. The day when Siemen and Tag Heuer was the sponsor.
THIS.